PDA

View Full Version : Bad news

Gregdoo
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
For those of you who attended the recent Colorado Rondy, you probably remember Michael of LaVeta and his dog Tanner, a beautiful Vizsla. Tanner was shot this morning, apparently by a couple of teens with a deer rifle, and is currently being treated with the outcome questionable. Obviously Michael is distraught, Tanner and he were quite close; you might want to keep them in your thoughts and prayers. His board name is: Michael & Tanner

Edited to include: Seems that our poor phone connection caused me to hear "deer rifle" when in fact it was a Gamo "air rifle". Sorry for the bad info. As we said in the army, "The first report is always wrong"....I just hate to perpetuate that skeptical remark. I saw Tanner a couple weeks ago and he was quite active and seemed normal, other than a small entry wound scar on his chest and knowing he has a pellet lodged near his spine. The vet felt that if it had been a steel pellet, v.s. lead, it would have probably not deflected off the ribs and might have led to more permanent damage.

Sawtooth
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM
That is terrible news. I just talked to Michael on the phone before he was to come up to see you, Greg. Let's hope and pray that Tanner makes it.

flamingo 7
05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
This is absolutely terrible. A pox on the scum who shot him. I've my pitchfork, torch, and pliers ready. Do you know where he's being treated?

Gregdoo
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
One of our cell phones was breaking up.....I think he was saying at a vet in Walsenburg, but I could have misunderstood and it was the Walsenburg police that were involved. I'll post more details if I get them.

Bushcraft
05-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Unreal. I hope Tanner pulls through and that Mike doesn't end up getting into trouble for what he no doubts wants to do to the thoughtless bastards. Quite the pair, those two.

evanhill
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Who are these people who go around shooting dogs?

Otoejet
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
That's terrible!! I will certainly be thinking of he and Tanner. As mentioned earlier, I hope he can keep his head about himself because I'd have a hard time with this act of idiocy.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I think my jaw just hit the desk.:eek:

Tanner was a complete gentlemen all weekend, so I doubt the a** that shot him had a reason. I too hope that Michael can find it in him to restrain from stringing up the low life.

In our prayers Michael & Tanner!!!

snakey2
05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope his dog makes it and without lasting disability. Those that did it should pay with money and other things.

David in OR
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Tragic and disheartening. My thoughts are with this fellow, and I very much hope his dog pulls through with a full recovery.

There ought to be adequate criminal and civil consequences for this crime to make informal actions a resistible course.

CCH
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I can't believe somebody would shoot that sweet dog! I know around the front range, they haven't really been cutting any slack for harming or killing pets so hopefully those two get at least some of what they deserve.

Timberline
05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Here's a poor Rendezvous photo from last weekend of a VERY friendly dog and his amiable owner. Sorry about the photo quality, but Tanner’s pose in the photo gives a good indication of his nature. If you’d allow him, like Evan did here, Tanner would climb right up in your lap for a snuggle. Big friendly dog! Michael is on the right in the cowboy hat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009196.jpg

Brent13
05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't know Mike or Tanner as I was unable to make the Rendezvous, but whatever these "teens" get as far as punishment, it isn't enough. This is terrible. I know how attached we get to our dogs, to me they are family. This is just digusting....

Brent

RKP
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Prayers for Mike and Tanner. I hope the poor dog pulls through and that the jerks are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Doug Fir
05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Michael-

My heart goes out to you. Tanner is a beautiful dog. I've enjoyed your posts with pictures of him. I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

Phil

colohunter303
05-21-2009, 09:45 PM
My prayers are with you and Tanner, Michael. Tanner is an outstanding animal and an amazing lap warmer as that is my lap in the photo. I sure hope he pulls through. As my father always says, "You never shoot a man's dog and get away with it". I hope this is no exception.

Randy
05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Michael,

We're praying for you and Tanner. I hope he makes a quick and full recovery. It was a joy having him at the rendezvous and watching the two of you interact as a team.

Take care of yourself,

Randy

Sawtooth
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Fellow Kifaruites,

I just got off the phone with Michael. He doesn't have access to the Internet at his location. So, I'm passing on his thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Tanner was shot by a young man, old enough to vote, within the town limits of La Veta. Michael rushed him to the vet in Walsenburg, with Tanner losing a LOT of blood along the way. The x-ray revealed the projectile, and Michael lost no time retracing Tanner's blood trail, which led him right to the location of the Tanner's wounding. Confessions were made, and the local authorities are working on it as we speak. Tanner was sent home with Michael, and he's lying at his side at the moment. With a serious wound, nicking a lung, and lodging near his spine, he's in serious condition. But, he's home with Michael, and he's doing his best to pull out of it. I greatly respect and admire Michael for his level-headedness through all of this. I haven't known him long, but I'll tell you this...he's one good man and he's earned my respect.

Godspeed to both of you, my friend.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the update Sawtooth!

Thoughts and prayers heading your way Michael & Tanner!

P.S.
Kobee says get better Tanner.

Kmassaro
05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Damn, that's awful. Tanner was a great guest at the Rondy, one fine lapdog.

Get better, Tanner, and Michael, as well. I'm sure you're not getting any rest tonight.

Smokepole
05-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Unbelievable, let's hope he's turned the corner.

Jon S
05-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Belle and Tyrone send well wishes to Tanner as he is a dog they want to be like.
Michael, sorry for the ordeal, our thoughts and prayers are with you and Tanner, hopefully you are on the downhill side of a tough mountain and picking up steam towards recovery.
Let us know if we can be of any help.

CCH
05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
My thoughts are with both Michael and Tanner. I wish a speedy recovery.

snakey2
05-22-2009, 10:53 AM
That Tanner made it this far is very positive. Dogs are as tough as they are lovable so I have high hope for a good outcome. Best wishes to both.

Kmassaro
05-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Shooting Tanner is a felony. And since this occurred in LaVeta, as I understand it, so he's got the other problem of discharging a firearm in the city limits. My understanding of the way judicial officers treat people who commit these crimes is that prison for a first offense is a common occurrence.

And Tanner is one of the finest dogs I've ever seen, a very friendly pup. It's not exactly like we're talking about saving the world from killer-Nazi-attack dog. I'll bet I could round up, oh, say, close to 40 people who would testify about how gentle Tanner is, based upon a weekend at, say, some camp in South Park.

Recover completely, Tanner. We're pulling for you.

Ed C
05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Shooting Tanner is a felony. And since this occurred in LaVeta, as I understand it, so he's got the other problem of discharging a firearm in the city limits. My understanding of the way judicial officers treat people who commit these crimes is that prison for a first offense is a common occurrence.

I hope you're right Kevin.
This one has really been bothering me.
I like dogs better than most people.
I don't understand why someone would shoot a dog, especially one that wasn't doing anything.

JasonB
05-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I like dogs better than most people.
I don't understand why someone would shoot a dog, especially one that wasn't doing anything.

Sounds like something someone else I know would say. :)

Hope everything turns out ok.

Gregdoo
05-23-2009, 07:37 AM
I spoke to Michael last night and he is very thankful for everyone's thoughts.

Tanner is a remarkable dog not only in his wonderful demeanor, but in the rapid progress he's made. The vets anticipated needing to keep him for a couple days but released him to Michael the day of the shooting, and were dumbfounded that Tanner walked into the clinic yesterday.

Blood tests about 24 hours after the shooting showed both his red and white blood cell count returned to about normal. The rapidity of this recuperation amazed the vets, especially considering the large amount of blood loss he had. There were two vets tending to him, one who previously lived in Chicago and dealt with quite a few gunshot dogs, a blessing for Tanner.

Michael feels some credit is due to the amount and variety of wild meat that Tanner had consumed a couple days before at Rondy.....wild hog, antelope, elk, deer, etc. (For those who didn't get any of Jessie's vaunted bacon, don't blame Tanner...I didn't see him get any either!)

The bullet went between the ribs and was small caliber, breaking no bones. They decided to leave it in him, saying to remove it would have caused more damage than leaving it be.

Tanner regained his appetite and attitude yesterday and now the challenge will be for Michael to keep this young dog relatively inactive for the next several days. He's back to wagging his tail, curling up in Michael's lap and walking.

As far as the perp, he's been charged with three counts; "discharging firearm in town", "shooting a dog in town", and I'm not positive on the third, "disorderly conduct" or something similar. He will be in court in a couple weeks. Sounds like he's a troubled young fellow who was recently doing community service for other misdeeds.

Tanner seems to be on the fast-track to recovery and has had a busy week between Rondy and this. Michael is in good spirits and hopes both of them will be able to resume fishing soon.

Randy
05-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't know how to describe my feelings...I feel somewhat like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders reading your update. Congrats to Tanner and Michael for making it thru this ordeal to this point.

Best to both of you in your recovery and getting back on the water while you're taking in that beautiful Colorado high country. We're looking forward to having you at the NW Rondy in July and hopefully your work schedule permits your return to WA by that time.

Take Care.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I agree with Randy, I feel a bit lighter hearing the good news. Keep up the good work Michael.

And, thank you for the update Gregdoo!

fish
05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I feel better knowing tanner has a good shot at making a recovery, and I hope a long life, but the sad part is that the guy who shot Tanner will someday be clear of these charges and likely not "rehabilitated" by prison time.

Otoejet
05-25-2009, 08:05 AM
How wonderful to hear that the pup is making a strong recovery! Hopefully the charges will stick and this criminal will be made to pay the price for his misdeeds.

Montanapete1
05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
AAAAhhhhhhhh! For a Change the news is very GOOD! We should let the poor dog decide this young mans fate. Anyone remember "Chopper sick BALL'S!"

evanhill
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone remember "Chopper sick BALL'S!"

Tanner just doesn't have that in him. Even if somebody was hitting him with a stick, I imagine he would just look at them in woeful confusion.

Kmassaro
05-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Agreed. Tanner is a floppy companion dog, looking for a suitable lap to crawl up in to, and get scratched. One fine dog, IMO.

GJZ
05-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Well I don't know any of you from the CO rondy personally but knowing all the good people who attend the NE rondy it's kinda like one big family. I hope everything for Michael & Tanner turns out for the best and it sounds like they are heading in the right direction for a good recovery all things considered. Best of luck!

Montanapete1
05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Well I've got a mean as hell junk yard dog, I'll let him use! Why did the kid shoot the dog? Did anyone ever find out? Will probably lie and say it was chasing deer or some BS like that, when he goes to court.