PDA

View Full Version : April knife show

snakey2
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Some of us have talked of getting together for the Oregon Knife Collectors Show in April so this is an official announcement. The show is April 18-19 (a Sat and Sun). This is a great show and one of the biggest in the US/world (if not the biggest) Anyone wanting to come and do some shooting (both the literal and the verbal) and take in the knife show is welcome to inhabit my ranch for the weekend. I will be down there to shoot a bit and will be making the short trip up to Eugene Saturday for the show. Knives, guns, eating, drinking and talking/bs all possible in one place. Let me know if anyone wants to attend the show as a group (you can always go by yourself but it seems kinda antisocial).

oldpinecricker
03-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Sounds interesting. I've been making knives for a short while and have thought about attending this show as it's about 10 hrs away. It would be interesting to learn and see what others are doing in the knife world.

The shooting thing sound pretty cool and I've shot a rifle a few times in the past.

Are there good locations around Eugene to set up an 12 man tipi?

I could set it up downtown in the park but I'm afraid that all the young hippies and homeless Starbuck's coffee drinkers would invade it and call squatter's rights and claim my 12 man.

evanhill
03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Snakey, sorry for the slow response. This sounds very promising!

scothill
03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I am probably in, but work is crazy right now so I will have to wait and let you know closer to the event.

Pinecricker,
Given the posh digs available at Snakey's I would say take him up on his offer and skip the tent.

snakey2
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Pinecricker I have 40 acres so finding a place to set up a tent (if that is what you want to do) should be easy. I do have a house there, which though short on furniture, is fine for flopping out pads, cots and bags. All other household amenities will be available (ie: stove hot water, fridge etc.). Come on by if you want, the show has lots to look at and a lot of different seminars/demos etc.. I think it cost about 5$ to get in (sometime there is a coupon for 1$ off at Bimart or in the Register Garbage). I will plan to some kind of moose meat thing one nite for dinner.

Bushcraft
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I'd sure like to get down there. I recently read "Crow Killer" (more or less historical accounting of Jerimiah Johnson) and I've been pining for a new fixed-blade lib-sticker in S30V.

Anybody know if the folks from Chris Reeves will be there? I'm looking for something like their Harsey designed Professional Soldier model with a slightly longer blade - to which I'll fasten my own scales.

snakey2
03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Bush I don't know for sure but one or both may be there. Harsey usually is but he bailed last year and I haven't gotten a chance to ask him if that will be a normal thing. I might stop by and see if he is going to come this year. I will try to get a show brochure as early as possible so I can let you know who might be on tap. There are a few people in the Harsey school there that might fit your needs (most will be considerably CHEAPER than Harsey who has gotten godawful expensive). I bought one of Bill's knives years ago (I was a guinea pig for a knife he wanted to try) and can't even touch one now without selling a car or 2.

SuperBadger
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Last year was such a great time. I'm pretty sure I can come again this year.

scothill
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Funny Crow Killer just reignites my want for good tomahawk. I have no clue what I would do with one but.....

snakey2
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
You would probably see a tomahawk or 2 at the show. Two years ago on Sun late I got a good deal on a Granfors maul and wished I had more money as the guy didn't want to leave the show with his inventory.

medic16
03-13-2009, 01:57 PM
The knife show sounds interesting. I am about 6 hours away. Might have to check to see if I can attend.

snakey2
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I have plenty of room and the show is just a short drive away so come if you can.

Jason
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM
FYI, I emailed Emerson Knives Inc to inquire if they would be attending the show. They responded that they would not this year. I realize that this won't change anyone's plans, but thought it might be good to know anyway.

scothill
03-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Hopefully it won't change your plans to attend.

Jason
03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
My wife and I are in negotiations right now regarding that weekend. I'd love to hit the show and meet new faces, but I still can't say for certain which side of the state I'll be on. Hopefully I'll know soon.

I was wishing Ernie would be there so I could wrap my mitts around each model he sells, and form some opinions in a cheaper manner than ordering knives sight unseen.

evanhill
03-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I wonder if there might be other vendors there likely to have the whole Emerson line? Snakey?

oldpinecricker
03-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Speaking of the Crow Killer Era, I just forged out an Hudson's Bay camp knife the other day and it will be my dad's birthday present. These were common hard use knives in the 1820's. They are WAY ahead of their time as they were the hard use knife back in the day. Heck, they are still my favorite blade style.

Bushcraft
03-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Pictures!!! Pictures!!! Pictures!!!

oldpinecricker
03-23-2009, 04:56 AM
In the spirit of the upcoming knife show here is an Bushcrafter.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__I1PFZY3pfM/ScVjVXOCskI/AAAAAAAAAAk/Lr2nRmqKCWo/s1600-h/bushcrafterandsheath_c_1024.jpg

This was built to my specs by my mentor Bob Alderman of Tracker's Forge. Bushcrafters are my favorite small blade.

I'll be taking some pics of my Hudson Bay when the furniture is all finished on it.

Jason
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks. I like that knife a LOT. I bookmarked his website.

snakey2
03-23-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't know yet who will be there and I loose track of all of the custom makers that come through. You may not see your favorite guy there but might generate a new favorite from all of the other exhibitors. Just plain lots and lots of "things that cut".

Jason
03-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Looks like I'm good to go. We're heading west that weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting more of the K-family, and of course, fondling a few blades.

evanhill
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Looking more favorable for me as well. Wasn't sure based on an upcoming hernia surgery scheduled for the 9th, but I got that done last week and I'm rapidly on the mend.

snakey2
03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Glad your got your hernia thing out of the way, not fun! It sounds as if a few will show so I will get things ready. Let me know when you plan on arriving.

Jason
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Great news on both counts. Hope to see you there.

TwoRavens
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm 95% sure I can make it. I have some family issues that may complicate things...

I'll bring a couple of new boom sticks too.

snakey2
04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I know Two Ravens is planning on coming (family commitments permitting) is anybody else going to come this weekend? I will provide a moose meat dinner for one (or both if enough folks come to make it worthwhile) night (probably burgers) but I will need some kind of a head count to have enough meat on hand. I now have the show news letter if anyone wants to know who, specifically, is going to be there and other info. 430 tables this year. Wayne Goddard is doing a workshop on steel and forging and there will be a lot of carving and flint knapping demos. Let me know.

scothill
04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Evan and I will be there we are just working out the timing specifics. At this point it looks like getting there friday evening and leaving mid-morning Sunday.

scothill
04-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Evan and I will arrive Friday night at 630-7 at the earliest and then roll out on Sunday at about 9 am.

Bushcraft
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Snakey,

I'm looking at a hefty laundry list of to-do's. I'd love to make it down, but I'll have to call the ball late in the week.

Allen

SuperBadger
04-14-2009, 01:25 AM
I was hoping I could make it, but unfortunately I'll be filming on Saturday.

Hope everyone has a good time- I look forward to copious amounts of photos and reports!

Buck W
04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I might be able to round trip it for a day.

snakey2
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I will miss those who can't attend but am glad some will come to keep me company. It should be a good show. Anyone needing directions to my place can pm me and I can get you there. I will be there all day Fri (chasing the wily longbeards with Two Ravens) through the weekend (except when attending the show). Since it is not to far out of town we can deal with the food particulars (other than moose meat) when we gather. See you all there.

Jason
04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm coming down just for the day (Saturday), but plan to make a full day of it. I'll be coming from the Indep/Monmouth area, so let me know where I should land and when.

At this point I'm bringing two little wood stoves for folks to play with, and a few recent knife purchases. I'm trying to keep the bulk down since I'm traveling with a wife and two dogs, and don't own a real truck.

I'm heading west tomorrow, so I won't have computer access after that unless I visit the library.

snakey2
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Jason will you get a pm or e-mail in time?

evanhill
04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
That's if we can actually make it over the pass on Friday! It is snowing very healthily outside right now. If it keeps up at this rate for a few more hours, there will be 6" of fresh snow on the ground in the morning.

Jason
04-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Snakey, I sent you a PM.

snakey2
04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Jason sent you one back. I hope you get it in time.

snakey2
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I have one Sigg (or that type of water bottle) which was left with me after this weekends knife extravaganza. Anyone want to claim it? I had a great time with all of the attendees and the show was great as usual (even if I didn't have the funds for a purchase). We should have left more time for the show but shooting, eating and gabbing got in the way. Anyway it was all fun. Seems we had our share of knives without the show. Thanks for all who came and contributed their time, ammo and food.

Jason
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I think that might be Allen's Sigg.

I had a great time too Snakey. Thanks a lot for hosting us at your wonderful mountain retreat, and for grilling up those tasty moose burgers. I'm looking forward to the Summer Rondy now.

evanhill
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for having us all over. It's always great to spend some time in the little slice of heaven you've created!

I'll claim the water bottle, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Allen's.

Bushcraft
04-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Yep, that'd be mine. I remembered having left it about the time I passed through Salem. I'll remind you to bring it to the Summer Rondy in a few months unless you want to drop it in the mail. Either way, I'd appreciate getting it back.

Thanks again for everything Snakey. In as much as I didn't get to all the tables at the knife show, I'm just fine with where I stopped looking.

The moose burgers were absolutely fantastic, but those that left early missed one helluva barbequed yard-bird feast up at Snakey's fantastic mountain retreat.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/DSC04908.jpg

And TwoRavens, this is what a turkey looks like. ;)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/DSC04914.jpg

snakey2
04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice photos Bush. PM me your info and I will get it up to you since you will probably need it before the ronde.

TwoRavens
04-22-2009, 01:42 PM
And TwoRavens, this is what a turkey looks like. ;)

It wasn't seeing the little frakers that was the problem... it was convincing them to come withing range. :o

Many thanks to Snakey, an excellent host as always.