PDA

View Full Version : Knife for Iraq deployment

RD
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
I have a relative who is heading for Iraq in Aug. and I am going to make him a knife for his journey. Having never served in the military I was hoping to garner some insight from the veterans here on what type of knife you had/wished you had when you were serving there.

I have a hard time envisioning some type of mondo zombie killing Bowie knife doing much good except weighing down an already hefty load. (I'm thinking along the lines of 12" max. length.)

What would you want on a daily basis in a fixed blade to handle most chores?

Length overall, blade length?
guard, no guard?
Pummel, or not?
Finish/color a concern i.e camo or not important?

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RD

Sereal
06-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Cool idea, here are my thoughts on it:

Length overall, blade length?

4-5 inches max blade, anything longer is getting a bit unwieldy for everyday use. Full-tang construction if you can manage it.

guard, no guard?

Doesn't have to have a guard but some way to be sure your hand doesn't slide down the blade is a good idea.

Pummel, or not?

Dunno here, depends on your design I guess. One of my friends used his during SERE training to crush some stuff but while I was in Iraq I never had to do that.

I'm heading back to Iraq myself early next month (for the third time) and a good solid knife is a most useful thing to have.

Finish/color a concern i.e camo or not important?

Any subdued color is probably going to be better, if you're going to leave the blade naked at least try to put a satin finish on it. Shiny = dangerous IMO.

scothill
06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
how about a good multitool?

Sereal
06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
In general usefulness I think a good multi-tool > knife, but the OP said he was going to make the knife and I was thinking that a multi-tool might be a tad too complicated to make.

scothill
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
ooopsss missed that part skimming the op. Sorry. Although a nice custom multitool would have a hell of a lot of cache (sp?) to it.

Bullfrog
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
RAT Cutlery (Not to be confused with Ontario's RAT line) make some exceptional blades and have a good reputation among military and LEO.

I'd recommend taking a look at either the RC-3MIL, RC-4 or RC-5 depending on the blade length/thickness you prefer, or is recommended to you here. These three should stand as good models to help answer your questions for what to look for - the RC-3MIL was designed for LEO and soldiers and the RC-5 was designed as a downed pilots survival knife (its a .25 inch thick!). They can be had for around $105-130, come with great sheaths, tough-as-nails, unbeatable warranty and are American made.

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-3mil.htm

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-4.htm

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-5.htm

Mr Yarrow
06-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Not sure from your details where you/your friend is, but if they are British I have heard several stories of personal knives being confiscated on return from operations.

From memory that has been in carry on and hold luggage.

Just a note of warning is all.

Rgds

ryanusmc
06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
I really like my SOG seal pup. It has the best sheath I've ever seen/used. If I could design a knife it would be based on said knife but sport a flat pommel for prying, and not have such a prominent end to the blade, so rope can't get caught between the grip and the blade.

That knife saved my life and will be buried with me when I die.

David in OR
06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
That knife saved my life and will be buried with me when I die.

I respectfully request the story, here.

Mardayo
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I am still a big fan of the Ka Bar. It goes with me when ever I go into the field.

ryanusmc
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I respectfully request the story, here.

Sorry, I'm usually an open book but this story is mine.

Archaon
06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Never been in war so not much good suggestion here, but I know a site that contains pretty much different types of knife review. Maybe you can find something good here. Enjoy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy

RD
06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for all the input. You have put me on the right track with some very practical designs I have admired for some time. It's good to hear it from those who have been there though.

Scott, good idea on the multi-tool but Sereal is correct, a bit out of my mechanical abilities at this juncture in my knife making career.

The Rat knives are nice clean designs and I liked the profile of the R5 the best but I think I'll go a little thinner in stock material.

No worries on the knife confiscation, he's a good ole' MO. boy.

Ryan, I agree on the edgeless area (ricasso (?)) just ahead of the scales/handle. I have never really understood why some think it better to have the edge further away from the hand, especially when they have designed in a guard to protect the fingers. The closer your hand is to the cutting edge the better leverage you have.

Thanks again and now to put pencil to paper and get on with it.

RD

David in OR
06-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry, I'm usually an open book but this story is mine.

Understood. Hope you don't mind my asking.