PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Kifaru Mil Packs

steveb
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
A poll to see what is the most common or favourite Kifaru ruck.

straps
05-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Gotta go with the Pointman. Wearable with armor. It's the pack I use when I don't have the option of heading out the door with a High-Capacity pack AND an EDC/Assault pack (AAAND it PB's a Scout comfortably without looking too freakish). Jumpable. Epitome of the "Modular and Multifunctional" ethic. If they made an "AG3" based on the Pointman I'd stop buying all the gun stuff they're gonna ban next year and belly up to the bar right now...

rhunter424
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
My choice goes with the 3 that have survived my pack rotations with Kifaru: ZXR, Mollex/Express, and scout. The way the mollex stays almost hidden behind me, some organization, and longer stays than other omni-suspension packs...I can't say no to it for most outings.

jadias
05-12-2009, 06:35 AM
I always assumed the Express series was a sleeper that always fell behind the Marauder and the like when people think "Kifaru", but obviously I was wrong! I love mine, anyway. :)

circle
05-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Out of all the Kifaru bags I've owned, bearing in mind that each one is specifically designed with a purpose in mind, I have settled with my Express.

Its Natural Selection at work!

Si

steveb
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Looks like the Express is kickin' some tail. No Navigator fans?

jadias
05-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Shouldn't the E&E be up there too? I'd vote for it if it was (and I could vote again, natch).

Cameron
05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Always the (S)Express.

XOGA
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
The problem with such polls is that they either force subjects to pick only one, or to vote for every item that they like.

It would be more useful to divide them up into Expedition, Large, and Medium packs, and to afford the polled the opportunity to rank their favorite 3. I don't know how to set up such a poll on this site, but the results would be far more informative. It would be worth polling to see how people order the Scout, the X-Ray, and the E&E. My guess is that the E&E with added pouches has supplanted the Scout in sales.

Large hauler: ZXR (it's the one I bought, but I'm seriously considering the Navigator next). Fantastic pack.

Medium: I own an X-ray, but intend to get a MOLLE Express and a Marauder this year.

I have 2 E&Es....

I have other packs, but they are gathering dust in the basement....

Brotzie
05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I have other packs, but they are gathering dust in the basement....
I had other packs, but I gave them all away :D

I voted on an EDC basis and plumped for the XRay, but you guys all know I've got a Zulu and a brace of E&Es too.

BuckarooMedic
05-13-2009, 06:59 AM
I agree with XOGA, it's very difficult to pick just one pack for military use. That's a really broad term, but, if I had to do it all over again and just take one pack it would be a Zulu (with a Contico full of external and internal pockets). This pack just works well for me. Now, if I was back in the light infantry again or the mech infantry or a medical unit it would probably be a different pack.

Chucker
05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Gotta go with my first love: Pointman. Although my X-Ray trumps it for frequency of use. It's my EDC.

gdw042
05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Agree with the comments of "What's the intended use?" To me though, that's the beauty of the entire line, is that they do not try to have a "do it all" pack, but rather there are different packs for different missions. However, the pack can still be tailored to a great deal to fit the mission with relative ease.

For example, I love my EMR for backpacking, but here in Iraq, I did not want to bring it, as it would not have fit my needs here at all. My Marauder and E&E + accessories fit my needs here far better than the EMR would. Yet, if necessary, I can strap almost as much crap onto my Marauder for short distances as I can fit in my EMR. Modular and multifinctional...

I will confess to looking hard at an Express for dayhiking when I get back though. I have been hearing lots of good things about them.
GDW

steveb
05-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Note about poll: I've set the poll up so you can pick more than one pack, go ahead and pick 2 or 3 if you desire. 10 is the limit for # of choices, or I would've separated the Expresses and included E&E and TailGunners.

Cpl Punishment
05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
1.) Zulu. It's the do-all pack for me. Since I live in the south, I can carry a 3-season load in just the pack itself -- cinching down for summer and filling it for late fall/early spring. In winter I can add pockets to add what I need.

2.) If I did northern camping on a regular basis, especially in the winter, I'd get an MMR so I could carry as much as possible (probably everything I'd take for winter) in the pack itself.

Either one of these will last me a week in their intended environments.

If I would go spend a month in the sticks somewhere, then, of course the EMR would be the weapon of choice.

steveb
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, the poll is now closed. Most packs got about 15 or so votes with a couple of big exceptions. With only 3 votes, the Navigator was the least popular by a wide margin. On the other hand, the Express/MolleX had 35! We have a winner. The X-Ray also did well. I think these two packs do well because they have a design that works well for what people do most (EDC, Patrol, Hike). Not to say the others are lacking. Even though I sold my Pointman and MMR to get a pack(s) I could use more often (G2 Zulu, maybe MolleX next), I thought they were excellent packs, and that MMR is simply a work of art!

Doc
05-31-2009, 05:20 AM
An EMR, for those 'packhorse' deployments...