PDA

View Full Version : Military Duffel Received: Mini Review

SF
08-18-2003, 12:47 PM
First I would like to thank everyone at Kifaru for being able to get it to me before my fly date.

I went and got the Kifaru Military Duffel in Medium. First thing I have to say. What the heck happened to the color?!? The website shows this nice coyote color (tanish). I got this darkish brown color. What happened?

Other then that everything looks good. I did notice about 80-90% of the bag is single stiched. I understand it is a duffel and would probally never have to endure the stress a ruck or vest would have to take, but doubling it up would have probally been nicer.

Other then that I will give a longer review after my trip.

Thanks

SF

Patrick
08-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi SF

The lighter color in the catalog was supposed to be "the" coyote brown, according to our supplier. Lo and behold, when we ran out of that fabric and went to order more the only thing we could acquire was the "new" coyote brown. It seems coyote brown is evolving. In fact, it doesn't have a pantone # yet. In short, we have to use what we can purchase. Hence your duffel is built of the "latest" tone.
Your duffel is double stitched, as the binding tape seam is the second row of stitching. Also, the thread that we use is a mil spec tex 90, which is considerably heavier than what anybody else uses. So, consider it actually tougher than the usual ruck or vest, which in fact it is. Bon Voyage!

SF
08-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Understood. It might be a good idea to update the site with how the "new" coyote brown looks since as you said you ran out of it and can't get more.

Thanks!

SF

Patrick
08-19-2003, 07:24 AM
SF--

Mel and Maggie will work on that. Your duffel was the first item built in the new brown, as we just started constructing duffels, and were out of the old brown from the get-go on them. All the packs in the pipeline are old brown. It will be perhaps two or three months before any packs will come out of the chute in the new shade.

We'll be happy campers here at Kifaru when the Pantone designation is finally set for CB. All of us gear producers are in the same boat though. And you users too. But just think of the upside. In the years ahead you early Coyote Brown guys can point to pieces of gear and say: "that piece there was from the summer of '03 Kifaru production. Yep, it's vintage gear alright. A collector's item." Know what I mean? Dang stuff may be worth more in the future!

eggroll
08-19-2003, 09:45 AM
ALL

After checking out the new MUTT color - IMO it is a better option for coloration rather than the yellowish brown tan. I dont know about you, but colorations can change for example my Scout and EMR are more of a paraclete smoke green than the darker green of current Kifaru military packs.

Even my Marauder is a different shade of green from the EMR and scout.

All told, if it were found that the single line stitch was insufficient for load bearing purposes, that would have been rectified during design, Patrick wouldnt put out a product that could not take punishment.

fwiw
egg

snowdevil
08-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Good morning - we've posted color swatches of both Coyote Browns - just follow the link below. The lighter color actually has a slight green tinge to it than may show up here. Please keep in mind that everybody's monitor is calibrated a bit differently, but this should get you in the ballpark.
If you'd like EXACT color, just let us know and we can put some fabric swatches into snail mail for you.
Maggie.

coyote brown swatches (http://www.kifaru.net/MG_cbswatch.htm)

PS - eggroll - are you a Python fan, or dare I taunt you???

SF
08-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Well the duffel worked great. Held all my stuff with room for more. I would definitly recommend it.

However, one thing I found that buged me was how the shoulder strap would fall down the side and eventually under the pack. Several times, I would set it down, then just pick it up by the carry handles a short distance and the shoulder strap would flip under every time and was usually a bitch to get back up with a full load, moving, and carrying other bags. Maybe add some velcro between the bag and the parts where the straps are sewn into the bag? That would keep it up and the straps from flipping under.

I'll post a pic of it when I can.

Thanks,

SF