PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Oregon Summer Rondy 2009

medic16
01-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I wanted to see if there is any interest in doing a summer Rondy out in eastern Oregon. It will probably be in the Eagle Cap Wilderness area. Not sure on the exact spot yet. Also, dates need to be determined. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed C
01-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Why don't you just attend the GREAT PACIFIC NOTHWEST RONDY?
Held the last weekend of July.
Contact Bushcraft aka [Goatman] for details.

SuperBadger
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
I've been wanting to get over to the eagle caps for a long time. Heck, I'd like to get over there this summer whether the Rondy is held there or not!

scothill
01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Actually Ed, Bushcraft was talking about an Eagle Caps location for the GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST RONDY this year at the winter rondy. I for one am up for it. Medic why don't you get with Bushcraft via pm and maybe get some input from Jason and see what you guys can figure out.

TwoRavens
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Sounds good to me.

Bushcraft
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
The 2009 NW Summer Rondy is going to be held at Neah Bay.

evanhill
01-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Aren't there some indigenous types who wouldn't take too kindly to that?

Bushcraft
01-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Kindly schmindly.

evanhill
01-26-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.northolympic.com/capeflatterytrail/

In all seriousness, Patrick did opine that the kind of stuff most of us out here try to get away from (heavy timber, dark wet woods, mist shrouded peaks) would be a welcome novelty for him some Rendezvous. It must be tough to come from the land of sun dappled aspen glades and abundant elk! Something in the Olys would be kind of cool, and would give me a good reason to bring my sasquatch rifle.

On the other hand, a good reason to get out to the Eagle Caps wouldn't hurt my feelings either. I don't see a problem with three NW Rondys in a year, other than the fact that that might well set off the wife's BS detector.

Bushcraft
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I get the appeal for an Eagle Cap rondy. But I think our headcount would drop precipitously if we did so. I'd love to get down to the Eagle Caps this summer for a 3-4 day high-mileage scouting/fishing rip through some highcountry that beckons me, especially so since I just heard something mighty interesting. ONP is interesting, but it can take considerably more effort to get up and out of the rain-forest bottoms than moms and kids might appreciate. Plus, alternative modes of transportation are out (I am speaking of bikes and goats).

Besides, how do you improve on "Practically Perfect"? I don't know...but of course you know I'll try. Last year's locale is great, but I really want to find a place like it that is equally family friendly, but also one where we can do some long-range shooting without disrupting camp harmony or any natives that might be in the area.

Jason
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm up for planning and scouting a second, drier rondy in the Eagle Caps this summer if that's what folks want. Just need to know a rough estimate of how many might attend and how far they want to hike in.

I want to attend Bushcraft'sOfficial Rondy for sure, but a second trip could make the most of a beautiful summer and maybe entice a few folks from farther east.

I PM'd Medic yesterday when I realized that we live only 45miles apart and have never met.

evanhill
01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
i'm up for planning and scouting a second, drier rondy in the eagle caps this summer if that's what folks want...
I want to attend bushcraft'sofficial rondy for sure, but a second trip could make the most of a beautiful summer and maybe entice a few folks from farther east.

+1

besides, how do you improve on "practically perfect"? I don't know...

+1

Jason
01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Great. I'll get together with Medic and well put our heads together on a suitable Eagle Caps destination. As I recently learned from my first Rondy, a small group can be a lot of fun.

I'm still looking forward to the big perfect one out west also. :)

SuperBadger
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
You could count me in on attending an Eagle Caps rondy. And of course, the "big one" too.

scothill
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
any interest in a shooting/knife show rondy hosted by Snakey like last year?

medic16
01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
I hope I haven't stepped on any toes by creating this thread. I was not aware that a Rondy was already starting to take shape that would possibly be taking place in the Eagle Caps. I should have read the other thread first before starting this one. If we can combine the two that would be great or if people want two seperate Rondys that could work as well.

I am open to suggestions. I am new at this so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brad

TwoRavens
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
any interest in a shooting/knife show rondy hosted by Snakey like last year?
Yes, I'm interested.

Ed C
01-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Neah Bay is a great idea. Salmon fishing or hike into Shi Shi beach for a couple days. Or if you like you can walk around the town of Neah Bay and shop for appliances and cars.

Eagle Cap is a great idea. ADVENTURE new territory for me!

The 2006 BUSHWHACK THIS site is a good idea.

The 2007 CARNIVORE FEST site is a good idea.

The 2008 PRACTICALLY PERFECT site is a good idea.
[I can get a motorized vehicle into that one:)]

How bout this place?
Or we could get sideways!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/doright_2006/IMG_0781.jpg

Bushcraft
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Ed,

You forgot the 2005 REVENGE OF THE CHARGING PITBULLS AND NOCTURNAL ADOLESCENT METH-HEADS site. It was, I believe,...THE definitive reason why we decided to hold all such future events well off the beaten path.

Personally, I'm most interested in BUSHWACKING THIS! into a PRACTICALLY PERFECT! CARNIVORE FEST! site....that way there is something for everyone.

Nice looking spot BTW.

Allen

Ed C
01-26-2009, 09:03 PM
BUSHWACKING THIS! into a PRACTICALLY PERFECT! CARNIVORE FEST!

OK it is settled then that's what we will do.

I do have one other idea.
We could as scot suggested have it at snakey's place.
He has plenty of whiskey. He could cook and clean up for us!
All we have to do is show up drink his whiskey and eat his food.
We could probably shoot some of his ammo also. Since he won't have time. He will be too busy cooking, cleaning, and driving us to various fishing holes! I think it has possibilites.:cool:

evanhill
01-27-2009, 07:28 AM
We could as scot suggested have it at snakey's place.
He has plenty of whiskey. He could cook and clean up for us!
All we have to do is show up drink his whiskey and eat his food.

Ed, don't let the cat out of the bag. Snakey's legendary hospitality is supposed to remain a secret!

disillusionedpatriot
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
The 2009 NW Summer Rondy is going to be held at Neah Bay.

Should make it Ilwaco during salmon season instead. I think the fishing out at the mouth of Columbia is better.

disillusionedpatriot
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I hope I haven't stepped on any toes by creating this thread. I was not aware that a Rondy was already starting to take shape that would possibly be taking place in the Eagle Caps. I should have read the other thread first before starting this one. If we can combine the two that would be great or if people want two seperate Rondys that could work as well.

The Eagle Cap location sounds like a good change to me. I'll have to look where it is.

snakey2
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I am ready to attend any and all rendezvous (what is the plural?) as long as they fit into my on call schedule. Eagle Cap would be great. I know the Minam side pretty well , long way in though. The Oregon Knife Collectors show is April 18 and 19. You are all welcome to come, drink my whiskey but clean-up after yourselves. It is a great knife show (at least the biggest east of the Mississippi if not in the US). If people want to come and shoot and attend the show then I am all for it (I can actually do that and be on call at the same time). We can eat moose and call turkeys too.The more gatherings there are the better my chances of hitting ones I can go to and the more I get out and see you folks the better my life is. I liked the site for the main rondi last year cause my daughter really wants to come and since she is such a light weight the easier the better.

SuperBadger
01-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I would love to come down for the knife show/steel plinking in April

Randy
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
The Eagle Cap is great, but no place for the aforementioned lightweights. Lots of access possibilities...Minam side, Lostine, Wallowa Lake Trailhead (interesting possibility would be to take the gondola to the top of the ridge then head out from there with all the elevation gained in a short, but to me, terrifying ride up a surplus ski lift:)) I may be able to get access to off-road parking at Camp Wallowa if that's the entry you are thinking about.

Ice Lake has huge fish, a cool island and for those inclined a short, steep run up the Matterhorn.

The boys at the pack station may be able to ferry some gear in for those needing or wanting that service.

Rumor in the William O is that the road to Deep Creek will be repaired in 2010, so if we wanted another full-on family-friendly site this summer may be the last time that is available to us. Something about the horsey folks complaining that they actually have to ride further to get to the mountains???

Sounds like a great adventure to me!

Ed C
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Let's go get some of them huge fish!!!

Jason
01-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Yes, Ice Lake does sound fun, and is on my list for this summer, Rondy or not.

Description:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/trails-ec/1808_ice_lake_127.shtml

Panoramas:
http://www.josephoregon.com/panofiles/java_panos/ice_lake_pano.htm
http://www.josephoregon.com/panofiles/java_panos/ice_lake_pano2.htm

SuperBadger
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I'll be done with school in March, so my guess is I'll have some free time for awhile and will be able to attend both a big family rondy, and an Eastern Oregon outing. The William O site was just excellent, and I'd love to go back.

Jason,

That looks excellent. I'd better start getting in shape!

Jason
01-30-2009, 11:09 AM
You've got plenty of time Patrick. I'm guessing that high country won't melt off until mid summer.

I'd love to see your photographs from up there.

Bushcraft
01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Superbadger,

Look around for a gym that has a VersaClimber and an absolutely merciless bastard of a workout partner willing and able to help you create large pools of sweat underneath this amazing machine. Don't be a short-stroker. Keep a bucket handy.

Stairs...steep ones...lots of them. Make this a daily, almost religiously adhered to activity. Find a place with a hand rail so that you won't eat it too bad if/when your legs get noodley.

Kettlebells for useful strength across a full range of motion. Awesome regime that can be done anywhere. Again, keep a bucket handy.

Speaking of which...I'd better start getting my significantly atrophied self back into shape. Desk jobs and the winter doldrums are evil.

Allen

evanhill
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
sounds like a great plan, Allen. Even better, get yourself a little DVD player to wear around your neck so you can watch nature scenes while you work out so you feel more like you are climbing a mountain while you pretend to climb a mountain :p

SuperBadger
01-30-2009, 03:31 PM
sounds like a great plan, Allen. Even better, get yourself a little DVD player to wear around your neck so you can watch nature scenes while you work out so you feel more like you are climbing a mountain while you pretend to climb a mountain :p

That's my biggest problem with the gym. I think it actually boils down to what I'm doing at the gym. Swimming? No problem- I can jump in and swim laps for an hour but I can't stand the treadmill. I've never used kettle bells, but I know a lot of the PJ's at the base I worked at for awhile used them, so they must be good.

Not making excuses, I know I just need to suck it up get after it!

Jason
01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I used to hit the gym every day for 90min for almost four years straight. Getting to the gym IS the hardest part. Once you're there (and get past the first two weeks of hell) it's just a matter of discipline. I always found the workouts boring, but physically exhilarating. Then I got married and life changed drastically on several fronts.

I agree 100% that treadmills will bore you to tears, and I much prefer walking or hiking outside. I went on a fast hike on packed snow yesterday with my Beagle. I tried for a steady but intense treadmill pace to maximize my workout on a limited schedule. I went hard for 40min uphill, then turned around and took 35min back down. I really don't think I could have endured a 75min session on a treadmill, but had a superb time enjoying the fresh air and watching my pup dive into snow drifts.

I realize that I'm blessed to live where I do, and given that, I'd rather spend my money on outdoor gear and clothing than on monthly gym dues.

evanhill
01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I was mainly teasing Allen about living where he does.

Bottom line, you've gotta do what you've gotta do, regardless of where you live. It's also true that strength training will accomplish things that just hiking or biking or skiing will not.

Bushcraft
01-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah Evan, it really sucks having the choice of diving the Puget Sound in front of me or explore the rugged immensity of the Olympic's behind me or North Cascades across thw water...and have almost every other conceivable outdoor rec opportunity in between. ;)

I'm just not a big believer in gyms or spending an inordinate amount of time in them. Swimming will do zip for the backcountry wanderer. 20-25 minutes a day of balls-out exertion to failure (wind sprints or 3-miles at sub 6.5 minutes, kettle bells regime, stairs, etc.,...all pretty much free save for the extreme effort you put into it) is all a guy really needs to stay in remarkable shape IMHO. Maybe I lucked out in the genetic makeup department, but I believe that way too many people over train and burn out due to the erroneous time commitment and become frustrated with a lack of desired results. Then again, what I see most people doing in the gym is not what I consider working out, they appear to simply be going through the motions and not really exerting themselves...the need for a handy bucket is a foreign concept to them, and so too are the ultimate results they desire.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/ (http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/)

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/ (http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/)

Interesting study...
http://www.bodybuildingfanatic.com/coloradoexperiment.htm (http://www.bodybuildingfanatic.com/coloradoexperiment.htm)

snakey2
02-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Just remember when at the gym you can't work out and read a book at the same time. I see people plodding along and reading at the same time and they never break a sweat. I take my shirt off and ring it out when I'm done and there is no way I could read. My opinion is walking hills is the best way to get in shape for doing the same.

TwoRavens
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Interesting links Bushcraft.
Thanks,

medic16
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a possible site? I just got back from EMT/army medic training so I can now focus on looking for possible sites.

medic16
02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Here is a possible meeting place. I went by here the other day and looks like it should open any day now.

http://www.lagrandeobserver.com/News/Business/Brew-pub-opening-downtown

medic16
03-04-2009, 05:02 PM
I am still looking into possible spots for the rendezvous. I am looking into Lostine Canyon. There are several lakes up there to hike into and do some fishing. I am going to try and do a recon of the area to find a spot to hold the rendezvous. I will also try to snap some pics.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/recreation-map.shtml

If you find Lostine on the map. Lostine Canyon is just south of that. There is a gravel road that goes into the canyon and then from there you find a trail and hike into one of the several lakes in the area.

medic16
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Update: I just secured my park pass. I can have 3 other people on my park pass. Lostine Canyon is actually in thw Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. I plan to scout the area on Saturday, March 21. There will probaby be snow up there still but I will check it out.

SuperBadger
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey, thanks for the update and for putting in the work!

Corner2Corner
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Are there Kifaru Rendezvous in other areas? I'm planning a year long mule trip in the Rockies to where ever the mules feel like going. Will have to drop into a town every 2-3 months for staples. Might be fun to tour some Rendezvous events. There are several "trapper" oriented events in WY, CO etc. I'm finding th eKifaru crowd intersting and diverse so I'd like to make it to at least one of these.

evanhill
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
The grandaddy is in Colorado the weekend before memorial day. Look on other posts on the "rendezvous" section.

medic16 - lostine sounds good. Heck, anywhere in that part of the world looks good to me!

snakey2
03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Lostine country is very nice but all of that country is!!!!

medic16
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Here is a possible meeting place. I went by here the other day and looks like it should open any day now.

http://www.lagrandeobserver.com/News/Business/Brew-pub-opening-downtown

Well, the meeting place is finally open and will do a test of the refreshments to see if they are good. I will report my findings the next day.

evanhill
03-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Only interested if it is at least as good as Barley Brown's over in Baker!

medic16
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Barley Brown is pretty good. I especially like thier espresso stout. I am very picky on beer. I served 3 years in Germany and developed a fine appreciation for good beer. I tend to stick to Porters and Stouts. Not a huge IPA fan but that is what seems the most popular around here. Probably due to the hop fields close by in Yakima, WA. I will probably do a sampler and report back what they offer. They have a website but it is not up and running yet.

medic16
03-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Went to the Mt. Emily Ale House here in La Grande. Beer was disappointing. The Porter was not bad but thier English style ale was probably one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.
Looks like I will have to search for another meeting place.

snakey2
03-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Medic16 if you find a place with a good porter or stout I may have to make it to the meeting place early!!!! Sadly there are more places with bad beer than there are with good.

medic16
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I would have to go with Evanhill with Barley Brown being a good brewpub. They have better food as well.

We also have Terminal Gravity brewery in Enterprise. They brew some pretty good stuff.
I had an aged porter from them about 2 months ago and it was really good.
http://www.terminalgravitybrewing.com/

Enterprise is only 10 miles further than Lostine. This could be a possible metting place.

scothill
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Barley Browns is one of the best restaurants I have eaten at period. I can't talk about the beer as I don't drink it, but the food is amazing.

medic16
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Barley Brown website.
http://www.easy-finder.com/profiles/barleybrowns/pub.htm

I always get the Kobe beef burger.

medic16
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
This is the area I will be scouting out.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/trails-ec/1674_maxwell_lake_119.shtml

Jason
03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Well Medic, did you make it out in one piece? Photos? Cat tracks? Lonely Alpine Nymphs? :D

snakey2
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
If he found lonely alpine nymphs he isn't back and probably wouldn't tell anyone. Certainly wouldn't provide us with pictures!

medic16
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I am sad to report I did not get to go on the hike last weekend. I am currently looking to buy a new house. The only day that the realitor was available for me to look at the house I was interested in was saturday. I was going to try to go this weekend but we got a bunch of snow the last two days so I don't think I will be able to get up there. From the reports I have heard if the area it is steep in some parts before you get to the lake. I will keep you guys informed when I get a chance to get up there.