PDA

View Full Version : just got a pack and have a few questions

AndyL
05-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi

I've just got a second hand Marauder and have a few questions

The straps seem to be ajustable from the top and bottom. Is there a order of setting up the top (wide) straps?
How size specfic are the omni belts? I've got a 30in waist but I think my hips are a fairly average size.
Also there are a couple of loops at the level of the higher side compression straps. What are they for?

I intend to use it for a first aid bag and so have a range of lock'n loads (though would like a #5 in addition to the ones I have) but also need to carry my own stuff to events wher I do first aid so bought a medium pod. I'd also like to use it for camping trips and was wondering where the best place to attach things would be. I know putting more weight on the front isn't a good idea so figured if I carry my tent on the top and the sleeping bag in a pod on the front.
I have a maxpedition proteus which I intend to attach either with some buckles or grimlocks allowing me to take if off when on a train.

BuckarooMedic
05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
I used my Marauder as a combo aid bag/three day pack, worked out rather well.

I'll try to help u with your questions. Check out Military Morons web page on how to adjust your pack. There's a "sticky" at the top of the military forum with a link. He's got some great pictures that will really help u out.

I believe that Kifaru offer three different sized omni belts. From what I understand, the waistbelt should come around to your front, but not touch. You want the belt to ride on your iliac crest (hip bone) to transfer the weight of the pack to your skeleton. I usually have several inches of webbing from were it's sewn on the belt to the buckle on each side. Again, look at MM's adjustment guide.

I'm lookin' at my Maruader and I've found the loops u were asking about. Don't know if I ever noticed those before. I'm not sure what they're for either. Probably for attaching pods or other external pouches/gear.

Be careful about adding too many external pouches and pods. One can quickly "overload" the pack with too much modularity.

Take care,

AndyL
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks

the belt doesn't touch at the front be it's fairly close if I'm only wearing a t shirt. There's a reasonable amount of webbing when I have a fleece ans shell layer on though.
I did read the guide on military morons and now having re read it it makes sense so will have a look and make sure I've got teh sholder straps set up correctly

I understand it would be easy to overload the small pack. I think the max I'd do would be tent on top and sleeping bag in the pod (tent is 3kg and bag is 1.2kg) and tend to travel fairly light unless I'm only carrying stuff very short distances.

I too though the loops must be for dock n lock but it's right nixt to the pals while the other end of the row is sewed down.

One last thing, the quick release buckles squeek when I move around Is there a way to get rid of that?

gdw042
05-20-2009, 12:32 PM
The loops of which you speak (I think) are for D&L stuff on the sides. I have long pockets Maliced to the sides and buckles attached to those loops to compress said pockets. They would work fine as just D&L too I think.

I can't help you on the squeaking issue, mine don't do that...

Having the long pockets on the sides adds an incredible amount of room to the pack while keeping the weight closer to the back. I highly recommend them. Much beyond that and mine gets pretty overloaded for the suspension...
GDW

Pardner
05-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Just a note regarding the padding touching -- got this advice from Patrick himself -- it's OK to have the padding touch, the key is to have coverage so too small is not good and not going to be comfortable but touching is ok. Hope that helps.

AndyL
05-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Just a note regarding the padding touching -- got this advice from Patrick himself -- it's OK to have the padding touch, the key is to have coverage so too small is not good and not going to be comfortable but touching is ok. Hope that helps.
Thanks for that info. When I bought the pack I had no idea what size the belt was and was concerned I would have to buy a smaller one (which would have stillbeen much cheaper then importing a new pack

I've just weighed the pack, with the first aid gear, blanket and my own kit in the pod the total weight is around 25lbs. Much better then carrying a first aide bag plus a seperate one for my own stuff.

steveb
05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
If the belt ends touch, I'd definitely go smaller. If the waist belt 'bottoms-out', you won't be able to tighten it down enough for heavy loads. The small belt is 26-32, medium 32-38, and large for 38+ waist. If you are in between, get both and see which one works better. Ideally, you should have couple of inches on each side to 'play with' (about 2 to 8 inches between belt tips. It's actuall better to have the belt too small than too big!

AndyL
05-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks

The belt must be the 32-38 as I'm hovering between 30 and 32inch trousers depending on brand. The ends of the belt don't touch but therere isn't much left. Once I add a jacket there's plenty though.

I've been going for a few short walks and trying to get it set up properly. I think I'm getting there.

steveb
05-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Andy, you might want to consider trying the small belt. You can return it if the medium is better, or it will be well worth the cost if it works better for you. I have a 33 to 34 waist and use the medium belt. I just ordered a small belt so my son can use the packs, and I can always use it if I lose some weight. In my opinion, a 32 inch waist is the minimum for a medium belt, no matter the clothing (even a heavy coat only makes about an inch difference when compressed).

Pardner
05-23-2009, 10:08 AM
My earlier question: One question for Mel or others out there, with the belt all cinched up and tight, how far apart should the ends of the padded area be? Are 8 inches too far apart? Are 2 inches too close? These situations come about when you add layers in winter or when someone much smaller/much bigger uses the pack.

Answer from Patrick: Pardner, two inches is fine. Even pads touching is copacetic. But 8 inches apart is a bit much for real comfort; you'd want a larger size belt

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?p=159892#post159892

AndyL
06-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I think I'm getting better at getting the straps done up properly, I may have been doing some a little tight before.

Does anyone have any tips for getting it feeling right when I'm cycling? I cycled to work with it the other day and it was digging into the small of my back and felt a bit sloppy at the top