PDA

View Full Version : POD question

NXP
06-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Hello all, new guy lurking. :D

I was looking at the modular configuration that Mel posted with the G2 MMR frame containing the Pods, and had a few questions that I couldn't see from the website or the images Mel posted.

1) Do the Pods have a storm flap to cover the interior contents when cinched down?
2) I'm beginning to understand the concept of the dock and lock attachment, but the Pods don't have PALS on them, so they attach directly too the frame, correct? Long pockets etc would DnL to the straps that secure the Pods - if I understand this correctly.
3) Does the Military CargoChair (non hunter) have the PALS along the bottom of the seat? (Eg, folding the seat up flat against the frame would generate a panel similar to a shortened, strapless Omni yoke.)

I think the most difficult thing for me is getting my head around all the possible combinations - taking one frame and creating anything from a daypack/hauler to a full blown expedition pack just by swapping around a few modules...

gdw042
06-22-2009, 11:35 PM
I'll do my best...

"1) Do the Pods have a storm flap to cover the interior contents when cinched down?"

No, they do not.

"2) I'm beginning to understand the concept of the dock and lock attachment, but the Pods don't have PALS on them, so they attach directly too the frame, correct? Long pockets etc would DnL to the straps that secure the Pods - if I understand this correctly."

Pods basically attach via D&L. If you have the real estate to put female SR (Side Release) buckles somewhere, you can put a pod there. The new G2 packs come with more tab attachment points specifically for pod attachment. You can also put the female SR buckles on a PALS grid, spaced for the pod you are using. So basically, no, they do not attach to the frame, they attach to the pack. Some locations work better than others. There are numerous pics on this board of creative attachment points for pods.

"3) Does the Military CargoChair (non hunter) have the PALS along the bottom of the seat? (Eg, folding the seat up flat against the frame would generate a panel similar to a shortened, strapless Omni yoke.)"

No it does not.

"I think the most difficult thing for me is getting my head around all the possible combinations - taking one frame and creating anything from a daypack/hauler to a full blown expedition pack just by swapping around a few modules..."

That's the best part!!! :-)

Hope this helps!!
GDW

DavidLewis
06-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Hello all, new guy lurking. :D
1) Do the Pods have a storm flap to cover the interior contents when cinched down?
As noted, they do not, nor do they need one. The "mouth" of the Pod is snugged against the pack when it's D&L'd onto it.

2) I'm beginning to understand the concept of the dock and lock attachment, but the Pods don't have PALS on them, so they attach directly too the frame, correct? Long pockets etc would DnL to the straps that secure the Pods - if I understand this correctly.
If I understand your question, I believe your understanding of D&L may be flawed: As GDW pointed out, there are many places to attach female SR buckles: dedicated points as well as the PALS grid. D&L Long Pockets would attach via points chosen as best fit for them (not the Pod's D&L straps), while the same would be true for the Pods. They might be adjacent points of attachment, or not.
Pods do have a couple of rows of PALS webbing on them, primarily to space & secure the D&L straps, but I'm sure someone has probably attached something to them at some time, and will again!

Search through the forum & website: there are a ton of photos that help to understand the incredible modularity of Kifaru packs. Actually getting your hands on one will crystalize anything that may remain murky!

David

NXP
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks so much David and GDW. What you are both saying about the DnL makes more sense than what I said (I couldn't articulate it very well, but I understand better with both your descriptions). I think you're right, this would make a lot more sense with one in my hands to figure out. Off to continue looks at Mel's and other's pictures.

:D