PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Rondee

scothill
03-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Guys can you give me the definite dates for the Colorado Rondee. What is the closest airport and can you get to the rondee site in a rental car?

Sawtooth
03-23-2009, 05:10 AM
I'll put this out there, and let Patrick correct it if it's wrong...but I don't think it is...

May 23-24 (Sat/Sun) There's usually someone on-site as early as Thursday, and we normally pack the whole thing up and head out mid-day Sunday. The two closest airports are DIA and Colorado Springs. They're about the same distance away...maybe 95 miles from DIA and about 110 from Colorado Springs.

Since the inaugural in 2004, we haven't had weather that kept 2WD vehicles from driving right up to the site. Barring something unexpected, I would guess that it'll be snow-free. It is now!

ozarkrambler
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Sawtooth, I think it is the 16th and 17th, the weekend before memorial day.

Scott, the drive from Co. Springs is quite a bit prettier in my opinion. It seems to take me about the same amount of time either way.

What day would you be arriving? I'll be showing up thursday morning and I might be able to pick you up if you want. I'd be leaving Sunday mid morning though. I could do either Denver or the Springs.

scothill
03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree the drive from the Springs is a lot prettier. I think I know the exact area just based on pictures as Evan and I used to spend a lot of time in that area when we lived in the Springs. I just wanted to make sure that one airport was not closer then the other. As to arrival time, I haven't even looked at flights yet, but I am betting I would get in sometime friday and try to leave out early in the morning on Sunday. I appreciate the offer of a ride and will let you know. I would have one request if I do fly into the Springs and that is we swing by the firearms Mecca that is Specialty Sports.

I am working on getting Evan to come as well.

Plus I need the exact dates first as there seems to be some disagreement.

Sawtooth
03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
ozark,

Right you are...May 16-17. Memorial Day falls early this year. I think this is th earliest we've had it.

Jon S
03-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Scothill,
I am in Denver and headed up Friday afternoon after school, will return Sunday
Give me a holler if you need an address to ship things to to avoid being charged overages by the airlines.
Hope to see you and some of your NWern friends and ways.

I think I have my buddy that came up last year prepared to bring some bluegrass pickin' friends. I have told them we will make sure they are fed and properly sauced. Their group tends to pick great music, pick it fast, sing it loud and generally have a grand ole time.
Any thoughts from the members on their attendance, would love to tell them what to prepare for, everytime I have hung out with 'em, they tend to start pickin' real good around 1 a.m.

Is that too late for the # of kids that abound this rondee?

Give honest feedback and let me know whether or not to invite them and I will do whatever the group decides.

I personally would love to have some stomping going on in one tipi with conversations in the other, Patrick led me to believe there would be at least two 16 mans and possibly a bigger one.

Sawtooth
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Jon,

I usually put my clan to bed around 10:00 PM. Since it would be acoustic, I don't think it would be all that loud. The rondy site is good sized, so folks could camp away from the "big top" if they want to. I think good music is about the only thing missing!

Timberline
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I would add to this open discussion that two years ago we had a group of younger people who decided that an overly loud boom box, arguments and questionable language were just the thing at about 1 AM in an otherwise retiring camp. That caused a wee bit of unnecessary friction.

Good music sounds good – as does good tipi conversation - but there is a consideration limit somewhere. I wonder where that is for our entire group.

And please don’t take this as anti-music. It’s not. How about a dinner-time jam session on Saturday evening? Good food and good music go very well together.

Remember that the rifle shooting typically starts shortly after dawn. At least that’s when Huntsman22 is typically is up and urging the rest of us to try his .204 on the 500-yard gong. It’s surely a matter of perspective and intent, but overly late nights can be tough on early mornings.

Just my serious 2 cents worth...

Sawtooth
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Some us do BOTH late nights AND early mornings. But some of those late-night conversations have been the best ones to be had. [yawn] :D I certainly wouldn't want to sacrifice good fellowship the next morning by keeping everyone up with moonlight tunes the night before. In-camp music seems to be a tradition at the ECR...I wonder how it works out for them? Music around supper time, and then yarns and the usual stoveside chats for later on when those who choose are in bed?

Smokepole
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Everybody needs to be in bed and asleep by 2100 hrs., no exceptions.

Jon S
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
For Smoke's old man sake: I am asking permission to stay up late with the other adults until at least 9:30, please dad!!! I promise I won't be grumpy tomorrow and will do all my chores in the morning.

Keep the feedback coming, haven't invited them yet, need to have a plan to present before I do.

Any ECR folks reading this and want to chime in on how it works back east

Bushcraft
03-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Just tell them if they play too late or too loud that the group will use their instruments as targets the following morning. The most egregious offender's instrument will be placed front and center of the kiddo range.

Ken
03-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I've seen 4 AM a time or two on Thursday night at the ECR...and it has been rumoured that there has been a late Sat. night or two as well. :D

Bushcraft
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I recall KevinB, myself and perhaps one or more straglers throwing one last log on the fire around the 3:30AM mark after working hard at solving all the world's problems.

That was during the now infamous Bushwack This! NW Summer Rondy 2006.

I think a toast may have been raised to our solution set and fine problem solving skills, but I don't remember.

Sawtooth
03-24-2009, 10:01 PM
The normal turn-in time for Patrick and I is around 3:00 AM or so. At least it only comes around once a year! :D

...but we aren't hootin and hollerin...calling each other names, playing boom boxes and arguing...at least not that I remember...

Smokepole
03-24-2009, 11:11 PM
...but we aren't hootin and hollerin...calling each other names, playing boom boxes and arguing...at least not that I remember...

Man, you must be gettin' old, your memory is shot.

Jon S., just kidding!!! I say, bring 'em on. Good pickin' is good for the soul. Anybody who stays up too late will just have to answer to the "range rats" who as someone pointed out, like to get their shooting in before the wind gets started, which means by 8:00 AM or so, and after all, shootin' is king at this shindig. Besides, with the quality of folks who inhabit the space/time, I just don't see inconsideration-ality, as don would say, as a problem.

CCH
03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
All for the band, particularly earlier in the evening, not for boomboxes. Late night debates are part of the tradition and have been since the first Rendezvous. I'd be more worried about late night music interfering with the conversation than keeping the kids up but I'm certain we can make it all fit in. I had to depart early in the evening last year due to the kids and was sorry to go. Jon's friend left a bunch of PBR for everyone last year before taking off early so I believe he's "paid his dues". ;)

However if we get some maudlin, syrupy pseudo-Simon & Garfunkel stuff going on, somebody is likely to go Jim Belushi. :D

Smokepole
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
That was John, not Jim.

CCH
03-25-2009, 02:51 PM
BIG typo. The only thing those brothers share is a last name... at least talent wise.

OpsBulldog
03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Is there any good flyfishing anywhere near by?

Sawtooth
03-25-2009, 10:27 PM
A lot of the good creeks are blown out with spring runoff, and the high lakes are still iced over. The South Platte is quite a ways away. It's a good time of the year for shooting and camping! :D

Michael & Tanner
03-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Just a note for those from the PNW who are heading down to the Co. Ronde.

I can't make those dates, but I *AM* heading down to La Veta, Co at the beginning of April. I'm driving down, and will have my camper on the back of my truck.

If you have gear that needs to be shipped down, I'll gladly transport it for you, as long as it isn't an overwhelming volume. I can't go too far out of the way, but my path should put me through Denver and Colorado Springs.

I'd be glad to help.

Michael

thewolverine
03-26-2009, 07:39 PM
This may be my first opportunity to attend. Me got no tipi, so do I just bring whatever tent and pitch close to where everyone will be set up. One thing I can offer is some exceptionally good Single malts in some flasks to help the campfire discussions. I even have some Stranahan's whiskey made in Colorado..which is not bad :)

CCH
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
You can set up whatever you want. There are several whiskey drinkers who will be glad to see you.

Smokepole
03-26-2009, 09:37 PM
One thing I can offer is some exceptionally good Single malts in some flasks to help the campfire discussions.

I'll have a tipi set up, any man who brings exceptionally good single malts is welcome to bunk with me. Of course, Patrick will have about 6 or 8 tipis set up for people to try out, but pay no attention to those......

KurtB
03-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Have enough single malts and it won't matter if you are sleeping under the stars....

Sawtooth
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
...until the next morning...:eek:

Ken
03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
...reminds me of ECR #1...flopping out under the stars with Patrick, belly full of beer, in the middle of the yard...lol...good humor....good memories....he was sleeping in a feather sack IIRC...

Sawtooth
03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Someone had better make sure the illustrious Mr. Hayes attends. I can't wait to hear the new yarns. I think I pulled a rib last time, laughing. :D