PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NW Summer Rondy - Possible Locale

Bushcraft
06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Will this locale do for the 2009 Northwest Kifaru Summer Rondy?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/2009%20NW%20Rondy/2009NWSummerRondy.jpg

I'll be scouting this up and providing more details when our snowpack kicks off enough to allow trailhead access here in the next couple of weeks.

If it is not already, get July 23-26 on your calendars!

Montanapete1
06-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Very Nice area! Good PIC!

Kevin B
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Distance... elevation gain? Kids would be in tow to the prior locale for sure, this one may change that plan. Give some generalities here.

Getting the knee into shape as we speak. It's resisting the effort.

Bushcraft
06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
E-mail inbound Kevin.

Randy
06-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Allen,

I may be headed up to Yakima on the July 4 weekend. Tracy's headed to Montana for a big show so I may go up and spend a day or 2 with my folks and could probably make a run in there as well. Besides, looks like some pre-Rondy fish research may be in order:)

Bushcraft
06-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Randy,

My wife and I are going to be in the neighborhood for our one-year anniversary. I was thinking that an ambitious person could take a rim-run bushwack scramble over to the lake that has at least one Golden Cutthroat. I was also thinking that a man that wanted to remain married would not attempt to have his wife accompany him on such a trip. ;)

Anyway, I imagine they are probably pretty hungry this time of year. Might be a fun day-trip during the Rondy.

We'll have to compare notes.

Allen

snakey2
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Except for the vapor trail left by that mosquito, it looks like heaven. If all works out I will have Caitlin with me again and I know she can take it no matter how steep and rough it is.

evanhill
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
If you could find something with more dark timber, I'd be happier.

Bushcraft
06-09-2009, 10:59 AM
That could be arranged.

medic16
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
For us people who have not lived in the NW long where might the above photo be?

Bushcraft
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
The photo might have been taken in the William O. Douglas wilderness area west of Yakima, WA.

evanhill
06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah -- I prefer the hands and knees, need a headlamp at midday, smell them long before you can see them, murkwood forest kind of dark timber.

Now that you've seen the CO high country up close, I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from :)

Bushcraft
06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah -- I prefer the hands and knees, need a headlamp at midday, smell them long before you can see them, murkwood forest kind of dark timber.

That's just the Sasquatch in you talking.

evanhill
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
That's just the Sasquatch in you

Having sasquatch in me is precisely what I'm trying to avoid. You've seen how ***y my legs are, particularly in a kilt. Now imagine yourself as a lovelorn juvenile sasquatch wandering the dark forest in search of a companion. Not a pretty scenario for yours truly.

Bushcraft
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Correction: I have not seen how ***y your legs are, regardless of attire.

Just go out and get yourself some of those camoflage Under Armor tights...you'll be good to go in the juvenile sasquatch inhabited murkwood.

Bushcraft
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Unless you happen upon the exceedingly rare one that has a fetish for such things.

Michael & Tanner
06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Greetings and Salutations.

Just a note to let the PNWers know that I, and a very healthy Tanner, am back in Seattle.

I had a great time in Colorado, and enjoyed meeting everyone. I'll look forward to seeing you at the NW Rondy.

- Michael

evanhill
06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Great news! Look forward to seeing you again.

Michael & Tanner
06-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Having sasquatch in me is precisely what I'm trying to avoid. You've seen how ***y my legs are, particularly in a kilt. Now imagine yourself as a lovelorn juvenile sasquatch wandering the dark forest in search of a companion. Not a pretty scenario for yours truly.

Hmm.. I thought YOU were supposed to be in sasquatch. Isn't the root word of sasquatch SQUA ?? As in mated female tribal member?

Bushcraft
06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Fantastic news Mike. Hopefully we'll see you and your very healthy Tanner there.

Allen

Randy
06-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Welcome back Michael and Tanner...though leaving that beautiful high country for Seattle doesn't seem like a fair trade. Glad Tanner is doing well and we'll look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

JBR
06-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I can't believe that we've established the NW Rondy dates on one of the few weekends that I am always on mandatory OT. Damn Torchlight Parade. I was able to go with the "ask for forgiveness rather than permission" avenue in 2007 and got a replacement then skipped out and hoped for the best, but couldn't swing it last year. Missing the Rondy two years in a row is possibly more than I can take. I may have to create some kind of 'act of God' to eek out of work this year, but no promises.

I feel so outta the loop with my Kifaru pals, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim

evanhill
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
It would be very good to see you again. There's always the winter Rondy. I'm sure we could collectively sort you out with enough loaner gear to make the trip quite comfortable.

On the other hand, what is this torchlight parade thing? We might be able to budge that a bit ;)

JBR
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
It's a huge parade in Seattle during 'Seafair' week. The Blue Angels come to town and do their awesome stuff, hydro races, etc. It's a big thing in Seattle every year, and they always 'red dot' that day (no time off allowed) and several other 'Seafair events' so there are enough Officers to work the events. It's basically a 5-7 hr shift RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RONDY!! I may try to swing the replacement thing again this year, which they won't give you permission for, but like I said, sometimes the 'forgiveness' route is the better option.

David in OR
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
A new area for me and my first Kifaru rondy. Sounds too good to pass up.

Bushcraft
06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
My wife and I paid an anniversary weekend visit to the location we said our vows one year ago. Had a fun time hiking around, scouting and listening to the freezing winds howl through the timber outside as we ate year-old cake in the warm confines of the tipi. Had a little mid-June snow squall spit on us while we were packing up and heading out. Nice!

Anyway, the spot that I was hoping might work out for this year's NW Rondy locale is a nice little out-of-the way lake tucked back in the wilderness just far enough, but not too far for the little ones in tow. And, there were a couple spots with large enough openings for the 24-man tipi. Oh well, one day if the Forest Circus ever gets around to fixing the road.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/2009%20NW%20Rondy/DSC05421.jpg

Just around the shore to the left in the picture above were the remnants of an old cabin. Only the mortar and rock foundation remained. It must have been an idealic setting once upon a time, but was certainly a curious location to have expended that much effort for there are no mines or grazing to speak of nearby and certainly no road access. I imagine it was torn down or burned since it was inside the wilderness boundary. I wish I'd taken a picture or two, but I'd like to get back in there another time.

We witnessed no large splashes and only had a few fingerlings chase our lures to shore.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/2009%20NW%20Rondy/DSC05419.jpg

All those shiny, brand new FS trucks parked down in Naches that never seem to actually go out into the forest. Tsk, tsk. Glad I brought the saw.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/2009%20NW%20Rondy/DSC05409m.jpg

Regrettably, this locale is a no-go.

Too bad really, but I'm afraid there would be far too many choice words for me at the end of the road - or what the Forest Circus calls a road, before taking the short hike into this potential rondy locale. As it stands, I had to pay a visit to Les Schwab today.

The 2009 motto would have been "Four Wheel Drive This!"

evanhill
06-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Bummer! Sounds pretty good elsewise. I would've been game for the 4x4 road, but that's not a reasonable bar to set for a rondy -- even for guys with full length full sized pickup trucks that they think are off road vehicles. Now if a guy had a nice 70's era Ford Bronco, he might have something :D

Just a doggone shame that you were confined to your tent with a snow squall outside on your 1 year anniversary. Congratulations, by the way.

Bushcraft
06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
You just had to rub it in that I sent that beautiful candy-apple red 1974 sport edition down the road didn't you? Believe you me, its short wheelbase and tight turning radius wistfully crossed my mind a time or two last weekend.

Ed C
06-22-2009, 09:10 PM
That road would only be a challenge to people driving Dodges:cool:

Bushcraft
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Ed,

The road wasn't a challenge to me or the Dodge. It was my challenging wife that apparently thought it was appropriate to give me back-seat driving directions from the passenger seat. ;)

Scoutin' Wyo
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
You just had to rub it in that I sent that beautiful candy-apple red 1974 sport edition down the road didn't you? Believe you me, its short wheelbase and tight turning radius wistfully crossed my mind a time or two last weekend.

Aahmm (clearing throat), might I suggest a line of vehicles that were proudly produced in Fort Wayne Indiana from 1961 till 1980. It may be had for you to find one in the PNW that hasn't rusted away to dust, but I know there are some cruzin around up there.:cool:

A stunning example built by IH only North in Sacremento CA.
http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/attachments/ih-only-build-ups/940d1194447111-ld-s-custom-scout-ii-img_0837.jpg

Bushcraft
06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
<whistle> Veddy nice.

(my wife is looking over my shoulder right now saying "whooo...pretty!)

Thank you Scoutin' Wyo! ;)

Ed C
06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
So how much longer is the 2009 rondy site going to remain top secret?
Is it a pack in or a drive in? As always:confused:

hansford
06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I am in too. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Hansford

rykyard
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm going to try and make it as well, have some work to do on the home front to get clearance though

-richard

edit: woah, my first post in 2 years... i could swear I've posted before

evanhill
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Hope you can make it Richard!

disillusionedpatriot
06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2121/alcoholdistance.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/alcoholdistance.jpg/)

David in OR
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
This is why I admire science and engineering.

As an erstwhile English prof, I approach questions like the above by asking myself dumb things like, "What would Hemingway drink?" My GF, who's finishing up a PhD in engineering, isolates the variables, checks the deltas, and comes to the same conclusions I do. But somehow she sounds _way_ smarter.

Bushcraft
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
DP,

How did you normalize for quantity vs. distance? I think you may have failed to factor in the KevinB cargo-chair and Scot Hill multi-trip B.O.B. trailer ratios.

Allen

scothill
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Scot Hill multi-trip B.O.B. trailer ratios.

Allen

I am not sure I am going to fall for that again this year. Assuming that the camp is accessible via bike.

evanhill
06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I think my contribution on the 6 mile pack in two years ago throws off your curve a little bit:

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/randalls_2057_26013545

The other significant factor is the ammunition/meat/alcohol ratio, which seems to change somewhat from year to year. Personally, I think 40/40/20 is pretty good.

No matter, this year I'll know that once I've got the family packed in I need to turn around and go back for a second load regardless.

disillusionedpatriot
06-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Kevin is known as an "outlier":

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7407/alcoholdistanceflatline.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/i/alcoholdistanceflatline.jpg/)

Buck W
06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
DP,

How did you normalize for quantity vs. distance? I think you may have failed to factor in the KevinB cargo-chair and Scot Hill multi-trip B.O.B. trailer ratios.

Allen

..to say nothing of the exponential altitude constants and elevation delta variables adjusted for the coefficient of trail smoothness divided by the number (weighted for relative attractiveness) of the female members of the party. :)

Buck W
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Richard, it would be good to see you and Hansford there.

JBR
06-30-2009, 02:42 PM
I just did a solo hike to the area of the 2007 Rondy this past weekend. At about mile 5, got into 3-4 ft of snow. Even a few guys on horses had to turn around at that point. Most of the bigger area lakes were thawed, but several of the small beaver pond types were still at least partially gripped in ice. The creeks were all a bit higher and faster as well, which is to be expected. I had beautiful weather and it was a great solo getaway. Still trying to work my magic about getting free to go this year, but no promises.