PDA

View Full Version : G2 Zulu - Pics

steveb
05-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Here are a few pics of my new G2 Zulu (Foliage) with XTL. The first four show the pack full and the next two at about half capacity (day use). Also, the last couple of pics show the Zulu using a TG 1 as top lid. Note the stash-its on belt (padded-pals), 2 Qt's on lower sides (I can access them on the move), Organizer, and Grab-it around pad. In the slot pockets are trekking poles (about 24" long folded) on sides and tent poles in the centre. As I'm new to pic-posting, don't know how to insert text for individual photos yet.

one911emergency
05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
That's sweet. I want a G2 Zulu so much. How are you liking the foliage green? I think it's one of the most versatile colors in Kifaru's line up. My G1 Zulu is foliage. I love me ZXR but there is just something about the Zulu that makes it an awesome pack in it's own right. The biggest selling point for Zulu for me was no zippers. I just think that's so cool.

steveb
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
911, I really like the Foliage. My old packs were Multicam, which is great for a camo scheme. But sometimes a solid is better, you know. Actually, the OD (camo green) would blend better here in the summer, but the Foliage blends very well during leaf-off, and just looks darn good IMO. For the hunting packs, I think Foliage will go better with the AP Brown Camo fleece than OD.

one911emergency
05-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Another thing I like about foliage (other people have mentioned this on the Kifaru forums) is that it isn't instantly recognizable as a color that is associated with the military. When you have a Multicam pack there is "stigma" (for lack of a better word) attached to the camouflage packs. My ZXR is Multicam and I love it but for EDC I would generally opt for a foliage pack. It's a versatile color for a versatile pack. It looks green in some light and gray in other environments. You can blend in an urban environment and a forested environment but still remain low key. I hope foliage is popular enough to keep Kifaru producing packs in this color. I'm thinking about getting a G2 Scout, and I think it's going to be in foliage. Yeah a G2 Zulu in foliage green is a hard pack to beat. You've got a nice pack; make sure you get it out there and enjoy it.

deadcat
05-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Great looking Zulu bro!

I do not believe that we are in any danger of foliage being eliminated as a color anytime soon, deu to it being an approved Army color and I've seen a lot of non-military folks having packs in that color. FWIW, all 3 of my packs(4 if you count my E&E) are all foliage. I absolutely HATE ACU patterned crap. What I wouldn't mind is my next pack in ranger green with tan or foliage hardware.

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 01:27 AM
how much taller does the Zulu get when full up? I have a MOLLE Express right now, would it be taller than that?

Mel
05-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Hey dlaot1, look at the right hand pic on the first row of pics in Steveb's post. You can see where the lifter strap goes into the pack. That is the top of the 21" frame, which would also be the top of the frame on the Express. You can see how much more pack there is above that point. Yes, the Zulu can be loaded much higher than an Express.

I see you are in the Bay Area. You should come on down to the Demo on June 27th, and check out all of the gear in person.

Mel

dlaot1
05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Mel. I can only assume that the Zulu can take as much gear as a large ALICE ruck, as my MOLLE Express could fit an old packing list I have quite nicely. I'd like to go the Demo, but I'm set to go down to Arizona on 7 Jun.

Cpl Punishment
05-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Great pack.
I love the Zulu, it's so versatile, and you can pack so much crap in it, it's amazing.

How does it ride filled all the way up like that?

Another thing I like about foliage (other people have mentioned this on the Kifaru forums) is that it isn't instantly recognizable as a color that is associated with the military. . .My ZXR is Multicam and I love it but for EDC I would generally opt for a foliage pack. It's a versatile color for a versatile pack. It looks green in some light and gray in other environments. You can blend in an urban environment and a forested environment but still remain low key.

Amen to that. Don't forget it also goes well in the non-red deserts as well. Quite possibly the most versatile color out there. ACU doesn't look terrible on this pack, either. I've got some stuff in ACU on it to hold me over 'til Kifaru gets my foliage stuff made.

steveb
06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Now that I've got some time with the pack, I can answer this. It rides nicely when full up if you pack it right. I put the sleeping bag on the bottom, heavy stuff next, and bulky but relatively light stuff on top (avoid putting heavy stuff up high). Things I need frequently go in slots (in pull-outs) or in 2qts. Also, if you will use the Zulu often with a small load, get the Standard lid in addition to XTL. The Standard lid offers a more compact profile and fits better with the Zulu lightly loaded. See my other post on the Zulu - initial report. That G2 Zulu really has quite a bit more capacity than you'd think. I put 4200 cubes (measured from a 4200 ci Osprey pack) in it using the XTL, and there was still enough room left for a parka!

Art Andrews
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow... I am new here and have really been debating what pack to get but I think your pics just sold me on the Zulu. They sure make it appear to be incredibly versatile!

SmokeHouse
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
very nice pack.

steveb
07-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Bump to top. Another pouch I've found to work well is the mini-long for water bottles, can access on the move. No pics of them yet.

TheButcher
07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Has anybody ordered theirs with grommets and if so, does that include the slot pockets also? thanks

steveb
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
This G2 Zulu will soon be for sale. Needed to upgrade to ZXR. Check out the trading post for details.

68Bird
09-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, how come you needed to switch to the ZXR? I'm on the brink of ordering a Zulu, and while I'm fairly certain it's the best fit for my needs, I can't help but be interested in the ZXR even though it's more capacity than I'd need most of the time.

steveb
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Although the G2 Zulu is a great pack, I found my needs best served by two packs...an Express for day/overnight use and the ZXR for up to a week. The ZXR gives me the extra volume and loadout ability for winter/longer trips/others gear. That 52 L capacity listed for the Zulu is conservative...I'd say more like 60 L, and even more if you stuff the collar full.

BTW...my G2 Zulu is sold already, a popular pack for sure.

rob.balaguer
09-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Is it pretty simple using the TG1 as a top lid? It looks like a cool idea (and a little more stream lined than piggy-backing..)

steveb
09-14-2009, 07:53 PM
It's very easy to do. Just run the straps that attach to back of lid, to ladder locs on top of the TG. Attach 2 female QRs to outer pod loops on bottom of TG, and click male strap ends in. Doesn't give the 'seal' of a dedicated lid, but lighter and more streamlined than PiggyBackin.

mick6446
06-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Steveb,

Great looking Zulu - I have one on the way and can hardly weight!!!

Can you make some more comments about the use of the G1 TG 1 as a lid for you Zulu, and whether you think that a TG 2 would work as effectively as an alternate lid???

thanks

Mick

steveb
06-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Mick, I actually sold that Zulu to fund a ZXR. However, I've found a permanant niche for the Zulu, so I ordered one again, this time in OD! As far as lids, the the TG2 is LESS fitted than the TG1, which in turn is not as fitted as the dedicated lids. It will work though, I think.

mick6446
06-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Steve,

I thought that it would, and I would think that with the snow collar, that any imperfections with the fit would not be catastrophic for what you have in the pack.

Cheers,

Mick

XMP
06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I hadn't found these pictures previously when searching, so thanks for bumping them up. I'm waiting for almost this exact set up (minus the top lid and mid-longs instead of 2qts.).

I think it will work well for what I'm after. At least for now I ascribe to the 3 pack philosophy: EDC/dayhiker that can handles UOs (unplanned overnighters); a midsize that will handle approximately 3 day/long weekend trips; and an extended trip pack. I have found the XRay to be the perfect first option, and now I'm hoping that the Zulu will be the perfect mid-sizer.

Jahled
06-19-2010, 07:03 AM
My black standard long pockets arrived at the crack of dawn this morning. I thought I would share if it's of any use to others. My base rig is a Zulu I got principally to haul around a http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-300mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx an EF300 2.8 lens. I soon discovered I could get a http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx anything upto and including an EF70-200 2.8 in the standard side pocket in a padded Lowepro lens pouch.

I originally ordered the pockets all in Multicam, but got a few odd looks moving around town. It's bad enough using a bag with pals, let alone full on camouflage! Anyway:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4713661841_8ded02057d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4713661841_8ded02057d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4713659593_db4155bf41_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4713659593_db4155bf41_b.jpg

There's more pics of my Zulu here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39097844@N03/sets/72157622824340610/