PDA

View Full Version : Fanny pack

ibtrdia
09-04-2003, 03:01 AM
Any possibility of Kifaru doing a fanny pack in the near future ?

Patrick
09-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Ibtrdia--

We know how to do one, yes. But "near future" is uncertain at this point. We are intent at present on doing a good job of producing what we already are offering you fellows. But, oh my, we do have neat stuff in the pipeline for the future, yes. Any thoughts from you on what you'd like to see in a fanny pack? Our aim, of course, is always to give fighting men the best tools we can.

ibtrdia
09-04-2003, 09:10 AM
]Patrick[

Ability to lash the fanny pack to the Kifaru & other brand of assault pack.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/images/prodimages/P_A_III_P_CA.JPG

Majority of the 3 day assault pack has a short webbing sewed to the female fastex for the compression strap & I cannot loop it to the fanny pack lash points.

A few sizes like the MS Tour, Cairn & Day tour.

Kevin
09-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Ibtrdia,
My son was in Singapore last year, when his submarine went in port. Later, members of Al Qaeda were captured with photographs of the sailors on leave from his sub.

Watch your backside. We need folks like you out there, and thanks for what you do.

k

sovereign
09-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Isn't the Scout basically a fanny pack? With retractable shoulder straps?

Patrick
09-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Sovereign--

Technically, using the old Mountainsmith terminology, it would qualify as a "Lumbar Pack". You are essentially correct. And it can be carried sans shoulder straps.

eggroll
09-04-2003, 01:08 PM
IR

strikes me as being one of a smaller than 'eggroll' stature. That being the case, the scout would be BIG while it is a fanny pack for me /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

perhaps something along the line of the old MS TOUR pack in volume - especially with those web loops so you can thread through the compression straps to carry the pack to a larger pack.

FWIW
EGG

Mel
09-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Patrick hit the nail on the head when it comes to new items coming out in the "near future". Right now, priority number one, is filling the orders to the guys getting deployed as soon as possible. You will be seeing some cool stuff we're working on, hopefully in the "not too distant future". As far as fanny packs go, that's something we have been planning on for quite some time now. When Patrick owned Mountainsmith, they were known worldwide for their outstanding fanny and lumbar packs. In fact, Mountainsmith still offers some excellent fanny/lumbar packs to this day. The first Kifaru Military Gear fanny pack aready has a name that was submitted almost a year ago by GG (Gear Guru). I liked it alot, and promised him that we would call our first fanny pack the "Tailgunner". It will most definately be "Modular and Multifunctional". I've been working on designs for quite some time now, and combined with all of Patrick's fanny pack design experience, I think you'll like what we come up with. Stay tuned! Do I dare talk about our next pack project?!

Mel

ibtrdia
09-04-2003, 04:01 PM
]Patrick[ & ]Mel[

Good to know that it's in the pipeline. I know how busy you guys are with the hunting season & the request from the guys in OEF & OIF.

The stuff from Kifaru is all gravy & I'm waiting patiently for my pack to be delivered.

I would like to suggest putting D-ring at the side for attaching a shoulder sling that uses snaphook.

]Kevin[

No worries, it is Jemaah Islamiah(Asia connection of Al-Qaeda). There is always a unit on standby & we are on high alert when you guys come in.

There is no "S**" only US warships stopping here for repairs.

Thanks, I'm watching my 6 /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

]Eggroll[

I agree that the Scout is a pack for me & not a fanny pack, I'm 1.69m /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

molsen
09-04-2003, 09:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Stay tuned! Do I dare talk about our next pack project?!
</div></div>Mel,
Dare I ask if this is what we were talking about when the group of us came up last month?!?!? If so, then I can't wait!! I was pretty excited about what we were talking about.

Mike

Sgathak
09-04-2003, 11:03 PM
I missed a conversation on THAT?!?!?! DAMN!

Mel
09-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Mike:

That's the pack project I'm talking about. We touched on some ideas when you guys were up, but I have to tell you, there are some surprises in store that I'm not at liberty to talk about at this time. I've been doing research on this project for quite some time, and will try and keep you all updated as much as possible on this development.

Mel

molsen
09-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Sgathak,
That's what happens when you leave the party early!!

Mel,
Well, if that's it, then hurry up, cuz I'm impatiently waiting for this to happen. You mentioned quite a few ideas that day, all of which were good. Like I said, I'm pretty excited about what's coming out the pipeline soon. BTW, thanks for forwarding that email the other day ago.

Sgathak
09-05-2003, 02:12 PM
I *sniffle* had to go to work *sniffle*

Dan
09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel:
Mike:

That's the pack project I'm talking about. We touched on some ideas when you guys were up, but I have to tell you, there are some surprises in store that I'm not at liberty to talk about at this time. I've been doing research on this project for quite some time, and will try and keep you all updated as much as possible on this development.

Mel</div></div>Well - if you need any prototypes field tested....heh heh heh /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Dan

ibtrdia
05-05-2004, 08:32 AM
]Patrick[ &amp; ]Mel[

Any sneak peak of the Tailgunner fanny pack soon ? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eggroll
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
when they decide too :p

I saw something but I couldn't quite make it out.... it was shimmering in the distance...... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

EGG

ibtrdia
05-06-2004, 04:10 AM
]Eggroll[

You should've brought along a filter for the camera to take pictures of the shimmering item. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ralph
05-07-2004, 07:42 AM
A few years ago I built a butt pack based on the issue version, in cordura. Since I just got the unpadded PALS belt, I am going to rebuild a version with a belt/lumbar pad connecter in place of the ALICE-clip/BTS attachment I use now. My thinking is that I almost always use a butt pack if I am wearing a belt, so it might as well be a semi-permanent part.

The design I'm working up now is a little wider and deeper, with a delta-strap type cinch. The bag is flap closed with light ensolite padding front and back,(back for padding, front for holding shape) a 5" drawstring collar that can fold down along the opening and an oval opening a little bit smaller than the issue version. Grab loop centered, flanked by 1" trilocks (the older version used these to hang suspenders, as well as allowing use of a shoulder strap. The simple strap is stored in a small flat pocket in the front). One thing about pinching in the top is that the bag contents will not spill if you grab the loop with the flap open.

The new version has a shaped lid, with flat velcro-closed pocket a la the ALICE packs. I'm running a single line of PALS on the lid rear, mostly to allow the poncho to be tied on, and a 2-line PALS along the bag front, for small, flat pockets (gun cleaning kit etc.). The flap closes with two side-release buckles connected to straps running around the bottom of the bag for strapping on a basha or whatever. The top PALS web on the front will be a compression strap allowing dock&amp;lock to a larger pack (or my E&amp;E if I am carrying a pack too long for a belt rig.) The new version will be fully lined.

I'm considering a line of PALS along the inside rear of the bag for some specialized flat tool pouches I sometimes carry. Keeps the small stuff organized and upright. I figure I can just slide the connector straps thru the loops without actually snapping them into place.

The older version has served well, but the new belt is much better than the old web version.

I'm looking at good digital cameras right now, so I should be able to get some pictures in the near future if anyone is interested.

Mel
05-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Guys, the Tailgunner series is the current R&amp;D project we are working on. All I can say at this point, is that the Tailgunner bags will use the same Omni belts that are offered for the Zulu, Marauder, and Scout. Over a period of time, there will be a series of fanny/lumbar packs offered. You can expect to see two versions in the first launch. Stay tuned.

Mel

ibtrdia
05-07-2004, 06:53 PM
]Mel[

Thanks for the update. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif