PDA

View Full Version : What can you fit in your mini-longs and/or long pockets?

Bullfrog
05-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, need more space in my pack and about to pull the trigger on mini-longs or long pockets for my xray (and molle express on order). However, just wondering:

What do you guys typically fit (or carry) in your mini-longs or long pockets?

I'm thinking the longs might be too big but I just cant figure it out from the pics and unfortunately I can't buy multiple sets to try out and then sell off.

I've seen the relative size pics and know the dimensions but, being a visual person, its always easier for me to relate in terms of what you guys actually load in 'em...

Thank you very much!

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I just got my Long Pockets a couple weeks ago, but i could fit:

-6 Tan T-Shirts, Rolled
-3 IPFU Shorts
-3 IPFU Summer Shirts, Rolled
-2 IPFU Winter Shirts, Rolled

And that's just for 1 Long Pocket

Bullfrog
05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - wow that is a lot of room in one long pocket! What pack do you have them on?

I'm wondering if they are a good fit for the mollex or if they are too big... Argh what a tough decision.

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I have them on the Molle Express; they fit pretty well, in terms of height, they go almost from the top zipper to the bottom zipper. With width, there's still room in the middle to mount an E&E.

Bullfrog
05-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Awesome - excellent information!

Do you find the longs awkward or floppy if they are left on the express rather empty and not filled out?

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I did at first, but that was because I didn't mount them onto the webbing correctly; if you line up the Dock and Lock buckles correctly, you can cinch the pocket down really well to prevent any movement.

Bullfrog
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Good to hear - thanks for helping me out!

I'm still intrigued by how few pictures there are on here of the express/mollex with long pockets or mini-longs...

Thanks again!

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
No problem; I could post some up, but they won't be of very good quality.

Bullfrog
05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Really appreciate the offer - only if its not too much trouble.

rt014
05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I did at first, but that was because I didn't mount them onto the webbing correctly; if you line up the Dock and Lock buckles correctly, you can cinch the pocket down really well to prevent any movement.

Can you expand on what you mean when you say 'correctly'...I could probably benefit from that.

Thanks

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 09:07 PM
What I did originally was mount the D&L buckles too high at the top and too low on the bottom on the pack's webbing, so the pockets would sag no matter what I did. If you mount them on correctly, as in lined up with the level of the straps, you can tighten the straps and cinch the pocket down much better. I can post some pictures up if you want.

Prowannabe
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM
bullfrog, thanks for starting this thread, as I was about to start one similiar. Not trying to highjack this at all.

I have a pointman with 2 long's and 2 mini's, and a malice claymore on the top. I was wondering where you guys pack the essentials and extras for say a 3 day hiking and/or hunting trip? BFrog, The long pockets are HUGE fyi.

Do y'all put your tent, sleeping bag, survival/medical kit in the main compartment and then load up the pouches with the extras? I've always hunted out of a camper and have only been on one pack in hunt, and I didn't do it correctly. So just trying avoid some more trial and error.

How would you load up the setup described above? Thanks.

revelation2012
05-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I've only had my new pack out for one outing so far but my thought was to keep my clothes and stuff i'd like to keep fairly clean inside the pack itself. The outer puches I would use for gear and essentials I would most likely get to repeatedly or might be soiled. I had my LPs loaded up with cooking gear and other stuff I might like to "detach" for working on specific issues and pojects like cooking, medical, gear for tarp setup etc. around camp or on the trail without having to dig in the main bag. I have been using my small pod for food items as it can decrease in size as it is deminished and finally thrown inside the pack or an outside pouch when empty.

rhunter424
05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
My experiences are on par with revelation2012. The inside of my pack typically consists of large bulky items such as my tent(sans poles, thanks to slot pockets :D), water, sleeping gear, etc. External pockets are 90% D&L, so when I'm doing meal preps, I can just take the pocket along with me. Going inside the tent, detach the pocket and leave the pack in the vestibule.

In one long pocket I can easily fit the following "sets" of items:

- Jetboil PCS
- One mountain house 2 serving meal
- A few snacks

- My PT shoes
- Small misc items

- 4 pairs socks
- 4 pairs boxers
- 4 to 6 shirts

The more I look at those mid-longs the more I want one (or two!) for my scout.

Bullfrog
05-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys for the responses - I knew the longs were big but I had no idea. Talk about some serious CI increase for the molle express - they sound perfect. I went ahead and added a pair of the top zip hybrid longs (and an organizer) to my order :D

I'm thinking another pair of smaller pockets will be useful when I dont want the capacity of the standard longs. What are your thoughts on using the 2 quarts instead of mini longs? They seem to be a more conducive shape for many uses and really aren't too much smaller than the mini longs...

Cpl Punishment
05-30-2009, 08:27 AM
I've got a question.

I was wanting to spring for a Paratipi. Will it fit in a Long pocket? I assume the poles are too long, but they can go in the slip pockets of the pack.

bamboobow
05-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Fits nicely in a long pocket, along with the pegs. Poles are secured outside by the D&L straps.

I also get my tyvek ground cloth and a 9x9 tarp inside.
-
-

Bullfrog
06-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi Guys - well my hybrid longs came (along with my Mollex and two 2 quarts) just in time for traveling tomorrow which will be its first real-world test - then in august it will face three weeks in South Africa - cant wait! :D

Packing up right now and just wanted to share what I was able to fit in the hybrid top-zip long pockets for those of you who are as curious as I was:

Pocket 1:
3 pairs shorts (exofficio and colombia)
2 pairs boxers
2 button down oxford shirts
it is far from stuffed out and and could easily fit another shirt and shorts - might throw flip-flops in.

Pocket 2:
2 polo shirts
2 button down oxford shirts
3 pairs boxers
Again, this one is far from stuffed out.

Needless to say, these things SWALLOW gear more than I could have imagined - they actually do such a good job that I might have enough room in my mollex to throw my E&E inside. You could easily pack enough clothing for 2 or 3 days in just one!

The top zips seem like they were made for taking rolled up clothing - they just drop right in - its perfect for airline travel!

So hopefully my mollex with longs will be fine for carryon (from posts here it seems like it will) - I guess if the longs dont fit in the overhead, they are easily taken off and kept with my E&E under the seat.

Brotzie
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
... then in August it will face three weeks in South Africa - cant wait! :D

Baie lekker! Shame me & Liefie won't be out there till September, two/three weeks (not decided yet, depends on Liefie's leave). Don't want to hijack, but whereabouts are you headed? PM me.

Lekker dag :) Ian

Bullfrog
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Baie lekker! Shame me & Liefie won't be out there till September, two/three weeks (not decided yet, depends on Liefie's leave). Don't want to hijack, but whereabouts are you headed? PM me.

Lekker dag :) Ian

Just got back from Wisconsin - PM inbound ;)