PDA

View Full Version : ? about Pointman

PHfactor
06-15-2002, 07:13 PM
Is there any way I can carry a sleep system and still use the full capacity of the Pointman
PHfactor

Patrick
06-15-2002, 08:57 PM
PH Factor--

Yes. We plan to have a lashing/compression set-up that'll accept a sleep system. How big is the sleep system you want it to accept?

Patrick

Recce Gear
06-15-2002, 10:20 PM
I was thinking about a dedicated compartment on the bottom with access on the side, instead of the traditional front access. It will add a little to the overall length of the pack, but not by much, maybe 5 or 6 inches. Just big enough to fit the green patrol bag from the modular sleep system, an Arktis Halo 3, or a Snugpak Merlin. If you have any questions about what I'm envisioning feel free to e-mail me for a sketch.

Patrick
06-16-2002, 12:01 AM
drtywk--

I think PHfactor is looking for external mounting in order to keep the full inside capacity of the Point Man. You're now talking about another pack; that five or six inches longer bag will result in quite a few more cubic inches. The fact is, we have another pack in the longer range chute that'll come in at about 3800 cubes that is a perfect match for what you're describing. Yeah, please send that sketch. We'll make sure such sleep ensembles as you mention fit. I'm really tickled to hear we seem to have a "fit" here for a pack we haven't said a word to anybody about yet. I've been thinking it's a very logical size, and this conversation gives a bit of verification to that. I plan on a hunting configured version too.

Patrick

Mel
06-16-2002, 02:16 PM
PHfactor:

The Pointman will be able to use the Cargo Chair, same as the EMR. With the Cargo Chair, you will be able to carry the sleep system and the shelter system on it, without having to take up this space in the pack. The nice thing about this setup, is you don't have a bulky sleep system strapped on the bottom of the pack. When carried on the bottom of the pack, it's very awkward and you are unable to sit easily.

drtywk:

The Pointman will not have a dedicated compartment for a sleep system. It will have a bottom access zip, though, where you could insert a small bag like the Snugpak Merlin, Arktis Halo 3, or a Wiggys' Overbag, and have quick access to it. Anything larger, or if you need all the room in the pack, then I would suggest a Cargo Chair.

As Patrick has stated, the next pack in the line-up, will be a mid-sized, with a capacity of about 3800 cubic inches, and it will be a panel loader. This will have some sort of sleep system compartment. Your suggestion of a side access is noteworthy, as I've always been a fan of that system myself. Where it is used extensively, is on Australian military rucks. It seems almost all the military pack makers down under use this side access system on their rucks. You just don't see it done here. That could change soon, stay tuned!

Mel

Recce Gear
06-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Mel, I have a large alice with the side access compartment on the bottom that I modified myself and I love it. Your right, the only place I've seen a compartment like this, besides my own, is down under. I like the idea of the mid-sized pack but I dont know if I'd like it being a panel loader. I'm more of a fan of the single-tube design. Don't get me wrong I love panel loaders, but I think that it would be more fitting as a single-tube design. Just my .02.