PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel With an Express

dlaot1
05-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey all, I recently received my first Kifaru pack, a CB MOLLE Express along with 2 Long Pockets, a Medium Pod and an E&E. I've tried searching the forums and online to see if it was possible to have the Express fully loaded and still able to be brought on as a carry-on. So far, I haven't really been able to find an answer, so any help would be very much appreciated.

mountaintrek
05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey all, I recently received my first Kifaru pack, a CB MOLLE Express along with 2 Long Pockets, a Medium Pod and an E&E. I've tried searching the forums and online to see if it was possible to have the Express fully loaded and still able to be brought on as a carry-on. So far, I haven't really been able to find an answer, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Not sure about the pods. Use an Express and two long pockets without a problem. Both domestic and international. Including domestic european flights where the luggage requirements are more strict.
M

Raven67
05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Morning,

I travel on planes and helicopters extensively. My normal carry on, is a molle express with an organizer and two mini long pockets. It fits in most overheads and under most seats. Small commuters can be tuff at times. I have not been questioned yet. I have also carried a navigator without pockets and never had a problem. The long pockets should work, just make sure they are not stuffed to the bursting point so you have some compressibility. My minis are always stuffed but fit in the bins well. The Express with the E&E and pods attached would be a no-go. You could carry the E&E on as a second item or stow it with the pods in a checked bag. :D

Cameron
05-10-2009, 12:11 PM
My normal carry on, is a molle express with an organizer and two mini long pockets. It fits in most overheads and under most seats.

+1 I have taken a MOLLE Express with Organizer and Mini Longs all over the world.

Cameron

dlaot1
06-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey all, I just got done with a flight from SFO to PHX using my Molle Express w/ Long Pockets and an E&E as my carry-on, and I must say that it handled my gear like a dream. I had messed around with it when I first got it, loading it up with a typical FTX packing list, loading it up with gear for inspection and even used it for moving out, but my flight was the first real test of what it could do, and it passed with ease. By my scale the pack weighed 29-30 lbs and was solid as a rock. The hydration pouch swallowed my 15 inch laptop and held it snug, and the pack itself had ample room for all my items. I was among the last to board the plane, and the overhead compartment was stuffed, but I still was able to work the situation out by popping off the Long Pockets and E&E and stowing the pack under the seat in front of me. All in all, I was impressed, and am very excited to see how it performs on an upcoming international flight as my only piece of luggage.

dlaot1
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread like this, but I am getting ready to fly to Tajikistan for a 3 week study abroad session, and I was wondering if the stays in my MOLLE Express are going to be an issue in the following countries:

Germany
Latvia
Tajikistan

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

mountaintrek
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread like this, but I am getting ready to fly to Tajikistan for a 3 week study abroad session, and I was wondering if the stays in my MOLLE Express are going to be an issue in the following countries:

Germany
Latvia
Tajikistan

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

First hand experience. No problem. Do not attach carabiners-snap links to your pack got mine confiscated in Frankfurt..... Have some packs of marlboro (red!) smokes handy for Tajistikan best souvenir/bribe you can hand out there......

duckear
07-30-2009, 05:42 AM
mountaintrek,
any idea why they took your carabiners?

Did they take them off in front of you or did they just come up missing?

mountaintrek
07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
mountaintrek,
any idea why they took your carabiners?

Did they take them off in front of you or did they just come up missing?

Duckear,
it was the security guys before you are allowed to the gate. They were confiscated in front of me. It happened once before when I had them clipped to the outside of the pack . Since then I do not fly via Paris and I hang them inside my pack. The Xray found them. They are not listed as prohibited items but the security guys in the EU have power to confiscate any object they might deem a weapon. That is the way it was explained to me. (Offf the record they are right...) The security here is much stricter than in the US and almost everyone gets a pat down . That being said the last three years of flying with two snap links on my carry on I never had a problem.

Skidder
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
On the 'beaner issue...I carried at least two on my packs for many years, before and after 9-11. Then one trip through Paris in 2005 and they were gone. I asked the "nice security lady" what the issue was, she put them on her hands like brass knuckles. I just laughed, shook my head and walked away. It is funny what is, and isn't, considered a 'danger to safety'.

jadias
11-16-2009, 08:55 PM
It always makes me laugh that the big metal stays in the back of the pack never get a second glance, but little carabiners get confiscated because of the brass knuckle issue. I know which I'd pick as a weapon if I really needed one...

Steel314
11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Or how about this one:

Rip a metal soda can in half and see how sharp of an edge that produces. There is never a shortage of cans on an airplane... but you can't even get a plastic knife?

I always find it "Amusing" when I am traveling in uniform and the nice TSA rep makes me take my boots off... It's the best when you are coming back from a deployment and you have already gone through the most ridiculous customs inspections in that ever existed.

Ralph
11-17-2009, 02:01 AM
I suspect that many folks may not know the stays are rermovable, in most conventional soft luggage the plastic or metal stiffeners are permanently sewn in.

sovereign
11-17-2009, 04:17 AM
I work for the TSA at a major hub. I'm going to run this by some higher ups to see if removable pack stays should become a banned item.

bushflyer
11-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Don't forget the soda cans also.

Skidder
11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
As a military guy who travels a lot, I would offer that to ask TSA about the stays in the Express isn't a good idea. If you bring something to their attention that 'could be used as a weapon', then they are likely to agree with you and make it illegal to carry that thing.

Originally, I had typed up specific examples of 'everyday things that can be weapons', but decided that wasn't really required, or smart. Bottom line...unless you want to travel naked, simply don't ask leading questions.

My advice, be informed, know what can happen to you, be ready if it does.

redstarcluster
11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I work for the TSA at a major hub. I'm going to run this by some higher ups to see if removable pack stays should become a banned item.

Are you serious dude? You really want to make things even more complicated than they already are? Really?

rt014
11-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Are you serious dude? You really want to make things even more complicated than they already are? Really?

I was hoping he WASN'T serious :)

sovereign
11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
http://nerdvana.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/07/batmanthedarkknightscreenshot3.jpg

rt014
11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
There you have it....removable stays stay :)

sovereign
11-17-2009, 11:32 AM
You guys can calm down. It was 4am and I couldn't sleep. Thought it would be funny.

Ha haha ha ha ha....ha.

I have a new G2 Multicam Molle Express which will be making its maiden voyage through the friendly skies this weekend. Wish me luck.

mrbill
11-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Too late! I'm a double naught spy for the TSA on the board and we are watching all a ya'll.

Anyone get the obscure reference?

poi dog
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm actually surprised that TSA hasn't banned the stays. I commute weekly with my x -ray, and have been doing so for about 5 years, with no problems. Knowing how extreme the government can get, I'm just waiting for the day that they'll make me place my pack in baggage. I thought for sure I'd get denied at the LAX this past October by TSA, but not a wink...yet.

Mr Yarrow
11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
You guys have way better baggage restrictions then the UK :(

No way a MOLLEX would be allowed as cary on in the UK. My fully loaded E&E with pouches on front and side filled the height and depth restrictions but was a fair way short of the width.

Rgds

Aimless
11-21-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm actually surprised that TSA hasn't banned the stays. I commute weekly with my x -ray, and have been doing so for about 5 years, with no problems. Knowing how extreme the government can get, I'm just waiting for the day that they'll make me place my pack in baggage. I thought for sure I'd get denied at the LAX this past October by TSA, but not a wink...yet.

I bet they don't realize you can remove the stays.

poi dog
11-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I bet they don't realize you can remove the stays.Thats probably true but I'd think that, on the x-ray, it looks to be a "floating" piece that could be removed by having the material around it pre-cut.

jadias
11-23-2009, 06:22 AM
You guys have way better baggage restrictions then the UK :(

No way a MOLLEX would be allowed as cary on in the UK. My fully loaded E&E with pouches on front and side filled the height and depth restrictions but was a fair way short of the width.

Rgds

I took mine as a carry-on in August, UK to Iceland, with IcelandAir. MOLLE Express, fully-loaded, with Organiser. Damn thing only just fit in the overhead bins (the Organiser kept snagging on stuff) but no-one seemed to care how big it was. Pretty sure it was over the weight limit, too.

Uncle Jake
12-04-2009, 07:36 PM
TSA is a joke.

True story:
I just recently flew down to MT from AK, with a 4 hour layover in SEATAC. My sister was going to meet me at 7 AM, but my redeye was delayed two hours. So my sister, who does not know my flight number/ ticket number, when up to an airline kiosk and asked when the flight was coming in. The clerk pulled up ALL of my information (seat number, luggage check, flight departure, est. arrival) and freely gave it to my sister without asking for ID or nothing. Then, the same person, with no prompting or asking of my sister, volunteered to print a fake boarding pass so that she could meet me at the gate. When this person saw that my sister was carrying a bag containing two loaves of banana bread (wrapped in tinfoil), they whisked my sister through an employee entrance so she would not have to do the security check line. My sister never asked, pleaded or tried to coerce any of this, nor had she ever met this person before. And this happened at SEATAC, not podunk MT. Both of us were shocked.

Just goes to show that "security" is a joke. What is going to stop someone who really wants to get in?
:mad:

PS> sorry for ranting. Express is good for travel. I am hoping that my wife's hinting means I get one for Christmas...

sovereign
12-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I just finished an OP from Denver to Atlanta and back. No hostile activity to report. The MOLLEX fit under the seat or in the overhead just fine. Fortunately, no one weighed it.

rheb1026
12-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Used my Mollex and went through London Heathrow and Italy's Fiumicino with no problems. Also had an E&E D&L'd to carry all the little things I like to keep with me

Mr Yarrow
12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Im confused;

Mollex - 59.6cm x 35.5cm x ?cm

UK airport luggage size is currently restricted to a max of - 56cm x 45cm x 25cm

That means that the Mollex is too big, and id guess the depth is to big as well, especially with an E&E on the front, very surprised they didnt make you put it into one of thsoe small cages set to the size limits. Who did you fly with, to be fair I am used to cheap cariers who are very picky and strict on size/weight.

Rgds

sovereign
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Im confused;

UK airport luggage size is currently restricted to a max of - 56cm x 45cm x 25cm

That means that the Mollex is too big, and id guess the depth is to big as well, especially with an E&E on the front, very surprised they didnt make you put it into one of thsoe small cages set to the size limits. Who did you fly with, to be fair I am used to cheap cariers who are very picky and strict on size/weight.

Rgds

Nothing is legal in the UK. Not even butter knives. Didn't you know that?

All joking aside, I have taken a G1 Zulu on board before as well. No questions. Never had to use "the cage". I was on United this time. Funny thing, for a 2,000 mile flight I was on a POS Embraer 170. They can't even afford Boeing jets anymore. Not even an Airbus. It was a cramped, hot POS.

mountaintrek
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Im confused;

Rgds

MrY,
it depends on luck and the carrier you are flying. Flying with an US carrier is different then flying with BA. The UK restrictions are the most draconian in the EU and I have seen people having problems. Experienced so myself. But as a frequent flyer I used my Express as a carry on without a problem repeatedly . The pack was bare and it looks smaller than it is. (That is the big secret of the Express......) And it never was an issue.
It also helps if you ignore that little measuring cage-act with confidence (not arrogance)-are clean cut and smile.

M

Bullfrog
05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Bringing this back up as I'll be doing a few flights on obscure EU carriers with my Mollex and Long Pockets... Anyone have any experience with Transavia Airlines? (I'm going from Amsterdam to Berlin).

Also, anyone have any issues in general flying with the Mollex and Long Pockets in the past 6 months?

Thanks!

Busto963
05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Bringing this back up as I'll be doing a few flights on obscure EU carriers with my Mollex and Long Pockets... Anyone have any experience with Transavia Airlines? (I'm going from Amsterdam to Berlin).

Also, anyone have any issues in general flying with the Mollex and Long Pockets in the past 6 months?

Thanks!

I just flew from to Amsterdam and then on to Stuttgart with a G2 Zulu w/two long pockets - no issues even on the tiny intercity jet from Amsterdam to Stuttgart.

That said, it was KLM and while there were no issues with height or width, I can see were overloading the thickness of the bag from (front to rear) could cause problems.

Bullfrog
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I just flew from to Amsterdam and then on to Stuttgart with a G2 Zulu w/two long pockets - no issues even on the tiny intercity jet from Amsterdam to Stuttgart.

That said, it was KLM and while there were no issues with height or width, I can see were overloading the thickness of the bag from (front to rear) could cause problems.

Hi Busto - thanks for the info and great to know.

I'm aiming to keep under a 45 lbs weight limit due to the fact that this pack will be on my back for 2 months, so I dont think my Mollex will be too stuffed out :D

mountaintrek
05-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks!

Bullfrog,
most of these "discount" airlines do not really enforce weight limits on carry ons.. I did the same trip. Same set up (mine is prettier because it is a naked Express..) no problem. Did the same with Siwash and no problem as well. It is the appearance not the weight.