PDA

View Full Version : Woobie Review

remington79
06-07-2009, 02:31 AM
I have a Gen 1 Woobie that I bought last fall. This past Memorial Day weekend was the first chance I had to take it out and test it in the field. (We had a little one last fall so we were kept busy with her so please excuse the delay.) So we went camping at about 2800 feet and in a valley next to the North Fork of the Coeur d Alene (I know its not a lot but to give an idea of the conditions) in the IPNF. The temps were high 70s during the day and dropped to the low 40s at night.
That woobie was warm. I'm a cold sleeper and I only got a little chill during the last few hours. That would have been remedied by wearing a different shirt. I was feeling cool when I went to bed so I put a pair of ploy pro long john bottoms on and a pair of rag wool socks. I got so warm I had to take the woobie off of my legs and feet to cool back off.
It wasn't until about 3 in the morning that I had to put a shirt on. I just put on a Cabelas packable fleece. It's not overly thick or heavy, it's actually a little on the thin side but is good for layering. This is when I finally put a hat on to. I slept great the rest of the morning. I didn't have any problems with the woobie slipping out from underneath me but that might be do to my sleeping pad.
I'm going to have to get the Doobie now. It beats the poncho liner that I have used in the past during the summers.
It's not too much of a review but I hope it helps someone out there that is on the fence about getting a Woobie.

rhunter424
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Great to hear another story about the Woobie. I received my G1 woobie last Fall and used it all winter (both outdoors and in my regular bed :D). Now that spring has arrived, I had planned on storing my woobie and using my USGI poncho liner for the warmer months. The reason being that I thought the woobie would be too warm. Well that plan has gone out the window because after trying to pack the standard poncho liner in my Express I thought to myself "Wait...the woobie is lighter and packs down smaller."
Woobie +1 ... Poncho Liner 0

remington79
06-08-2009, 12:08 PM
My friends and I used poncho liners all the time in the summer when we were camping. I have to say they are only good to about 60 maybe mid 50s. Right now the where I'm at it's still getting into the mid 40s at night so poncho liner would be out. Besides, just like you said the Woobie packs smaller and is lighter. Whats not to love.