PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Colorado Rendezvous

Patrick
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Hello Gents,

The 6th Annual Colorado Rendezvous will commence on Thursday May 14 2009 and run through Sunday May 17. I will be up at the site setting up tipis around mid-day Wednesday the 13th if anyone wants to join me.

Attendees please REGISTER with angie@kifaru.net, providing her with the following information: your name, your address, your phone number and how many folks will be attending with you. Angie will email you instructions on how to get to the Rendezvous location and general information about what to bring, etc. To summarize, you should plan on being self-sufficient: food, water, in-the-field toiletries, bedding, clothing, shelter, etc. There will be at least one of every Kifaru Tipi size set up and available for those folks who want to claim one for use, but you'd be advised to have your own back-up in the event someone beats you to the tipi you want to try. Daytimes, all these Shop tipis are available for inspection by everyone. There will also be an amazing array of sumptious vittles-for-share on hand; bring your own favorite and show it off! (though it's certainly not required). The dining at this event is simply world class...really! In other words, there's a whole lot of old-time Pot Lucking going on. Look for wild game specialties.

I always look forward to catching up with you veteran Rendezvouers, and meeting the new folks too...it's a highlight of the year! If you think you'd like to join us ask any questions you like right here and all us "old timers" will be happy to regale you with what this "Rondy" has come to be like.

Gentlemen, prime your weapons!

Patrick

Sawtooth
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Looking forward to seeing all the folks from previous Rondies, as well as new ones. The countdown is ON!!!

ozarkrambler
04-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Patrick, we won't be able to be there on Wednesday to help you set up, but we should be rolling in sometime early Thursday morning like usual. The boys informed me this am that exactly 1 month from now we will be on the way to Co. Needless to say they are excited as always.

Patrick, PM coming to you later this evening .

Ozark

Browtine
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
i think I remember from past posts that these rendezous' are kid friendly????? I'd love to try and make it and would probably have my 10yr old daughter with me.

Any other kids in that age range going?

evanhill
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
At least three of us from the Pacific NW will be there. Looking forward to it.

ozarkrambler
04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Browtine, most definitely kid friendly. There will be numerous kids in that age range, my three, Sawtooth's oldest two might be there, CCH has a couple of good boys, PR has a couple of sharpshooters. Should be no end to the kids underfoot.

Cleve
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Hope to swing the time to come up Friday evening, but will be heading north to canoe the Missouri in Montana on the 17th and need to get loaded up for that.

Sawtooth
04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Browtine,

It's a kid's paradise! I'll have my whole family there. Rachel is 10, Hannah is 8, and Libby (3) will probably stay around Mom quite a bit. The oldest shoots both a longbow and her .22 and air rifle, and the middle girl shoots a mean longbow. Somewhere I have a pic of ozark's boys and our girls, all in an aspen tree they'd climbed. Your gal will have lots of fun.

Sawtooth
04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
At least three of us from the Pacific NW will be there. Looking forward to it.

Evan, that's great news!

evanhill
04-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Scot and I have been debating just how close to our roots we should return for this event, as the country between Badger Mt and Tarryall is our old weekend stomping ground. If we show up on motorcycles with silver belly stetsons hung around our necks on stampede straps, you'll know we decided to go ALL the way back ;)

Timberline
04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to another Colorado Kifaru Rendezvous, all the old friends and the new ones.

Patrick - I hope you'll have the NEW hunting packs in all the new COLORS for inspection and groping. What would be really cool would be new SpikeCamp and Late Season packs outfitted with all possible additional pockets, pouches and pods, showing what’s possible with a basic Kifaru pack plus Kifaru additions.

flamingo 7
04-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Well, I've been lookin forward to this. Hope to see you all there.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-21-2009, 09:26 AM
What are the thoughts on bringing a pup? I noticed last year that the Rondy was K-9 free. I might be picking up a 4 month old black mouth cur this weekend and would hate to leave the youngster at home without us for 3-4 days.

What's everyones' opinion?

CCH
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Dogs have participated before. I'd just not let it out early in the morning when Huntsman22 might be working his call and his .204. ;)

Smokepole
04-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I bet my dog can catch more coyotes than don.

Sawtooth
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
What are the thoughts on bringing a pup? I noticed last year that the Rondy was K-9 free. I might be picking up a 4 month old black mouth cur this weekend and would hate to leave the youngster at home without us for 3-4 days.

What's everyones' opinion?

I'm sure you wouldn't let him run without human supervision, so I don't see a problem. Just keep in mind that we have an 800-yard shooting range marked off, an archery range, and that there will be pack goats in the vicinity.

Herb
04-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Small, small, little young goats. Smokepole and Westy have already signed up for the bottle brigade. Our goats kidded later than scheduled, sooo, the only way I can make it to the rondy is bring my share of the kids with me. That's the current plan. If some one wants to see a full sized goat, or take them for a spin, let me know and I can bring some more full size models, otherwise they are staying home.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I think the more I can expose this young pup to the better. Yes the little fella will be in constant contact with myself or my wife.

On a second note, does anyone have one of those 8 sided little archery targets that's about the size of a soccer ball? I thought that would be fun to roll around and shoot, just in case there is a lack of seasoned cow chips.:eek:

Otoejet
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Just locked in at least one night with my better half. I'm very excited to get up to my first (of many I hope) rendezvous.

Sawtooth
04-23-2009, 05:26 PM
On a second note, does anyone have one of those 8 sided little archery targets that's about the size of a soccer ball? I thought that would be fun to roll around and shoot, just in case there is a lack of seasoned cow chips.:eek:

There are always good chips laying around! I don't have one of those targets, but it sounds like fun.

Randy
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Just booked my travel. Looking forward to putting names and faces together. See you all in a couple of weeks

Westy
04-25-2009, 09:14 AM

I'll ty to stay away from the broken bones this year so I can participate. :)

Pilgrim 1
04-27-2009, 12:51 AM
I am looking forward to it! Not sure when will arrive yet, but probably Friday. Will be bringing a MultiCam EMR that might be looking for a new home. (the bag and XLT top only--I'm still using the frame)

I have been kinda distracted since the last Rondy and haven't been on forum but maybe once in a year, but am still alive and kickin.

Pilgrim

Patrick
05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi all, just a reminder to bring along some bug dope...it's been moist this spring and ticks might be out and about.

flamingo 7
05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Ticks? TICKS...no one said anything about ticks. Don't know if I have a tick gun. I know I don't have any tick loads. Looks like it's back to the loading bench. Maybe there's time to have Jon send me his 25 ACP Contender.

CCH
05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I still have some .25 ACP Glaser Safety Slugs if you need some serious tick SD ammo. ;)

Sawtooth
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I imagine you could take care of the ticks with my 38 Spl snake loads. :eek:

CCH
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
A little over gunned don't you think?

thewolverine
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Well,
I just received some shoddy news. I have to travel back east now during the Rondy, compliments of the Dept of the Army. :(
I know that Timberline was looking to fire a Ruger 7x57. If I can get it to Patrick or work something out, I would lone it, plus a box of ammo for you fine gentlemen. Not sure if we can make it happen, but the offer is out there

Sawtooth
05-05-2009, 09:11 AM
A little over gunned don't you think?

I don't like ticks.

CCH
05-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Well don't use the .38 to shoot them off your legs. You could probably do that with a .25 though.

Jon S
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear you will miss out TheWolverine, we will raise at least one glass to your service to us.
Not sure where in CO you are, but I am in the Denver area, let me know if I can help you with that rifle.
I would make sure it was treated like a small baby, put to bed early and had a safe place to sleep. I would only let the guys drool over her during daylight hours, supervised of course.
Let me know if I can help.

Patrick
05-06-2009, 06:35 AM
From an email exchange with Bushwhack:

The four gents attending from the Great Northwest are flying in, then making their way to the Rondy. They will be coolerless and chairless. I can bring an extra cooler and an extra camp chair. Can anyone else help out?

CCH
05-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I can bring an extra chair and cooler but won't be up until Friday some time.

flamingo 7
05-06-2009, 07:15 AM
I can bring a couple of chairs and a cooler, but won't be up untill Friday morning.

Sawtooth
05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
I can bring an extra chair and cooler, too. I will arrive around 8:00 AM Saturday morning.

thewolverine
05-06-2009, 07:56 AM
JonS,
I work at Buckley AFB. We could affect a link up. I have to fly out next week but maybe the next couple days?

Bushcraft
05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks fellas!

CCH
05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I should note that my extra chair is a Wal-Mart special and is rated for 225 lbs. -- maybe. Just sayin.... :D

Sawtooth
05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I have the same chair, it's 10 years old, and has been through the past five rondies. It MIGHT be rated for 150 pounds...just sayin.

My partner, Colin, has a double-wide chair that's rated for around 500 pounds. He says he's bringing it just in case. ;)

evanhill
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
We're not bringing any sasquatches with us, so chairs rated for adult humans should be safe. Sawtooth, hate to say it, but what you've got there is a kid's chair.

Seriously, thanks for the offers. I had actually thought in terms of picking up the ubiquitous $15 walmart special on the way in and then donating it to the cause afterwards. Cooler space would definately be handy.

scothill
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah I was starting to wonder at the weight limits. Sound like you guys have chairs for childern/little fellers. Not us full grown folks.

CCH
05-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Well for $5 (not those fancy $15 ones), what do you expect? Mine has held just over 200 lbs. including beer.

Speaking of which, the extra cooler I'm bringing should hold the beer supply for at least one of you for at least one night. Now that I think about it, it might have better load carrying capacity than the chair. You'd just have to get up to reload which I know is a major inconvenience.

Bushcraft
05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
...You'd just have to get up to reload...

Oh, the horror!

Jon S
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I can bring a large cooler for all if we want, fits a whole elk, head hide, 4 quarters and plenty of ice, will be up Friday evening if all goes as planned.
If we don't need that much, let me know, I can bring a medium one and a small one.
Let me know.
TheWolverine, give me a call, I will send you a PM
I work near 20th and Wadsworth, live near 84th and Pecos/ I-25.
Tick tock, time is approaching

CCH
05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I can't remember the measurements on my cooler. It's not one of those 120 quart marine "magnums" but it is what used to be considered a full size cooler. Will that hold enough to keep Bushcraft or one of the Hills in beer for a day or two? As an aside it does not come pre-filled.

evanhill
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Will that hold enough to keep Bushcraft or one of the Hills in beer for a day or two?

Since none of our rondys are car accessible, we've learned to weight optimize when it comes to spiritous drink -- if it ain't something you can also run your alcohol stove with, it doesn't make the cut!

Sounds like your cooler will probably hold all of our perishables CCH.

CCH
05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Somehow I lost my taste for distilled spirits when it ceased to involve college parties with Stoli shots and co-eds or better yet tequila with properly placed salt and lime. ;) I'll just have beer in my cooler.

scothill
05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Well except for KevinB who seems to think the cargo chair was designed for cases of beer.

Sawtooth
05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Somehow I lost my taste for distilled spirits when it ceased to involve college parties with Stoli shots and co-eds or better yet tequila with properly placed salt and lime. ;) I'll just have beer in my cooler.

CCH, you're turning into an old fart, just like the rest of us.

Bushcraft
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Well except for KevinB who seems to think the cargo chair was designed for cases of beer.

Wait a minute...it wasn't???

Damn, all this time we've been using them improperly.

CCH
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
CCH, you're turning into an old fart, just like the rest of us.

No, there is just a dearth of co-eds that want to do shots or anything else with me these days -- one of my 23 year old classmates referred to me as a "father figure" on my birthday last month. That and I value my life. :D

Randy
05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
You guys are the best...chairs, coolers, guns and ammo. What more could you ask for?
It won't be the same however without KevinB, his Longhunter loaded to the gills with Coors, BBQ tongs and a fireplace grate:)

This is gonna be a blast. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Huntsman22
05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Sure wish you was bringing the biggles........

CCH
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
When I told the boys I was headed up, the little one (Colton, 7) said it would be neat to see that man with the coyote -- we drove up just as you finished up skinning it out. I mentioned it was your birthday and he asked me to tell you "Happy Birthday!" for him. So almost straight from Colton to Don, there it is.

Randy
05-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Don,

If air freight wasn't so darn much and I could issue all passengers ear plugs for the flight I'd bring em along. They love camping and lots of new folks for scratches. And Scot and Gunner are good buds...especially when things around the fire get a little quiet. Scot can get ole Gunner to talk and howl as if he was actually chasing something.

Hey...why don't you join us for some Northwest hospitality? Then you can meet em face to face:)

Huntsman22
05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I may just be selling some guns at the rondy. Couple LH savage 22's, mossberg 500 12 ga., and maybe a couple hunting rifles.......If'n anybody's inna market......

Jon S
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll bring my checkbook, you do take checks from crazy tall guys, don't you?
Do we get a rattlesnake with every gun purchase?
I might need something, never can tell what I will want.

CCH
05-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Colton's not quite there yet for your lefty .22s but since you haven't sold them yet, he still may have a shot when he gets big enough. :D

Scoutin' Wyo
05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
That's if Don remebers to bring them. ;):p

Sorry Don, couldn't help myself.:D

Randy
05-11-2009, 07:50 PM
OK, in the last minute frenzy of trying to work, go over my packing list and getting my wife ready to go to a horse show, the dogs to the kennel and the house battened down for our absence I need to ask if there is adequate tipi bunk space for a guy coming from the great northwest and trying not to get nicked with overweight baggage fees.

I've got my paratipi packed and in the pile if need be...but if someone has room I'd just as soon leave it home on this trip.

Thanks in advance for all your hospitality.

Randy

Huntsman22
05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
you can bunk with me if the tipi's are all taken.....

Kmassaro
05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Randy, there will be room. Patrick will have multiple tipis up, and many of us will bring their own. I'll throw the 8 man in if we need it.

Bushcraft
05-11-2009, 08:58 PM
What sort of weather is expected for the area? Are you all getting the same, or similar, read that I am?

Thursday, May 14
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/30.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy
62°
37°
10%

Friday, May 15
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/30.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy
56°
33°
10%

Saturday, May 16
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/11.gif?12122006
Few Showers
56°
32°
30%

Sunday, May 17
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/34.gif?12122006
Mostly Sunny
63°
36°
10%

Jon S
05-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I will have a 4 man, loaned my 8 to Cleve for his river trip, depending on the weather, I might sleep outside 'neath the stars, always love doing that, didn't sleep inside last year, it was great.

On the weather, should be nice all weekend, but forecast is days out still, looks like chance of t-showers Friday night, but that could change, love the temps on the below outlook.
See you all Fri night
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Jefferson&state=CO&site=BOU&textField1=39.38&textField2=-105.8&e=0

Randy
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys...looks like lots of options. I'll leave the para home this trip and find lodging when we get there. See ya in a few days!

Huntsman22
05-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Randy, I'm deeply hurt that you didn't take me up on my most generous offer. You afraid of kicking over the snake jars if'n ya gotta get up in the middle of the night? We can let the slithering critters stay in the big house, where the fire (and late night conversation)will always keep them warm enuff to stay active. They tend to get kinda sluggish in my cold, lonely camp.........

singleshot
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Someone bring some 12 ga shells and we can use Don's
own Mossberg to solve this snake problem.

Sawtooth
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Someone bring some 12 ga shells and we can use Don's
own Mossberg to solve this snake problem.

Covered. They'll be turkey loads. :D

Kmassaro
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Bushcraft, I generally figure that the towns are 10 degrees or so warmer than the mountain environments. You're a little higher than the towns, and there's nothing to stop the wind.

And you frequently get an afternoon rain storm for a half hour or so.

Timberline
05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Weather?

It's spring. It's the Colorado Rockies. It's 10,00 feet.

Bring suntan lotion AND a snow shovel. You might need either or both. Do bring warm wear for the evenings.

Sawtooth
05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Back on May 5, 1998, when we lived at 9,000' we got 40" of wet snow!

tendeerfeet
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
South park Colorado is a amazing place in any time of year. The fact that we can camp in this place is good..

CCH
05-14-2009, 08:43 AM
By the way, I'll have a bunch of turkey stew that should at least serve as an appetizer Friday night for a few people. If anyone has an extra pot (good sized), that would help cook more at once. Since they are unlikely to fly with much stew, Northwest guys have first dibs -- that may or may not be a privilege depending on how the stew turns out. Make sure you have spoons and bowls. I'll take requests on seasonings if anyone has any special preferences that happen to coincide with what is in my cupboard. It may be heavier on barley than turkey. ;)

flamingo 7
05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
CCH,

I'll bring an extra pot.

Bushcraft
05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks! I'll certainly take you up on that offer CCH!

I wish this plane would hurry up and get about its business of carrying me (us) in a southeasterly direction.

I'd liken the anticipation to having to wait for Christmas to get here!

Kmassaro
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Bushcraft, I'll be there Friday evening, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding tipi space before then.

I'll bring some single malt, but I'm sure nobody else will drink it.

Sawtooth
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I'll bring some single malt, but I'm sure nobody else will drink it.

Right.... :p

CCH
05-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm bringing up some of... ahem... Colorado's finest, but with all of our refined drinkers, I doubt I'll have to share. ;) However, the loaner cooler comes with a starter kit to wet your whistle before the good stuff gets there. Just enough to clear the dust off so you can appreciate the finer things life... and Kevin, have to offer.