PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an E&E?

Mr Yarrow
06-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Putting this in here as the bag is an E&E and my forum google-fu has failed me :(

I have just got a second hand E&E, which I am very happy with :D

However, on the front is a small black stain/spot and I interested in knowing what best to use on the Kif fabric to try and clean it off with?

Ta

straps
06-26-2009, 04:39 PM
This has worked for me in the past. Go easy with the chemicals involved, and rinse completely between attempts to eliminate the possibility of chemical reactions.

First try Woolite--just a couple drops. Work it in (nylon brush, circular pattern), let it sit. Wet the lather, then brush in a circular pattern with a wet, nylon-bristled brush. Let it dry and check your results.

If that doesn't work, wet the spot to rinse off any remaining Woolite. Then let it dry.

Try Goo Gone, same process. Goo Gone is citrus and petroleum based.

If the Goo Gone doesn't work, I would advise living with the stain. If the stain keeps you up at night, try Goof Off.

CAVEATS WITH GOOF OFF:

Rinse the spot thoroughly to eliminate as much of the Woolite and Goo Gone as possible. First with warm water from the tap, then with cold water from the tap. Let the pack dry.

Goof Off is petroleum based, and will affect the fabric if left in it. Goof Off tells you to do the "test in an inconspicuous area" thing. I rarely do this... Apply a drop or two to the spot while dry. Brush (circular pattern, nylon brush), then blot with a moist cloth. RINSE THOROUGHLY, again with cool running water. Let dry. If this doesn't work, consider my original suggestion.

AndyL
06-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Have you tried some pure nikwax tech wash and a old tooth brush?

Mr Yarrow
06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Have you tried some pure nikwax tech wash and a old tooth brush?

Is that the stuff I use to re-proof my waterproof jacket?

If so, Ive run out and need to buy some more, will give it a try :)

Rgds

Mr Yarrow
06-28-2009, 06:27 PM
This has worked for me in the past. Go easy with the chemicals involved, and rinse completely between attempts to eliminate the possibility of chemical reactions.

First try Woolite--just a couple drops. Work it in (nylon brush, circular pattern), let it sit. Wet the lather, then brush in a circular pattern with a wet, nylon-bristled brush. Let it dry and check your results.

If that doesn't work, wet the spot to rinse off any remaining Woolite. Then let it dry.

Try Goo Gone, same process. Goo Gone is citrus and petroleum based.

If the Goo Gone doesn't work, I would advise living with the stain. If the stain keeps you up at night, try Goof Off.

CAVEATS WITH GOOF OFF:

Rinse the spot thoroughly to eliminate as much of the Woolite and Goo Gone as possible. First with warm water from the tap, then with cold water from the tap. Let the pack dry.

Goof Off is petroleum based, and will affect the fabric if left in it. Goof Off tells you to do the "test in an inconspicuous area" thing. I rarely do this... Apply a drop or two to the spot while dry. Brush (circular pattern, nylon brush), then blot with a moist cloth. RINSE THOROUGHLY, again with cool running water. Let dry. If this doesn't work, consider my original suggestion.

Some good ideas but I think they are all American brand names and Im in the UK :(

I have some citrus based sticky stuf remover I may try if the Nikwax cleaner idea doesnt work :)

Thanks for the options.

Rgds

BuckarooMedic
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Just live with it, adds character :)

straps
06-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Some good ideas but I think they are all American brand names and Im in the UK :(

I have some citrus based sticky stuf remover I may try if the Nikwax cleaner idea doesnt work :)

Thanks for the options.

Rgds

Hah looks like folks on your side of the pond are smarter about consumer sales of dangerous pollutants (and edged instruments);)

Here is a link to an equivalent product from another enthusiast site that may work. Given that there are references to people huffing the stuff :(, it sounds like a similar composition...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=168220

AndyL
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Is that the stuff I use to re-proof my waterproof jacket?

If so, Ive run out and need to buy some more, will give it a try :)

Rgds

well the tech wash is the wash before re-proof. It's just a nice soap that wont damage any coating on the fabric. I'll have to test the marauder properly in the wet and maybe try the tent and gear proof. Those nasty johny command people keep us out in silly weather.

Mr Yarrow
06-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Thats great, I know exactly where the evo-stick stuff can be bought :D

And yes you are right, people do sniff Evo products so they are locked behind the till in a flammables cabinet. You also cant buy it under the age of 18.

Ta

Mr Yarrow
06-30-2009, 05:04 PM
well the tech wash is the wash before re-proof. It's just a nice soap that wont damage any coating on the fabric. I'll have to test the marauder properly in the wet and maybe try the tent and gear proof. Those nasty johny command people keep us out in silly weather.

You are right, I meant the washing stuff, I have some of the proofer left :rolleyes:

Thanks Andy.

Rgds