PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Rondie Photos

tendeerfeet
05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Hello all,
just got back home and we wanted to post some photos of the 24 man tipi in action.

CCH
05-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Notice the Hill brothers gazing up with rapt attention at a couple of Colorado guys in that first photo. ;)

I thought it was a great Rendezvous as usual, especially as a contingent from the Northwest was able to join us. Great bunch of guys those, with lots to share. The meal I enjoyed with them was especially edifying covering a gamut of subjects, many of which I would never have contemplated without their inspiration. Thanks for the thought provoking!

Ozarkrambler created THE best duck I have ever had. Everything else sort of paled in comparison after tasting that, although some elk backstrap and ribeyes the following night certainly weren't too shabby.

All the usual suspects were there. Huntsman22 spent much of his time down on the firing range helping all and sundry, especially the young 'uns. Timberline and Kevin killed many stumps with blunts over the course of the weekend. Singleshot was able to get even the semi-skilled to hit steel at 500 or 600 yards with his XPs. He seemed like a magician. Just when you thought he couldn't pull another gun out of his truck, he'd bring out two more. He probably needs to upgrade to a one ton truck to haul all that iron.

Jon S needed to do no more than sport his hat (roughly as wide as he is tall) to inspire grins a plenty. His wife showed genuine affection for him but I think there was beer involved. ScoutingWyo won for most impressive vehicle. I hope someone got some pictures of that rig, you won't find too many like it. When it rumbled up, I thought the circus had come to town. He is particularly proud of the seats. His lovely wife fixed french toast, bacon and spuds Saturday morning and their son made sure everyone knew when it was time to eat. Thanks again for that scrumptious breakfast!

Speaking of the circus, Ozark's kids entertained the crowd with an act somewhere between the Flying Welendas and Roberto the Knife Thrower. Jon S's African sourced club helped broaden the act as it flew in graceful arcs towards rotting aspen limbs and then plummeted quickly towards touseled childrens' heads. Sawtooth's girl Hannah threw in a trapeeze routine. All we were missing were elephants and tigers as clowns abounded.

Michael kept the coffee hot and his beautiful dog, Tanner, tried to keep all of our laps warm. We had a wide array of fun loving and well behaved dogs. Huntsman22 was unable to call any in with his squeaker though. I think the vittles in camp were a bit too satisfying.

Smokepole had to leave too early. Westy might have stayed too long (he bunked with me). :D

That covers just a few of the great people in attendance. Here's a huge thank you to Patrick and the entire Kifaru crew that put on this special spectacle. I'm already looking forward to next year.

By the way, although I received a bit of criticism for my shelter, I had a waiting line of people who wanted to sleep in it. :D I think it will probably go up next year as well.

Kmassaro
05-17-2009, 09:20 PM
CCH, Jon S confessed that his hat was given to him by some guy who worked on the "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy" TV show. But he shot well in spite of it, and Minda made some world class biscuits this morning.

CCH
05-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I thought those guys have too much "taste" for a hat like that? ;) I have to confess -- and I'm not joking -- that it has a certain appeal if you have the type of hair styles Jon and I share (I've still got more I think). Anyone with the cojones to wear that hat cannot be questioned as to his manhood. :D

I'm truly sorry I missed those biscuits.

Sawtooth
05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
CCH,

I'm truly sorry you missed the biscuits, too. I was forced to eat yours, and Big Jon forced me to put honey all over them.

CCH
05-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Well Westy very generously bought me San Francisco pizza on the way home. That is not a euphemism by the way, it's some pretty good sourdough pizza. So there! I think he was showing me his deep gratitude for the fine whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and honey that I put together for him in the morning. :)

Randy
05-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Well I made it home late last night and too early the Rondy was over. I truly had a great time meeting all the folks we only know through screen names and pictures of the adventures they enjoy.

Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality, the incredible food, the generosity, the incredible array of firearms and all the ammo you allowed us burn.

Most of all, thanks for the great conversation and fellowship. It is truly amazing that folks from all walks of life and backgrounds can come together over the internet and gather for a weekend of fun with no hassles and good times had by all.

And thanks goes as well to my travelling companions...quality men all.

I'll get some photos up in the next couple of days as well as some more detailed observations.

Thanks again!

Jon S
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Glad the hat provided some conversation and was used for the primary purpose. Friday night and Sat a.m., I was worried I wouldn't be able to use it, but the sun shone through and all was in place. The lack of sun on my face and bald spot (most of my head) was worth the jeering.
The food was great (bacon, french toast, elk, turkey, beef, biscuits, omelettes, whiskey (scotch and bourbon)), camaraderie was wonderful and Minda and I had a great time.
I was sans camera for the weekend, so no photos, but we did end up with a recipe for bacon as well as a pound of bacon that will be enjoyed this weekend.

Thanks to Timberline and Kevin for stump shooting with me, that was fun. I learned some shooting techniques and will be learning more from the reading Timberline provided. Also to Timberline for ruining my wife's Christmas, she might be buying me a Leica Geovid, hope she starts saving now, that was fun to use.
CCH, I appreciate the ML book, will be reading it soon.
Ozark, sorry about not checking out the hammock, will have to put it on next year's list of things to look into more.

If anyone ended up with a greyish black stocking cap, please let me know. Thin, wool blend, REI tag that is mostly worn out in it. It keeps this bald head warm at night and would be greatly appreciated if someone has it. I imagine I left it in the big tipi somewhere Saturday afternoon as I didn't have it Sat night.

Thanks for a great time, already planning for next year, will try to get the bluegrass boys to not get a paying gig the same weekend so they can come enjoy the festivities.

CCH
05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
On the found list, there were two ice packs in the cooler that I loaned the NW guys. Anyone want to claim them?

evanhill
05-18-2009, 12:36 PM
With three threads going, I tried to pick the one with the most momentum...

We took a handful of pictures that I'll have to post later.

For me, returning to this chunk of Colorado where I've spent so much time was a religious experience. I could've spent the entire trip sitting on a ridgeline watching the clouds play across the mountains and the late afternoon light filter down through the aspens.

I did do some of that, but with so many great people around the majority of my time was spent in conversation, and, as Randy said, fellowship. What a great group of people! I also want to thank the Colorado folks for their outstanding hospitality and everyone who prepared group meals. I thought it was awfully bold talk when Scoutin Wyo's wife announced Friday night that she'd have french toast ready for everyone the next morning. She delivered in spades. Nate's brisket that he smoked all day Friday was both tasty and plentiful. CCH's bottomless supply of turkey chili was something that I came back to more than once throughout the weekend. Speaking of CCH, he kept making these comments that I didn't quite understand...

On Saturday night, I got Huntsman started on tales drawn from his decades of experience across Colorado. Every time he started slowing down, it usually took about one good turn on the pump handle to get that water flowing again just as clear and sweet as it had before. I think my favorite was the mountain lion "treed" on the TV antenna of the Cotopaxi store, but it had stiff competition.

This was the first time I'd seen all of the shelters lined up in a row, which made it really easy to determine that I "need" both a 6 man and a 12 man. The G2 hunting line looked really good to me as well.

We rounded out the weekend by going out over Hoosier Pass and then stopping at Beaujos Pizza in Idaho Springs on the way to the airport. It was disappointing to see all the beetle kill in summit county, and reassuring to find that the pizza is as good as ever.

Maybe I can come back next year and bring the whole family along.

snowdevil
05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
A few more shots of the 24 Man Tipi, the last one of it all packed up.
It accomodated 38 people, 4 dogs and two stoves at one point!
Maggie

CCH
05-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Sheesh Evan, I thought it was only Patrick that didn't get me. ;)

Tracy
05-19-2009, 12:40 AM
I am so bummed I missed this rondy, but glad at least Randy, Bushcraft, Scott, & Evan could represent the NW group and put a few more faces to names. Randy came home with a wealth of stories, a wonderful bacon recipe, and an admission to now liking duck (which in the past he's always swore was nasty, so someone out there must be a fine cook). He says it changed his attitude enough to want to take up duck hunting, which of course means he'll need another gun. Sounds good to me...you can never have too many knives, guns, or ammo...

I am completely jealous that I didn't get to see the monsterous 24-man in action (although the pics are impressive), and even more jealous that I didn't get to handle, shoot, and generally drool over the miriad of firearms available.

Despite "missing out", I am enjoying the pics that have been posted and hope at least a few of the Colorado bunch can make it up here to the NW rondy later on in the summer so I can meet you.

Thanks to all of you for your generosity, giving our NW guys a warm welcome and a place to bunk for the weekend.

Tracy

CCH
05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Ozarkrambler gets credit for the duck. It was FABULOUS. I've really not had much better food, much less better duck.

snakey2
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm in agreement with Tracy, really sorry I missed out! I will definitely have to make it out some year. Looks like it was an outstanding time. I really like the amount of pictures, gives me a good feel for the event.

flamingo 7
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM
What a wonderful time the Rondie was this year. I hardly know where to start with thanks. Everyone has so much to offer and are equally generous with their ideas, food and guns. Having the guys from the PNW was a real treat and I would highly recommend making an attempt to get to a rendezvous that isn't your "home" one.
I spent a long time in the Army, and have more than a couple of combat deployments. I'd share a foxhole with any of the people that showed up and would have to say that people like these and outfits like Kifaru are well worth fighting and dying for. You're first rate. Thanks to all

Gregdoo
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Not to get too far afield here......but in an earlier post in this thread Jon S. was lamenting his wife needing to buy him a set of Leica Geovids for Xmas after he grew attached to Timberline's.......Leica is now offering a $350 rebate until the end of Sept. on Geovids and Ultravids. Maybe Xmas will come early?

Smokepole
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I enjoyed myself so much that I drove off and left two folding chairs there, one a maroon "Gander Mountain" special, and the other a red, white, and blue flag chair.

Anybody end up with those?

Gregdoo
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
There were several extra chairs once the 24-man came down, including the Gander Mt.....I think they ended up heading to Golden with Kifaru's Kevin.

singleshot
05-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Heres another shot of Hanna shooting on her own.
Also impressive was watching her climb up the tree.

[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/007-2.jpg

Kevin and I set aside 20 minutes to fish on Sunday. Each of us caught a trout
within 14 minutes.

[img][IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/006-1.jpg

Anyone lose some hearing protection?

[img][IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/009.jpg

Beside shooting the big guns, Huntsman 22 also tried the handgun.

[img][IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/003-2.jpg[img/]

evanhill
05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Turns out I didn't take that many pictures. Here are a few.

Taking a look at the Garden of the Gods with Pike's Peak behind:
http://www.evanhill.org/images/coRondy2009/1.jpg

CCH, Westy, Bushcraft, Randy, and Scot talking with the Lost Creek Wilderness area behind:
http://www.evanhill.org/images/coRondy2009/3.jpg

I may not have a picture of a Sasquatch, but I hope this digitally altered photo proves to you guys that there is a quad cab international with a popup camper driving around out there somewhere:
http://www.evanhill.org/images/coRondy2009/4.jpg

Smokepole
05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I may not have a picture of a Sasquatch, but I hope this digitally altered photo proves to you guys that there is a quad cab international with a popup camper driving around out there somewhere:

Almost as rare......

CCH
05-20-2009, 08:12 AM
By the way, I do not have a tumor. I think that is a large hunk of Westy provided elk bulging from my cheek. Might be a cheddar brat though or maybe ribeye? Sadly it is not ozarkrambler's duck although all those possibilities are awfully good. I'm going through food withdrawal here at home.

I think I've discovered my new diet. Despite subsisting mainly off of red meat, more beer in two days than I drink in a month or two and absolutely no exercise, I lost two pounds over the weekend.

I'm pretty sure that International is much more rare. It is the ONLY one with Ford Expedition power seats.

one-eyed Bob
05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Am I mistaken, or is that Jiffy Pop being cooked on the stove in the first picture? Jiffy Pop was invented by my first anesthesia professor, Gayle Dryden MD; he held many other patents and inspired my career choice.

Kmassaro
05-23-2009, 09:41 PM
That was Jiffy Pop, and the kids loved it. Works fine on the stove, and keeps them entertained. It is not as good as twisty bacon, or, I hear, duck, though.

Huntsman22
05-24-2009, 06:54 PM
I didn't take pics at the actual rondy, 'cause I didn't think I'd ever be able to get on a 'puter again. Anyhoo, these 2 are the only ones I took. Stopped at the skwirl patch just below camp on the way in thursday.........

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1664.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_1665.jpg

Smokepole
05-24-2009, 09:36 PM
How'd you get 'em to line up like that?

fish
05-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Kevin smoking...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2435/3560446829_cbd91cec56.jpg?v=0

Patric showing off the packed 24 man tipi, poles and arctic stove. As small as this set up is Patric tells me the tipi stuff sac will be smaller for production version of the 24 man tipi.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/3560447597_a671649e6f.jpg?v=0

Michael shooting the Savage 22. You can see Kevin in the yellow tipi down the hill a bit.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3560431925_78f7ae7078.jpg?v=0

A nice line up.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/3560424967_f13bd888d9.jpg?v=0