PDA

View Full Version : Help placing a pod on a ZXR

Edod
06-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a G1 ZXR with XTL that I am trying to organize for a weeks backpack trip. I have a Long Pocket on either side. I plan to use a medium pod to hold my 4 man Tipi and some other gear (the poles and pegs will go in a slot pocket). As I understand from most of the pictures I can find on the Kifaru site and on the message board, the pod should be attached to the bottom of the ZXR. When I attach it there, the pod hits the top of my thighs when I walk. It is not horrible, but it is not comfortable. Should I just suck it up or am I doing something wrong? What about mounting the pod on the top lid or the front of the pack instead? Will that tend to throw the pack's balance off and make carrying it more uncomfortable over time?

Thanks in advance.

Brotzie
06-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd always go for top mount rather than bottom - it's still close to your center of gravity, and I find having the pod on the underside also destabilises it when you put it down.

Edod
06-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks Brotzie

docw
06-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Another thing with putting pockets on the bottom or top of packs is to tighten the compression straps that are away from you tighter than the ones toward you. This should pull the pocket away from you.

Mel
06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey Edod, docw is correct with his assessment on mounting the Pod. You should not have any interference with a Pod when mounted on the bottom of your pack. When you tighten your compression straps, adjust it so the Pod is pulled a little more to the rear than the front. I can march, run, or climb with no Pod interference when it is mounted properly on the bottom of a pack.

Mel

Edod
06-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Docw and Mel,
I tried the differential tightening and it worked quite well. I should now be good to go....