PDA

View Full Version : Scout question

Moloch38
09-08-2003, 07:22 AM
In the works to spend all my pennies on a Pointman and really liked the Scout. Does it have its own shoulder straps, the website wasn't too clear, or is it simply for the lack of a better word a "fanny pack"? I liked it for the possible use as a butt-pack type replacement that could carry more gear and ride in a much better position, because as we all know the butt pack is the devil. I also planned on possibly piggy-backing it to the Pointman. For the cost is this something worth doing down the road, or should I just stick with a back pouch for the Pointman at a sixth of the cost.

Moloch38
09-08-2003, 07:26 AM
I guess I am answering my own questions here sorry, but yes I see that it does have retractable shoulder straps.

Kifaru is definitely the heat, your guys stuff looks to be bombproof, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Is it worth saving my pennies up for the Scout, or should I stick with the as is? Can anyone give me some personal experiences of opinions?

Mel
09-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Moloch38:

The Scout works well piggybacked to a Pointman, and a few customers have ordered that combination. With this set up, you can click off the Scout and use it like a buttpack, but with far better results. The Scout will carry much more than a GI buttpack, has PALS webbing all over the exterior for MOLLE compatable pockets, and has a real suspension system that offers true comfort of carry. In fact, with the waistbelt and Delta straps cinched, it literally becomes part of your body with no bounce or sway. Add the PALS on the waistbelt for more pouches (mags, gps, canteens, Nalgene, or whatever), and the low profile shoulder straps, and you can see the versatility of this set up.

The Pointman with the pockets and accessories that you want to order is an excellent set up, and if you decide that the Scout has features that you're looking for, rest assured that the Pointman/Scout combination works well together.

Mel

Moloch38
09-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Thank alot Mel, its great to have rock solid advice straight from the source. I think I am going to go with my current set up and then save up to add on the Scout later. The website pics show that the Scout works well with add on pouches. I am very excited about stocking up on Kifaru, if only the pennies came in faster.

Moloch38
09-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I like the sound of the low profile straps.

Has anyone had any experience of how well the Scout works with a web belt full of gear when using say an LCE or LBV?

-- I was wondering how compatible the two are.

If anyone has had any experience using the two and they work well together, is that something you would want one to go high and the other low so you can use the Scout's waist belt? Or maybe another alternative or suggestion?

-Experiences, suggestions please.

Moloch38
09-08-2003, 09:42 PM
I feel silly answering my own questions. Maybe my giddyness over getting some Kifaru gear has blinded me to the substancial information already on the website, I now see that both the shoulder straps and the waistbelt are stashable.
I assume that with the waistbelt stashed the Scout works great with any kind of web gear.

-Still any first hand experiences? It seems the Scout might have some sway without the waist belt.

Sgathak
09-09-2003, 11:15 AM
You may get the best fit with a scout by using a chest rig.

You do not want to use it without the hipbelt.

BuckarooMedic
09-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Mo -

I have not used the Pointman with an LBV or LBE, but I have used both my Navigator and Marauder extensively with my LBE set-up. The Omni belt is the same on all Kifaru packs (I believe) and it works very well with my LBE that I have adjusted so it rides a little higher up on my abdomen. That way I can utilize the Omni belt the way it was intended to be used. I have also worn my old MountainSmith Day pack with my LBE and it works out great also.
Hope this helps.

Take care. . .

eggroll
09-10-2003, 12:52 PM
the waist belt is the CORE of the kifaru pack line, trying to use the pack without it or tucked away and you just as well ought to use a HEFTY bag strapped to your LCE!

Everyone is sized differently, thus interfacing LCE and packs can and will be a contentious issue for some folks.

As Sgathak put it, you will get your best combination with using a chest rig. I can use an HSG Denali with my EMR and M-pack without any interference, I CANNOT say the same for an LBV setup

EGG