PDA

View Full Version : GPS Mounting

never.truly.lost
06-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Good day all,

I just had a quick question for those of you with the GPS/Phone Pouch. I received mine about a month ago and have been wondering if it is a MALICE version or a universal mounting version. I looked at some photos especially those of the 2008 E&E page and the malice version has actual 1" webbing and a malice clip.
Ther version I received has a vertical 1" velcro strip which I though was to thread onto the MOLLE, however it does not have a lot of retention.

Anyone who can clarify which version I have, and if it is a malice version, is there some secret way to mount it without having it flop around or velcro come undone.

All help appreciated, and stay safe.
Andrew

David in OR
06-25-2009, 09:07 AM
I got the velcro "universal mount" also. This is how I have it rigged:
http://davidbrande.com/gps_pouch.jpg

never.truly.lost
06-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, that is the same as mine. Did you order a malice or a universal mount? And also, how is the retention of the velcro on that part of the shoulder strap?
Thanks for your reply.
Andrew

David in OR
06-26-2009, 09:56 AM
With the velcro strip running through three points of contact on the shoulder strap, it seems fine for my eTrex. Of course, it's certainly nowhere as secure as a MALICE attachment. It's possible to imagine it being forcibly ripped from the shoulder strap. But I wanted the pouch to ride there on the strap, so I ordered the universal mount. Being a civilian, that is to say not being shot at and not navigating in a war zone, I'm happy with this setup.