View Full Version : MYOG bug bivy for 2 in a paratipi
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
One of the reason i choosed the para tipi :)
the bug bivy seems small but thats because the paratipi interior dimensions are quite big :
the bug bivy is 2,20m x 1,65m ( head)->1m ( feet) hmax 1,20m
weight 345g + 4 x 1g stakes
our "usual groundsheet are 80g each so the added weight is only 189g for total bug protection
silnylon 1.1 floor
and nanoseeum from thru hiker
i just need to work now on tensionning a bit the top stich.
i dont plan to bring it all the time, as i prefer using the stove and not restricting the inside area of the para tipi.
but i think for exemple i will use it in greenland where small flies + mosquitoes can be a problem and i dont think i would have found enough wood for the stove.
the distance of ~2,20m between the 2 poles is ideal for this
03-23-2009, 11:12 AM
That looks pretty nice. Might be a good thing to have. Where did you get it?
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
sewed it last week end,
tension of the top stich is now fixed and it looks much better, i will post another photo when i am done adjusting it.
didnt found a commercial bug bivy for 2 that fit in the paratipi thats why i sewed one,
was a way to keep it as light as possible.
03-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Nice job Alan49. Would like to see it when you do your final adjustments. So keep us posted.
I would like to ask where you got the material for your bivy. I might have to talk someone in my family into sewing one up as I would like to get the para tipi but cold is not as much an issue here as bugs, ticks, snakes, etc. can be.
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
i bought the fabric from thruhiker :
03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the site! Looks like there is plenty of projects to be dreamed up there.
04-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I took the time to finish sewing it, and added ( 6g) a small upper tensionning system ( the yellow cord + cordlock )
2 full size artiach light pads inside to give the scale.
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
What kind of door do you have on it?
05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks again for posting. This looks great! Very nice job.
05-21-2009, 02:13 AM
sorry i didnt answer my private message earlier will post photos here to explain my answers asap today.
photo of the top extremities :
the liaison to the tensionning cord :
i use a linelock to adjust the tension :
the 4 lower corners staking ( it looks better that way, but didnt use this in Scotland my stakes were too shorts to reach the ground under the vegetation, and once we put our pads in staking isnt really needed.
05-21-2009, 06:33 AM
more photos :
the upper part of the "door"
the lower right part :
as you can see i did a mystake buying the 2 zippers, they are made to be operated from only one side of the "door", its usable that way but would have been better looking if i had thought of that before.
my sewing looks horrible :)
but i am too lazy to do it better as long as all the pieces hold together...
05-21-2009, 12:48 PM
just saw this linked on BPL :
its noseeum and not nanoseeum but otherwise the dimensions looks quite good for a paratipi.
the 7' is a bit much for the distance between the 2 poles but not that much.
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Alan for the continued follow up on your MYOG. Very nice job on the sewing by the way. You'll hear no complaints from me. I have trouble sewing buttons back on. Rib Eye
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.8 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.