PDA

View Full Version : Why delete your price?

BigSky
04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Most of you know I'm not a rabblerouser. But, I need to air a beef that really bothers me for some reason. Why is it when some posters sell an item they feel the need to replace their asking price with "sold" or to delete it completely? Now hear me out. I don't mean that you shouldn't notify others that it's sold. I don't mean that you and the buyer need to disclose to the whole world the deal you reached. That's nobody's business but your own. However, when I have an item I wish to buy or sell, I like to check "like" forums for "like" merchandise to get an idea of market prices.

In my opinion, do your fellow outdoorsman/board members/like-minded individuals a favor and let them see at least what the market is doing. What can it hurt? Like I said, the deal you reached is nobody's business. However, your asking price can certainly help others (both buyers and sellers) in dealing in the market with their own merchandise/items.

I'm not saying this must be done. I just think it's curtious and helpful.

Pardner
04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Just taking a guess but I believe the practice of deleting prices was driven by the forum owners -- many trading forums are connected to online stores who do not want to have a record of what their current products are selling for (or the price pattern) in the secondary market -- this could harm their own pricing strategy.

Also as a sometime seller in these forums, I like the practice of removing the sale price because I am more able to ask a higher (but deserved) price without having to worry about others who were more willing to make a big price cut for a quick sale because of an upcoming move or to pay an unexpected expense.

CCH
04-01-2009, 07:56 PM
From what I've seen this forum owner makes no requirement on removing price when goods are sold so whether that is done or not, it has nothing to do with Kifaru. That's up to the seller. I don't think Kifaru has anything to lose with the effects of their "secondary market". Besides, after a certain point you can't edit the original post with price any way.

Mardayo
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I know some other forums that forbid the removal of the asking price once a sale has been made. I think its a good idea, I like to see what the market is doing for buying and selling. Good point BigSky.

savage
04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
It's common practice on the bladeforums exchange section, particularly on high demand items (busse knives for example). I believe the reason is to prevent just the thing you are trying to accomplish - researching on past asking prices. That way if a price is posted that seems high buyers are less likely to grind you on the price because of what the last one on the sold for. It's frustrating to me as well, but looking at it as the seller of an high demand item it makes perfect sense - particularly if you have multiples of the same item that you plan on reselling several over time with price increases on each sale.

BiggerStick47
04-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Another reason to leave the price is that it is a record of the original ad. I have sold things before, and received money orders (and even paypal orders) less than my asking price. I never remove the price, so I just refuse to send the item until the balance is paid. I have seen arguements on other sites where the original price had been removed and there was no proof of the asking price, and the buyer sent less and then claimed the seller up'ed his price after the sale.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
As an appraiser, I sure like being able to do some research on sold items.

Agreed Big Sky, total pet peev of mine.

Bodydropper
04-03-2009, 04:01 AM
I agree with not editing the price. I am not a big haggler on either end, especially dealing with another individual. If I post an ad for something, I try to do it at the fair price, or even under the going rate. And hate it when people try to lowball me, "here one sold for 50 bucks under your asking price last week", "Well, you should have bought that one". So to me that arguement carries no weight. However, I also like to shop the going rates. Often weeks before I plan to purchase an item, and like to be informed. I also get friends that ask me if I know how much an item may cost, say a hunting rifle, I like to be able to look around and get them a ballpark figure. And I have seen on sites where it is stated clearly in the TOS, and reminded throughout the board not to delete or modify the selling price, and people do it anyways. I think it sucks, and in truth probably drives the prices up, due to greedy people saying, Oh I remember he sold that MMR in less then an hour at 450 last week, so I will put this one up for 500 and someone will bite on it. But if people know that the going rate is 450, and soemone lists it at 500, they can wait it out till he does a price drop.

CCH
04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Isn't the going rate what someone is willing to pay for it? Maybe we should come up with a chart of used prices for the past year or quarter and make everyone price things accordingly so that prices are "fair".

Some people price things for a quick sale needing the money immediately, is that the going rate kind of like what foreclosures are doing to the house market? Some people don't care whether they sell it or not and price it at top dollar and still might sell it to someone who doesn't feel like waiting to get it (Kifaru gear generally). Most of us are somewhere in between. Seeing what something went for last week doesn't mean a heck of a lot to me. Just because someone else snagged a bargain doesn't mean I can expect to get it for the same price when something similar gets posted again. These are all individual sales and frankly you don't know what it went for regardless of the posted price as most haggling is done in PMs.

For that matter I get confirmation of price in a PM or email when either buying or selling so that is my record. If I can do it in time, I delete my original post, not to hide anything but to cut down on the clutter on the forum that Kifaru hosts and maintains.

If you see something you want and the price is what you're willing to pay, buy it. If it's more than you're willing to pay, make a reasonable offer or don't buy it.

I just can't see how the selling and buying of used hunting gear is something to get worked up about. These are recreational purchases on a free forum. I think the Trading Post is intended to help us out in moving and getting gear, not as a running record of the used gear market. If you want to be able to track history, do business on ebay.

duckear
04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
I think the ad should be left in its entirety.

EE at AR15.com prohibits deleting the asking price.

It is nice to know what the market price is for a given item.

Blackfoot
04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Bigsky, Why change the selling price to sold? Because it's one of the fastest way to find out that the product is no longer for sale.

When you look at a sale ad. You look for a product name to determine what is being sold. If the item is something you need or want, you continue. You then look for a price. Then a description to determine the condition of the product. With this information you then decided if the sale is reasonable and whether you should purchase the item. You do that by knowledge of the companies MSRP, the quality of the product in general, how much you need the product and current condition of the product.

It's rather annoying to find exactly what you want/need, have money on hand for it and then see a tiny *SPF* hiding in black text under a huge picture and two space in front of a signature line. Because I just wasted my time. On the other hand, If I pull up an ad and see a red "Sold" I move on and keep looking. Same reason a person edits the first post instead of sending it from page 9 to page 1 just to say it's been sold. Same message is conveyed you just don't annoy anyone in the process.

Another thing, I wouldn't compare this website to another unless you are ready to pay the operating bill. I'd say that sort of behavior is rude. Complain enough about something free and it will be taken away just as easily as it was given to you.

I don't see any threads posted in the Trading Post or anywhere in the forum about rules and regulations. I would take pride in that fact that we are all honest polite folks here. Everybody should do their part to keep it that way also.

-Blackfoot

BigSky
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Blackfoot, obviously you failed either to read my entire post or to comprehend it. Every issue you brought up, I provided an easy remedy that would not require deleting the "asking" price. Don't presume to think I have ever told Kifaru and/or Patrick how to run this forum. Hell, I even addressed that in my original post knowing somebody would make false assumptions about my intent or my motives. Wow, it happened anyway.

Mardayo
04-03-2009, 08:31 PM
The big red sold is a good idea but leave the price.

brianakee
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Better yet, close the thread. On a few of the other forums I frequent (one in particular uses this same web forum application), the administrators allow the person who opened the thread to close it. This way when you are browsing the list of messages you can see the little locked/closed icon.

Something else to consider is that in some cases the asking price does not necessarily represent the actual sales price.

Anyway, I agree with your line of thinking on this.

Blackfoot
04-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Master Sergeant BigSky,
Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer, I shall be so right now. The last two paragraphs of my previous post were not directed solely to you, nor just to members that have participated in this particular thread. These sort of topics come and go, I felt it was worth reminding anyone reading this discussion that Patrick not only lets us do this (Selling/Buying/Trading absolutely anything legal) for free but has provide this whole area to us. Let's not make a mess in a home we are guest in. Else we will find ourselves unwelcome where we wish to be.

We are obviously of opposite opinions, I think, because I have failed to see your remedy's to the issues I addressed in your original post.

I will disregard your insults, cursing and sarcasm towards me and simply withdraw from this conversation. I see that as the best way to keep this a polite conversation. Thank you for the conversation.
Good Day.

For anyone else interested.

I keep the for sale ad exactly as it's posted the first time. Only to edit to add pictures at the bottom, a change in price, and *SPF* to the top of the article. That changes to *Sold* when the item has reached the buyer.

I'll say this again, as I feel it's worth repeating.

I don't see any threads posted in the Trading Post or anywhere in the forum about rules and regulations. I would take pride in that fact that we are all honest polite folks here. Everybody should do their part to keep it that way also.

-Blackfoot

BigSky
04-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Well, I feel compelled to respond. If by cursing you mean whereby I started a sentence with "hell", then yes, I cursed. I guess we have a difference of opinion as what constitutes cursing. I think your use of that term directed at me carries a more negative connotation than should be attributed to me by my actual usage. Having said that, this topic doesn't address anybody's honesty or lack thereof. I too will say good day to you. Let's keep things in context here. I never accused anybody of doing anything wrong in my posts. I never said anybody had to do it the way I suggested. Please don't put words in my mouth or attribute intent that is non-existent.

You are indeed correct about one thing, I failed to include "my remedy" in my original post even though I intended to do so. I stand corrected there. Placing the word "Sold", either in red, as you have done, or bold letters, strategically, would eliminate any question as to the status of the sale to all but the most obtuse individuals. I apologize for my assertion that I included this simplest of remedies. I was wrong in my subsequent post.