PDA

View Full Version : 2009 ECR roll call...

Ken
01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Allright fellas (and fellinas...)

Let's hear it...one final time.

WHO'S IN?

Who needs directions? I didn't have time to wade through all the PM's in the new software switch, so everyone NEW needs to shoot me some PM's again and I'll get the directions right out to you this week

Conditions to date have been cold and snowy. There's probably 2.5 feet of the white stuff up there and it's got two very defined crust layers in it. So far the long range forcasts are not showing any signs of the dreaded January thaw. Let's hope things continue. We had -20 to -25 locally the other night. I'm hoping we get some more cold stuff this year for the event. It sure was fun last winter crunching around in the sqeaky snow all weekend.

SST pins WILL be the way to go. I hope your homebrews are ready Woods...I'm not helping you dig out again this year. grin.

Anyone know how to activate the smileys? This new software is kicking my azz...

Woods Walker
01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
If I can't get the stuff to make them I will order a set from Kifaru this week. Patrick says I would have the pins in time. If not I will force him into the chain gang. My buddy has to work but have another that will go despite some fear from his wife (cold weather) she has given the green light. Now see the pro side to still being single. Fire me off a PM with the address again. I remember it I think but going to punch the info in my GPS this time just for fun.

Ken
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
The chain gang...lol...that's funny...

Sorry to hear that Chainbearer will not be making the voyage. Tell him I said hello and will have a beer for him.

I'll send you the UTM's for the trailhead.

Patrick was wondering about the snow situation yesterday...said he wanted to dig out the spot for the 16 man to keep the chairs from sinking out of sight. My back had a sudden twinge/spasm...I let him know about the current depths and conditons and he agreed (thankfully) that digging out wasn't necessary. Heck, it took us two hours to dig out for your four man...by the time we got the hole ready for the big party palace, we would have to pack up and go home.

Tell your buddies wife not to worry..he will be in good hands...frostbite is rarely fatal...

Ken
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
oh yeah...almost forgot..I think we will have a surprise visitor/new guy from the forum attending.

Yahoo!

Dave R.
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm in....my son is out....he's going to a Webelo Scout Weekend with his patrol....Woodsy...I have a set of ssts you can use.....let me know.

Dave

Woods Walker
01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Tell your buddies wife not to worry..he will be in good hands...frostbite is rarely fatal...

Yea but too much booze can be.....

Plodder
01-19-2009, 03:43 AM
Ken

Count me in.
I will be there Saturday morning.
I do not need any directions

Bob

Ken
01-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm in....my son is out....he's going to a Webelo Scout Weekend with his patrol....Woodsy...I have a set of ssts you can use.....let me know.

Dave

That's too bad..I was looking foward to meeting the young man.

Ken
01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
...forgot to add...

If there is anything special anyone WANTS to see, please ask on this thread. Between the general membership, we usually can come up with ALOT of the Kifaru gear if people are intersted in looking an item over before they order one from Co.

Thanks.

billybass
01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
do you guys mind if I stop by and check out the tipis? ready to order but still up in the air on size.

Ken
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
No Problem BB...your more than welcome.

Checking them out up close is definitely the way to go before buying...trouble is, you'll leave wanting 2-3 of'em...lol...

jimrosasco
01-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Im in please PM Directions expect Friday/Sat AM arrival depends on work. Want to make some of my own SST any suggestions on lenth? Using on paratipi

PA Scott
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm in. Talked to Dave R last evening, and looks like we'll be driving together and arriving Thursday. We'll lock down on a definite arrival time as the date gets closer.

YEHAA!

Ken - remind Jeremy to bring his guitar if he can make it to the Rondy.

PA Scott

Ken
01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
...will do...

Jason coming along with you fellas?

PA Scott
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Ken,

Haven't heard from Jason in some time. Maybe Dave has?

I've got a new 4 door F-150, so he's more than welcome to ride along -- lots of room.

Looking forward to seeing you & everyone else at the camp.

PA Scott

billybass
01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Ken can you pm me directions. I will probably be stopping by Friday afternoon or Saturday. any problems with bringing the dog along?

Dave R.
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Billy....that's a great thing about the weekend...you can see Kifaru gear....test it and talk to folks who have used it for many years...

You will be glad that you came...promise!

Dave

Dave R.
01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
i'll call Jason 2nite

GJZ
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Should be there....might show up a early this year!

Looks like a good friend/co-worker outdoorsman might be make it also....

Robbie
01-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Ken, I plan on coming in,in the dark of night with Andy. looking forward to it. Take care Robbie

Ken
01-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey Robbie...looking foward to meeting you.

BillyBass...Directions sent.

Ralph
01-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Rather stupidly, I didn't jot down the dates and with the old threads gone, can't look them up. Could you please post them again?

Tierce
01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this time. I just got orders that mobilization is starting a week earlier. I'm going to miss the venison, cider, and most of all, BSing around the stove in the 16 man. However, I'll still be connected to Kifaru through all the gear that's served me well the last 4+ months at Fort Knox, and is coming with me on deployment. Finally, to any newbies out there who might be on the fence, you won't regret it.

Ken
01-24-2009, 12:44 PM
The weekend of the 7th Ralph.

Tierce- Sorry to hear you can't make it. Keep in touch and good luck.

Dave R.
01-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Tierce,

God's Speed to you. Stay in touch and thanks a million times over for serving our Country...

Dave, and Dave's Flintlock!!!

Woods Walker
01-27-2009, 11:50 PM
No black powder in my stove this year.... :)

Plodder
01-28-2009, 07:10 AM
BillyBass or anyone else who is interested that is going to the ECR

I am coming down from Canada to the ECR on Saturday February 07th, 2009.

I own a 4 man TIPI with a medium stove, it comes with Mosquito netting sewn in, a medium Stove Snow Platform, a medium stove warming tray and two extra cinder screens.

All of the above is currently $1,255.48 before shipping (new) on the Kifaru site. I purchased mine in July of 2006, it is white and well used but there are no holes or tears and I would be looking for $600.00 US (cash)
If you are interested, I will bring it down to the Rendezvous.
I should warn you that if you are looking to use this for winter camping you will have to buy a set of SST pins from Kifaru as I will not be selling mine with this deal.

Please send me an e-mail at bob.miller@cgi.com if you are interested.

Note that I no longer use this TIPI as I now use a Super Tarp with an Annex and a parastove. So it does not make sense for it not to be used by someone who loves camping.

Bob Miller

Ken
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm interested...

Woods Walker
01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I seen Plodder’s 4-man a few ERCs ago. Looked good. Last ECR he was using the ST as he wanted to cut down on pack weight I think.

Any gear your guys want to see as packing up now.

4-man with homemade stove and stack robber.
Rebel Eos headlamp.
Zebralight H50 headlamp.
Leatherman S2.
L2D Q5.
Some guns.... :)
pulk sled.
Micro spikes.
Multi Mat.
Downmat 9DLX.

Plodder
01-29-2009, 03:35 AM
Ken

I will bring it all down when I come. (tent, stove & all accessories previously listed)
As you were the first to respond, I will give you the right of first refusal.

Bob Miller

jimrosasco
01-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Plodder can you put me second in line for set up if Ken is a no go?

I will be at ECR also

Jim

Plodder
01-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Jim

Consider it done.
I will see you next week-end

Bob Miller

Dave R.
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I spoke to Jason....he say's he's coming with me and PA Scott....

Dave

PA Scott
01-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I spoke to Jason....he say's he's coming with me and PA Scott....

Dave

ALRIGHT! We'll stay in touch re a departure time. I may get stuck covering a hearing early on Thursday, but should be out by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. I'll let you know once I get back to the office & touch base with the powers that be.

I'll be packed in any event & ready to roll.

PA Scott

PS - Will be bottling some cider this afternoon. Hope your livers are ready!

PA Scott
01-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Also...

Patrick: Willin' is ready to go!!

See ya there!

Ken
01-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Looks like we will have it easy with the weather this year. Temps should be pretty warm, teens at night, upper 20's during the day. Nothing to it. We've got a potential whopper of a storm coming in Tuesday...even without it we will have plenty of snow so be sure to bring the SST pins.

Gettin' down to it now!...I can hardly wait to see everyone again.

Woods Walker
01-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Looks like we will have it easy with the weather this year. Temps should be pretty warm, teens at night, upper 20's during the day. Nothing to it. We've got a potential whopper of a storm coming in Tuesday...even without it we will have plenty of snow so be sure to bring the SST pins.

Gettin' down to it now!...I can hardly wait to see everyone again.

Upper teens at night? Hold on I didn't sign on for that. What if I get the snivels?

Ken
01-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Ha!...I was hoping for a repeat of last winters ECR...-15 or colder...doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Patrick
01-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Yikes! A heat wave this year, eh?

Scott, glad to hear Willin is ready. Wanna make a stab at an "unpracticed" Attics of My Life at some point?

PA Scott
02-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Yikes! A heat wave this year, eh?

Scott, glad to hear Willin is ready. Wanna make a stab at an "unpracticed" Attics of My Life at some point?

I'm pretty sure I've got Attics in my songbook, but if I remember right, it's got some pretty funky chord progressions. Might take a bit o' cider to work up the courage to give it a go, but that's never stopped us before, eh?

PA Scott

Dave R.
02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Update on Jason of Two Elk fame.....he's coming in by himself Thursday night....Scott....I'll see you btw 9:00-9:30....will wait for you if you are working in Court....

Dave

William Clunie
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Once again, it's a "NO SHOW" for William Clunie. I attended the first ECR and have been absent ever since. I've just been informed, I'm working this weekend. Gotta go where the money flows in this economy. God Bless all those good folks that attend. As you sit around the glow of that Arctic Stove in the 16-man tipi, think of me kindly -- I'll be sleeping in preparation for another day of work, and dreaming of seeing you all at the next ECR. (someday I'll retire and hit every Kifaru rendezvous available).

Dave R.
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi Will,

My Grandfather always said, "Make hay when the sun shines." Once again, we'll miss you....your name always comes up in good spirit around the woodstove!

All the best,

Dave

PA Scott
02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
William,

Sorry we will miss you this year, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. We will be sure to hoist one in your honor.

BTW - anyone heard from Ksnake, Woodland Girl, or copper?

PA Scott

William Clunie
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I'll surely miss you all too. Just counting my Blessings -- Hey, I'm employed so I can't complain. I certainly will miss entertaining you all with a moose meal or two.

NEXT TIME.

Dave R.
02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Last year, a couple of kifaru addicts asked about some of knots that I was using....I'll bring some rope to demonstrate some simple but very useful knots for camping and life in general....just let me know at camp if you want to see them and learn them....

Dave

Ken
02-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Sorry to hear that AGAIN William...

Dave- When are you fellas going to be arriving?

Dave R.
02-03-2009, 05:59 AM
We are shooting for late afternoon----4 or 5 at the parking lot....maybe earlier if things go well.

Dave

PA Scott
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Good news on the scheduling front. I've often talked about the ECR in the past & everyone at the courthouse knows that I go each year. The bottom line is that everyone has agreed to bump my hearing over to the following Monday so that I can get headed out ASAP on Thursday morning.

Dave -- I'll look forward to seeing you sometime after 9 -- we can park your vehicle & take the truck. We might actually get to camp before it gets dark!

PA Scott

Dave R.
02-03-2009, 02:57 PM
sounds good Scott....See ya 'round 0900...

Dave

Dave R.
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Scott...do you have an extra pair of Ski poles??

Ken
02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
phew...have I got a pile of Kifaru gear in the living room tonight...lol...

40 MOB, 0 MOB, Standard AND Arctic weight 24-7 clothes...16 man tipi in da house...yahoo!

Just unpacked the boxes Patrick sent out...it's kinda like Christmas around here tonight.

Ken
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
ooppss...my bad...-20 MOB. It felt a little more dense than my 0 MOB and upon closer inspection, I see Patrick has it all labeled up as -20...should be overkill for this weekends weather unfortunately.

Ralph
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll be bringing a couple of axes I no longer need if anyone is interested. Both Norlund, not as pretty as GB but good axes and a lot less expensive:
Camper single bit, 28" straight handle, 2.5 lb. head, leather muzzle.
Crusier double bit, 28" straight handle, 3 lb. head, leather sheath.
I'd like $20 each or both for $35

These are a nuisance to wrap and ship so I'd prefer to sell them off the truck.

PA Scott
02-04-2009, 03:57 AM
I'll be bringing a couple of axes I no longer need if anyone is interested. Both Norlund, not as pretty as GB but good axes and a lot less expensive:
Camper single bit, 28" straight handle, 2.5 lb. head, leather muzzle.
Crusier double bit, 28" straight handle, 3 lb. head, leather sheath.
I'd like $20 each or both for $35

These are a nuisance to wrap and ship so I'd prefer to sell them off the truck.

Ralph - I was in the market for an ax; your timing is impeccable. If no one else is interested, I'll take both. BTW - very much looking forward to seeing you again.

Dave - I've got an extra pair of poles that came with my snowshoes. Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

Ken - just checked the NWS weather report for Thursday night & they're predicting 7 below. I'm thinking my -20 MOB is going to be pretty cozy.

PA Scott

Dave R.
02-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Hi Ralph,

Very glad too that you are coming! I hope to re-tell the legend about how tough your packs are....passed Dave's drag 2 miles in the mud test!

See you soon,

Dave

Ken
02-04-2009, 05:21 AM
-7? The Weather Channels forecast is a bit warmer at 5 abouve, then warming up right through till Sunday. It looks like we are going to have our first dose of rain for the event on Saturday.

PA Scott
02-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Ken - sweet doin's on the kifaru gear. I always look forward to checking out the new stuff. Of course, the $ usually fly away to Colorado shortly thereafter.

Weather report for Thurs night:

Thursday night Partly cloudy. Cold with lows around 7 below. Southwest winds around 5 mph.

http://www.uswx.com/us/wx/ny/12134/

See you tomorrow!

PA Scott

Ralph
02-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Scott, the axes are yours (p.s. the lacquer finish was scraped off the handles and replaced with oil.

Dave, I'll be bringing my main canoe pack, on my back so I hope we can forego the mud drag test this time. (There was little wear and tear but getting the dried mud off took awhile.)

Weather is warming, not only at the site but through the region. Light rain/snow flurries forecast for Saturday.

Dave R.
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
yes Ralph, still haven't forgiven myself for that mess....see you soon.

Dave

Woods Walker
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I will be there Saterday around 11 am.

GJZ
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
To my Kifaru bloodbrothers....

Have a safe trip and see you soon!

Ken
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
First tipi is up....

http://www.kifaruforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=130&stc=1&d=1233806674

Ed C
02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
SWEET How do you and Bush do that?

Woods Walker
02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I have the pulk sled packed. Darn I would rather be there now.

William Clunie
02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Yous guys are lucky! Dang it. Wish I was there. Just found out I'm working Friday AND Saturday. NEXT TIME!

ryanusmc
02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Where is this?? Do I still have time to crash it? Ill bring a couple of gallons of mead.

GJZ
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
William, wish you and everyone else who wanted to attend could have made the trip it would have been great to see you....

William Clunie
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Ryan,
It's near the Adirondacks. Contact Ken from NY. I don't think you have time though.

Greg,
Same to you bud. Maybe next year? Take care.