PDA

View Full Version : Which Pack to replace my CFP 90?

Bigler
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I took a long (10 mile) road march with my CFP90 the other day and decided that I want to replace it. I need to have the same amount of space, any suggestions?

I'm thinking Pointman but its about 1000 cubic inches too small. The Navigator is the correct size, anything wrong with that? Maybe a Zulu with a Toop Lid?

I'm open to anything.

straps
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
That's the easiest question ever posted on this board.

The EMR is a cube-for-cube equivalent (plus) to the CFP-90, looks like a CFP-90 if you squint. Carries much MUCH better.

Do you have a REAL CFP or is it one of those junk ChiComm knockoffs available through CTD? (If you have a genuine CFP, there ARE people out there who covet that pack..)

Your profile is scant on details; if armor is a possibility the AG2 will offer nearly the capacity and easier carriage with armor.

Or you could consider a ZXR, if you're SURE you'll never use the Hauler option (which I was ambivalent about until the first time I had to do cross-country portage). Similar form factor, suspension is superior to CFP-90...

Hope this helps...

Bigler
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
straps,

I have the real CFP90, assault pack included. From what I can gather the CFP 90 has about 3800-4200 cubic inches and the EMR is double that. When I was deployed I lived out of my CFP 90 for 7-10 days at a time (it was more convient than using a duffel and I was an engineer at the time). I'm needing something that handle the same mission.

I don't think I need a hauler but I like the top and bottom loading design of the CFP 90, which is why I like the Pointman but the Navigator is the same capacity.

Maybe I should get a Pointman and add some Long pockets?

I'm looking to drop about $1500 for an E&E, Marauder, and a larger pack plus all the accessories that I want and I want to make the most informed decision I can.

I guess this is a good problem to have? :)

scoutmedic372
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I still have one of the originals made by Lowe Alpine. that ruck has been around the world twice, still kicking strong. Actually too big now for me to carry but my son will get it someday.

straps
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I would be inclined to say there is something"off" on the CFP-90's volume measure (and that it's being understated a bit--even though those pockets are kind of useless and maybe shouldn't be counted as "volume" LOL). The EMR does have more volume above the stays. I don't own an EMR but I used (and still own) a CFP-90, and spec'd the EMR as a replacement for an organization that continues to use them (the circumferences of the main and sleeping bag compartment, not the height of the main compartment, were the critical parameters in my earlier research).

Navigator vs. Pointman is panel loader (access to lots of small things) vs. top loader (access to a few big things) (suspensions same). BOTH have bottom load zippers. Wrap Tech suspension is probably my favorite. Smaller sleeping bag compartment than CFP/EMR (an issue if you use 3-piece MSS).

Zulu is a popular pack with lots of fans but I use mine the least (it's my summer couch surfing, low-budget urban adventuring BOB).

Medic17
07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
(If you have a genuine CFP, there ARE people out there who covet that pack..)

What if I have a early / experimental OD Lowe Alpine CFP-90

elkhead
07-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi:
Look at
http://www.ripstoprepairs.com/

This is a quote from a web site I found "is an authorized Lowe repair shop. They can fix almost anything, and did a great job on my pack. They will do custom jobs, too, and seem to be familiar with the mil-spec gear."

Here is the site I got the info from

http://www.hikingreviews.com/gear-reviews/57-military-and-surplus/96-combat-field-pack.html

Ralph
07-21-2009, 03:51 AM
Medic17: I had the same or very similar pack. The surplus store also had another experimental version with a built-in rapelling harness. It was better than the Alice-Large it replaced. I sold it a few years ago when I started making my own packs. Got more than I paid for it as I recall.

AbnMedOps
07-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Medic17, you might possibly have an experimental, Lowe-made CFP-90, in OD, but more likely it is a Lowe LOCO. Either way I would think it is a desirable piece to have, from a gear/militaria collector standpoint.

The LOCO dates from the early 1980's, and was later marketed under a Lowe spin-off as the "Vector" series. Chuck Taylor did a review article in the original SWAT magazine about 1983 or so.. I have that deep in my files.

I've never seen a prototype CFP-90, so I don't know if they were ever OD, but I recall a big Natick photo-fest in 1986, with "tomorrow's soldier" in BDU, Kevlar, Gargoyls or BLIPS, M-16A2, Load Bearing Vest, and a Woodland pattern CFP-90. This was a full page newspaper write-up.

Medic17
07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
There is almost no doubt its a CFP-90. It has the 3 Alice Rows, Side Pockets, Twin Gear loops, Military Release Straps, and Internal Radio Holster. I just wish I knew where to unload such a pack, its in good shape with lots of life left. Mine is just collecting dust.

jadias
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
There is almost no doubt its a CFP-90. It has the 3 Alice Rows, Side Pockets, Twin Gear loops, Military Release Straps, and Internal Radio Holster. I just wish I knew where to unload such a pack, its in good shape with lots of life left. Mine is just collecting dust.
eBay that sucker. There are collectors, especially if you are willing to ship to Asia, who will pay BIG money for rare gear.

A buddy of mine sold an MBSS plate carrier on there recently for about $600. $600 for a frickin' plate carrier. I know if I had something unusual to offload, that's where I'd go.