PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Rondie Highlights

Kmassaro
05-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Okay. The 2009 Colorado Rondie was a success. Some great items of note, in no particular order:

The 24 man tipi looks like it needs a HDTV at one end, and a wet bar at the other. Tipi goodness, but bigger.

Stump shooting with Jon S, and Timberline, the beginner and the pro. I'd do that every day. Jon S is a natural, and Timberline, well, he knows what he's doing. To compete at stump shooting with those guys, bring your A game.

Twisted bacon, with brown sugar and red pepper, prepared by Scouting Wyo's lovely wife, Jessie. I'm sure she added crack to it, too, as it was that addictive. I tried to eat a half pig's worth. My only regret is that I didn't eat more, but I'll fix that over the years.

The usual firing line and 600 yd gong range. I saw, and heard, a lot of clangs. And 100% perfect gun safety.

The kids were maintenance free. Amazing what the children of good people are like. Well, not it's not that amazing.

The new packs. I have a Spike Camp, a Late Season and a Longhunter. They are marvelous. I want a G2. In foilage green, it'll be marvelous plus.

Our friends from the Northwest coming down. They added a lot to every bout of story telling.

World class people. All of them.

Great food. In addition to twist bacon, a spanish breakfast, elk steak, machaca,....etc. Wonderful food.

A green Kifaru hat. I'm not a big hat guy, as my head cooks, but damn that thing looks good.

Otoejet
05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
What a great weekend at my first Rondy, although only there for 24 hours. Showing up Saturday morning to see the firing line up and running got the day started just right. Being able to put faces with screen names like Timberline and Huntsman was another highlight of the early piece of my time.

I set up the .270 on a tarp with Evan (colorado) by my side and proceeded to shoot my way to the sheep and 600 and the gong. A quick note of caution: just because the target is farther away, DO NOT get closer to the scope! It may feel like you're shortening the distance, but actually you end up with a big bump on your nose from the scope. The only redeeming thing about this is that the bump and blood didn't register for about 10 minutes as I was too excited to hear that 130 gr. hit the gong.

Evan and I packed up the firearms and headed to fish. We had a great time at the river and finished up with a 45 minute limit at the resevoir. We returned for dinner of venison steaks and a couple of trout (one grilled and one smoked by Kevin-thanks for the vittles).

The highlight for me, though, was the time spent in the 24 man. What an amazing group of men, women, children, and dogs. It was great to finally meet Patrick who I've heard so many amazing things about on the board and from Evan and my father-in-law. I spent a good amount of time twisting Timberline's ear about his career path, hunting endevours, and anything else I could squeeze out of him. Maybe I can get him to come talk to our journalism students next year? Huntsman and I are nearly neighbors and when I told him I had some access to a stretch of private land to hunt coyotes on, I think I got his attention. What a great guy to talk to. The bigfoot conversation with the Northwest guys was intresting and insightful.

Waking up Sunday morning was bittersweet, as any morning waking up in the mountains is envigorating. The realization that the kids were waiting at home set me off early. We did, though, enjoy the bounty of Evan and my fishing for dinner, so I got to bring a piece of the Rondy home to my family. Maybe next year I'll bring a part of the family to the Rondy.

A great time spent with some amazing folks. Thank you so much all of you who shared camp.

CCH
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I was thinking a stove heated hot tub would work well in the 24 man.

I'm sorry to say that I ruined the 100% safety, I stupidly laid a pistol on a bench pointing the wrong way. Empty, locked open action, no magazine but still an idiot move. No excuses, but I believe in full disclosure.

The new hat color is awesome although it is going to be harder for Patrick and Sawtooth to make them looks so "aged".

Smokepole
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Twisted bacon, with brown sugar and red pepper, prepared by Scouting Wyo's lovely wife, Jessie. I'm sure she added crack to it, too, as it was that addictive. I tried to eat a half pig's worth. My only regret is that I didn't eat more, but I'll fix that over the years.

SOUNDS really really good, and thanks go out to Jessie. Singleshot and I arrived late and did manage to snag some french toast, but our only regret was that you didn't eat less bacon, because we didn't get any!!!!!!!

CCH
05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Didn't get bacon????? They sent left overs to the big tipi. Despite our best efforts, some of it even burned a bit wrapped in aluminum foil on the arctic stove to keep warm for "late comers".

Scoutin' Wyo
05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Didn't get bacon????? They sent left overs to the big tipi. Despite our best efforts, some of it even burned a bit wrapped in aluminum foil on the arctic stove to keep warm for "late comers".

That was the "crack free" bacon. The real stuff was LONG gone before Smokepole showed up.

scothill
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry to say that I ruined the 100% safety, I stupidly laid a pistol on a bench pointing the wrong way. Empty, locked open action, no magazine but still an idiot move. No excuses, but I believe in full disclosure.

While a bit disconcerting/lame it was certainly better then the guy who swept about 1/3 of the 24 man with his loaded 1911 while his finger was in the trigger guard demonstrating a draw from his look "I have a gun fanny pack" Saturday night.

Luckily it was over quickly, and I decided to say nothing.

Thank you for coming clean.

David in OR
05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
certainly better then the guy who swept about 1/3 of the 24 man with his loaded 1911 while his finger was in the trigger guard demonstrating a draw from his look "I have a gun fanny pack" Saturday night.

I've been reading about the ronde, wishing I'd been there, but glad I missed that part. Did anyone say anything? Talk about a "teachable moment"... /yipes/