PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Doobie Pics!

Mel
06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey guys, some of you were wondering in another thread what Regulator stuffsack to use for a Doobie. The answer to that would be a small stuffsack. Here are some pics showing the Doobie in our small Regulator stuffsack.

This pic shows the Doobie in the stuffsack next to a Nalgene bottle.

This pic shows the Doobie compressed vertically next to the Nalgene

The next 2 pics show the Doobie in the bottom lid of an Express

Here's the Doobie in the bottom of a Scout

Here's the Doobie in the bottom of an Xray

Hope you enjoyed them.

Mel

Mel
06-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, I forgot to take a pic of it, but the stuffed Doobie will also fit in a standard Long Pocket. Also, the Woobie obviously can be compressed much smaller than the Doobie. Unfortunately, I just can't take pics of every configuration possible with our gear. Our slogan "Modular and Multifunctional" really does say it all.

Mel

revelation2012
06-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Back in my college days I would have been all over a "Stuffed Doobie" . . . Seriously this may be a nice piece of kit in the near future. I might be able to get the wife back out camping.

jadias
06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Mel, would it be worth getting a small stuffsack for a Woobie G2 (as opposed to a Doobie)? That compressed Doobie looks the same size as my Woobie when I fit it in the bottom of my Express! Would the stuffsack help it at all?

Mel
06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey jadias, if you want to compress your Woobie as small as possible, then our small stuff sack is the way to go. It will compress much smaller than the Doobie you see in the pics. The thing you have to remember, is that when you put your Woobie in the bottom of the Express, it will compress down into a smaller package when you put the rest of your gear on top of it.

Mel

rt014
06-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks Mel...I was one of the ones wondering about the Woobie/Doobie in the stuff sacks.

I'll definitely add that to my cart next time :)

jadias
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Brilliant, thanks Mel. It's hard to see how the sack compresses stuff lengthwise, so I was wondering if it'd all squeeze out that way when you tried to compress it circumferentially. I need to order some Mini Longs anyway so I'll probably throw a stuffsack into the mix too. :)

andyoz
06-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Thank you Mel that's just what I wanted to see. You really do move fast!

It looks like a small stuff sack is a very useful bit of kit to go with the Doobie, especially is you want to lash it to a small bag or pack it in a much larger sack.

Thanks.

circle
06-23-2009, 04:52 AM
It's hard to see how the sack compresses stuff lengthwise, so I was wondering if it'd all squeeze out that way when you tried to compress it circumferentially

The sack doesn't compress along the length, though as Mel's pics show it compresses down amazingly under weight . It has the same cordage and buckle at the opening which you cinch up to prevent the contents spilling. I find it good to partially cinch that up then start cranking down the line loc's and adjust the whole thing as i go. This way seems to even out the compression and makes the most of the available space.

Kifaru stuff sacks are a blinding bit of kit. I'm surprised nobody thought of it before.

hope that helps,

Si

Wingate
09-17-2009, 02:24 AM
whats the best way to place Doobie in stuff bags? rolled up and pushed in or stuffed down staightinto the bags any old way? Would the latter method affect the insulation of the Doobie as well? thanks for any input.

Ralph
09-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Mel, has anyone ever dissected a Woobie to determine the extent, if any, of damage to the insulation from long-term storage?

I'm thinking here in the context of a bugout bag, a pack of essential gear to be grabbed in the event of a rapid-onset emergency. The gear may sit for weeks/months/years without being used.

The best storage is loose, perhaps loosely folded into a large storage bin. The problem is that while stuffing the Woobie into its stuff sack doesn't take that long, it does take some time - time you may not have.

As I see it, there are three methods of storage:

- loose, with no impact on the insulation indefinitely.
- stuffed into its integral stuff sack with some (how much?) loss of loft.
- compressed into a small compression sack with considerable (how much) loss of loft.

It would be interesting to have some reasonable numbers to plug in there.

P.S. My early camping days preceded the use of stuff sacks. As I recall, one of the advantages of stuffing, touted when the idea was new, was that you will never stuff twice in the same way (as opposed to folding and rolling) and this minimizes crease wear on the object stuffed.

square peg
09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I keep my woobie in the bottom of my xray in its stuff sack. I know it has decreased its loft. It is hard to quantify the amount of loss but I can tell just the same. However, like a down bag, it does seem to regain some of its loft after you take it out and let it lay for awhile. It is a trade off I can live with. Like you, I think it is a great piece of kit for BOB or E&E and I am willing to lose some loft for the insurance of having it ready to go at a moments notice. I think getting a second woobie(doobie?) makes sense for other situations.

Mel
09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Ralph, I haven't heard of anyone dissecting a Woobie yet. I know Wiggys used to vacuum pack some of his bags for flight crews to store under their seats, and they supposedly still performed after removing them from the seal. If you need to keep a bag compressed for long periods of time, I think you will experience a small decrease in performance for any insulation, be it down or synthetic.

Mel

Ralph
09-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Mel, you might be able to guesstimate the loft loss by taking a piece of the insulation, measuring the loft then storing it under a weight (cinder block, stack of books, whatever) for a couple of months then measuring the loft after it's had a chance to expand when the weight is removed. I'd try it myself, but don't have any insulation (except what's in my Woobie and no, I won't cut that open).

cpti
09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Mel, you might be able to guesstimate the loft loss by taking a piece of the insulation, measuring the loft then storing it under a weight (cinder block, stack of books, whatever) for a couple of months then measuring the loft after it's had a chance to expand when the weight is removed. I'd try it myself, but don't have any insulation (except what's in my Woobie and no, I won't cut that open).

There isn't any other data out there to compare it to, so you'd have a single value not knowing if ClimaShield is better or worse than any other insulation.

Just from experience, I'd say that pulling it out and giving it a few vigorous flaps, then using it will give you about 90-95% of what it was anyway.

US Ranger
10-17-2013, 05:03 PM
i have both the woobie and the doobie, used both daily in Afghanistan last year, depending on the weather..... got the stuff sacks to go along with them and what a difference in packing size the stuff sacks made.....those stuff sacks are truely worth thier wieght in gold.....excellent product