PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new pack

revelation2012
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I am looking to replace my G1 scout with a little bit bigger pack. The scout is great for light day and excellent for a patrol pack but it is not filling my particular needs. I will probably be listing in the Trade section. I have too many items attached to the outside and I figure for my purposed I should move up to a larger pack and go slick rather than have all the pouches on the outside.

I am considering the Xray, Mollex, or the Marauder. I will be using these on over nights (sometimes two nights), plane carry on and all day hikes. I need to be able to carry essentials and water if needed. I was considering the x-ray but is is just about 500 ci more than my scout and was thinking I might wish I had gone to a bit bigger pack. I think it would fit the bill for most things except for 2 nighters. Any pros for going a little bit larger and getting a Mollex or a Marauder? Any pros or cons on either one of those? Or would the xray be a good all around pack and add a pod for two nighter outing?

I must add I am in the habit now of carrying a full FAK packed in a claymore now. It may be a little over kill for usual needs but I like to keep it with me in my vehicle and with my personal carry so considering I would like to accommodate that.

Second question . . . on this level of pack. Is there a reason anyone would suggest not go for the G1 of the old stock ready to ship and wait for 6-8 weeks on the G2? Is it that big of difference on this pack level?

I already have a G1 ZXR right now. Have been tempted to step up to a G2 MMR cargo frame but that is another decision. Thanks for any direction on those who have used these different packs.

steveb
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
For a day/light overnight pack, I'd go with the MollExpress. Patrick always carries his Spike Camp (hunting version of the Express), that should say something. The Express has the same circumference as Scout, just taller with a better suspension. That X-Ray is fine for day/EDC only, but on overnights you will be strapping things to the outside. The Express also carries better from what I've read. Unless you're in a hurry, I'd go G2. As far as trading in the ZXR for a MMR, I'd do it if you want the cargo hauling capability and the ability to use different bags, like AG1 and AG2. Also, go with G2 for MMR.

revelation2012
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
For a day/light overnight pack, I'd go with the MollExpress. Patrick always carries his Spike Camp (hunting version of the Express), that should say something. The Express has the same circumference as Scout, just taller with a better suspension. That X-Ray is fine for day/EDC only, but on overnights you will be strapping things to the outside. The Express also carries better from what I've read. Unless you're in a hurry, I'd go G2. As far as trading in the ZXR for a MMR, I'd do it if you want the cargo hauling capability and the ability to use different bags, like AG1 and AG2. Also, go with G2 for MMR.

One thing I was thinking with the Mollex is can I clip my FAK kit to the inside bottom? You think the G2 is significant enough to go for the wait?

For the larger pack I will definately go G2 and the only reason I would change fromt he ZXR is because of the cargo hauling.

straps
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
MOLLEx will work for SINGLE overnights, but you may still come home with no food and possibly lacking water, temperature dependent.

More than one night outside use a ZXR, if for no other reason to carry the amount of food (2 meals/day+GORP) and water that entails. I will boil snow because that generates heat but I'm now too old to fight parasites and too lazy to purify water to my standards in the field from spring to fall (interferes with hammock time).

I like the MOLLEx for travel--laptop, zip binder, file portfolio and portable DVD player fill the main compartment, with a TAD Merino (and change of skivvies) accessible via the bottom zipper for added protection and comfort on cold aircraft. AC adapters in one Mini Long, food in the other and office supplies in the Organizer. Digicam, toothbrush, razor and wet wipes in the top pocket. My SHTF medical kit goes in checked baggage but gets D&L'd to the outside bottom at the carousel.

Marauder is good for multi-overnights but too big for EDC because I don't have to edit my load--by Friday it weighs 50 lbs and people are asking me where the war is. Panel loader is great if you need access to lots of small items...

Hope this helps...

P.S. G2 probably worth the wait in most cases...

Bullfrog
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't have nearly the experience as the other posters but, I had the G2 Xray and for me it was just too small for anything but EDC and day hikes - with that said, my G2 E&E (with xray straps) still got used 90% of the time for these tasks.

So... I returned my Xray and am waiting on a G2 Mollex, two longs, two 2 quarts (for when the longs are too much - I liked the shape of the 2 quart over the mini-longs) and an organizer. I feel confident that this combo along with my E&E will cover the majority of my EDC, day hikes, weekend camping and week+ air travel needs... :)

On G1 vs. G2: I had the G1 Xray also and there was a significant difference in how much more comfortable the G2 Xray was - the lumbar/back pads are amazing. I think the G2 is worth it.

docw
06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I have an Express. I like it for everything from overnight to extended weekend to PT with 40-50lbs. I recently traveled with it for the first time on civilian aircraft and it worked great. I rolled with 2 longs and a back pouch. They compressed so well and were rock solid. Everything fit nicely into the overhead bin and I had the piece of mind that if a flight attendant said it was too big, I'm only 4 clicks away from a smaller bag. One thing I will add it when you are using the express with longs and back pouch, it still feels like you are running it slick even though you've added pockets.

dlaot1
06-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I agree with what docw said regarding the Express on a plane. With 2 Long Pockets and an E&E, I was able to walk up and down the aisle with ease, and by taking off the pockets, I was able to fit the pack under the seat in front of me.

Akilae
06-13-2009, 06:34 PM
So... I returned my Xray and am waiting on a G2 Mollex, two longs, two 2 quarts (for when the longs are too much - I liked the shape of the 2 quart over the mini-longs) and an organizer. I feel confident that this combo along with my E&E will cover the majority of my EDC, day hikes, weekend camping and week+ air travel needs... :)

Bullfrog: When is your Mollex due? I'm curious to find out how the Mollex + E&E work for NYC EDC.

Bullfrog
06-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Bullfrog: When is your Mollex due? I'm curious to find out how the Mollex + E&E work for NYC EDC.

Ships on the 22nd - soooooo soon :D

I have had my G2 E&E for a few months now and use it every day - it is the best urban edc bag I've used. I put xray straps on it and its just awesome.

I have an organizer coming with my mollex along with a few 2 quarts (and longs) - the organizer or a 2 quart on the back the E&E will be perfection.

I imagine the mollex will be used maybe 15% of the time for my edc when the E&E will be too small. For my edc usage however, I cant imagine needing to use both the mollex and E&E together for edc in nyc... thats over 3000 CI. For overnighters and air travel however, it'll be wonderful.

I will get some pics up for you when it all arrives - also if you want to check it out in person in the city, shoot me a PM.

(sorry to hijack!)

Akilae
06-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Ships on the 22nd - soooooo soon :D

I have had my G2 E&E for a few months now and use it every day - it is the best urban edc bag I've used. I put xray straps on it and its just awesome.

I have an organizer coming with my mollex along with a few 2 quarts (and longs) - the organizer or a 2 quart on the back the E&E will be perfection.

I imagine the mollex will be used maybe 15% of the time for my edc when the E&E will be too small. For my edc usage however, I cant imagine needing to use both the mollex and E&E together for edc in nyc... thats over 3000 CI. For overnighters and air travel however, it'll be wonderful.

I will get some pics up for you when it all arrives - also if you want to check it out in person in the city, shoot me a PM.

(sorry to hijack!)

Pics would be great!

Bullfrog
06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Pics would be great!

You got it.

revelation2012
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
As much as my orginal post was looking for a slightly larger pack, I cannot quit thinking about the MMR Cargo Hauler Frame. With my 3 pods I am thinking all the versatility with this set up along with some L&D pouches. I appriciate all the sugestions but may just order this G2 MMR Hauler and when that comes in and then unload my G1 ZXR and use the proceeds for a smaller pack.

Anyone use the hauler exclusively? Will I miss having the bag?

adi
06-14-2009, 11:42 PM
revelation2012,

I'm still waiting for my MMR ruck so can't give any input on use. But if you miss having a bag at later stage you can always purchase it separately.
I think the MMR Hauler (24") fits 3 different bags. AG1, AG2 and MMR.

Mel's pics on MMR Hauler definitely shows a lot of possibilities with a hauler.
From cache drops, lightweight journey to hauling parts of a kill. :)

revelation2012
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
revelation2012,

I'm still waiting for my MMR ruck so can't give any input on use. But if you miss having a bag at later stage you can always purchase it separately.
I think the MMR Hauler (24") fits 3 different bags. AG1, AG2 and MMR.

Mel's pics on MMR Hauler definitely shows a lot of possibilities with a hauler.
From cache drops, lightweight journey to hauling parts of a kill. :)

Yup that is what I am figuring. I am sure even if pressed to have a bag I can use a large ci dry bag with the chair and compress it into the pack. Then surround it with long Pockets and back pouch or E&E. I also wonder if an XLT could be used lashed over the top. . . ?

revelation2012
06-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the help but ended up getting a decent package on a foliage G1 Mollex with pouches included (organizer, Stash-it, two mini longs). I am glad I ended up with the Mollex. Even when the pack is not totally filled it really is form fitting and low profile. I was using my scout with a couple of docked pouches but I like the slick lean profile of this pack and was not crazy using the scout for EDC because of it being a lumbar pack the long straps. They always got cought on something. I docked my FAK kit in a claymore in the bottom and what I usually carry fills it except the top 6 to 8 inches. This will be good space storing a jacket in colder months.

The Foliage color is very hard to pin point to me. Its kind of tricky to my eyes. It looks gray to me at some times and the greenish gray in other lighting. I kind of like it.

steveb
06-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, that Foliage can look different depending on lighting conditions. In bright light (sunlight), it has a greyish cast and blends very well with tree bark (broadleaf trees) and sagebrush. Indoors or low light, it has a more greenish hue, and blends well with vegetation. Even though it doesn't match completely when close-up, Foliage also blends extremely well with green grass (lawns, golf courses, etc.) when seen from a distance of 100 yards or more.