PDA

View Full Version : Armor Grip 1 & Navigator differences

adi
05-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a second Kifaru pack and looking at either the Navigator and AG1. Does anyone in the forum have any experience with the AG1?

I'm a civ but quite interested in the AG1 due to similar capacity with the Navigator and the removable Duplex Frame for load carrying.

Is there any disadvantage if I wear this pack without armor?

My planned use:

- 3-4 days on tropical hiking trips visiting volcanoes.
- Carrying rubbish down from camp sites.
- Water and other necessities when there's no water source higher on route.
- The occasional strapping and dropping of vandals into the caldera (kidding :D )

Any info and comparisons to the the Navigator (or ZXR) helps.

Thanks

straps
05-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Pretty sure there's little or no reason to purchase an AG frame if you aren't using armor.

The reading I did when the G2 stuff was rolled out led me to believe that the AG 1 & 2 packs could be used with an MMR Hauler (and this setup could be purchased individually/separately).

Hopefully Mel can chime in on this (for BOTH our benefit)?

adi
05-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Hi Straps,

yeah, you're right. I can purchase the hauler and the pack separately!
Thanks for the info, I didn't think of that. :)
Will check out available configurations.

UPDATE:

A complete MMR Hauler + an AG1 Bag (Navigator capacity at 65.5 ltr) actually works out cheaper than a complete AG1 + Cargo Chair and xStrap.

So far the only difference I can see is the foldable torso pad which serves me no purpose.

Waiting for more input from Mel but thank you Straps for pointing me to the right direction.

poi dog
05-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Straps is correct. As explained to me by Mel prior to ordering my MMR is that by purchasing the MMR, I can expand (though I don't believe I will ever need to) to a larger bag via the AG2 bag as the MMR frame is compatible with all the AG bags. The only reason to get the AG frame would be due to armor or for having to have the torso pads out of the way for some reason (Mel could answer that). With the intended uses you listed, I'd go MMR rather than Navagator. If the MMR bag is too small for a planned outing, you can upgrade to the AG2 bag for more space. If a panel loader is wanted, get the AG1 bag. You still have the flexability of having the hauler frame with an array of three (3) different bags:cool:

adi
05-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Thanks Poi Dog,

Your input is much appreciated.
Looking at both the Cargo Hauler and the Omni Yoke right now. The Omni Yoke might be more practical for me. I was unsure about leaving my pack unattended while doing other work with the Hauler, with the Yoke I can attach pockets and carry my personal gear.

With the Omni Yoke, would it fit the Express/Mollex frame? Had a look at the catalog and only mention fit with Zulu and Marauder. It might have changed but I don't know for sure.

Mel
05-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Adi, Straps and Poi Dog are correct with their assessment. You can buy everything separate and mix & match. You can also buy just the Platform Frame, which is sans the Cargo Chair and X-strap Kit.

I think you may be confused about the Omni Yoke. It does not "fit" a certain frame. You can buy just the Omni Yoke panel, and use the stays from a Gen I Zulu or any Marauder. You can also use any Omni shoulder straps or waistbelts. The Omni Yoke is available complete with stays, shoulder straps, and waistbelt. For your stated needs and requirements, I don't think the Omni Yoke would be your best bet, especially for 3-4 days out. Our new G2 Duplex and AG frames have attachment points for pockets and Pods, which would work great for what you want. As soon as I get my samples, I will be taking lots of pics showing the different configurations possible with our new G2 Duplex and AG frames. I think it will be an eye opener for you guys. Stay tuned.

Mel

adi
05-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Mel,

Thanks for the response. I wish I'm closer to Kifaru so I can go try things out and ask questions directly.
I'm attempting my best at visualizing the perfect Kifaru Lego Set with assistance from Straps, Poi Dog and now you. :)

Looking forward to more pics of the G2.

adi
06-02-2009, 03:14 AM
All,

Thanks for your assistance in pack selection. I've settled for an MMR.
Already seeing the "weakness" of this decision.
One of these days I'm going to say "Oh, but I've yet to own a Kifaru with Wrap Tech suspension"

:D