PDA

View Full Version : PNW Winter Rondy Jan 17-19

evanhill
01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
It might have been a mistake to simply continue the old thread rather than start a new one once dates were set. Well, the dates are set (based on when people said they'd be available) and they're SOON!

The Rendezvous will be Saturday Jan 17th through Monday Jan 19th. Monday is MLK day. Based on current responses (1 southern OR, 2 western OR, 2 central OR, 2 SE WA, 1 E OR, 1 Seattle), I'd say that we're going to be having it somewhere around Central Oregon. The advantage of this is that I can scout and prep the site a lot better than I can other areas.

Right now the spot I'm thinking about is ~2 miles in in the middle of nordic trail complex, but not on a trail itself. You can ski or snowshoe in, and there are plenty of snowshoes and three pair of Karhu "sliding snowshoes" available to borrow.

So, can I get a roll call on this thread? Right now I think the attendees are:

scothill
evanhill
superbadger
bushcraft
snakey
jason
david walter (and Mrs.)

possibles:

medic16
siskiyous2
christianh

Thanks!

SuperBadger
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm in.

Jason
01-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Me to.

I'm bringing my snow shoes but would love to try a pair of Karhu Karvers if possible.

My cooking skills include bran muffins, Logan bread and Oatmeal cookies if any of that sounds appealing.

OR_Wildfire
01-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I might be able to make it? It will be tight, ended up spending more time in nebraska than I had planned with the parents. Currently I'm in albuequerque, visiting my sister.

scothill
01-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I plan to be there

Bushcraft
01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm in.

I'll probably spend the rest of the week a little further south and east. Need to butcher some locker beef.

christianh
01-05-2009, 12:35 AM
I'll be there, just keep me updated as to location. I am hoping my Rossi BC 90 skis get delivered so I can try them out on the trip.

Christian Hanson

snakey2
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I need to tie up a few loose ends that I missed while on vacation but expect to be there. I will need a home since none of my tents are "4" season.

Bushcraft
01-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Snakey,

You can shack up in my 8-man if you'll let me share some 17 Year Balwenie Rumcask with you.

Allen

TwoRavens
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Bummer I can't make it... a 4 month old and NRA certs etc. eat up a lot of time.

Have a great time.

scothill
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Allen
Can I share your 8 man too? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

evanhill
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 4 month old... eat up a lot of time</div></div>

Yes indeed!

evanhill
01-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll get final directions out to folks this weekend or early next week. Please PM me with your email address for this information. Thanks.

Jason
01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Wheeeww, I was afraid the board might be down and only one guy would know where we're meeting.

Bushcraft
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I added a calendar entry for the NW Rondy...can anyone else see it?

Allen

SuperBadger
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Where would I see this calendar?
EDIT: Nevermind, right on the top bar....

And yep, I do see the event...

It also shows birthdays, nice.

Jason
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Has a site been located yet?

scothill
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Evan will be posting all of the information today. It was already kind of posted, but was lost in the transfer. Evan went out this weekend and got UTM coordinates and the whole ball of wax. So stay tuned.

Also is anyone is coming in on Friday night and wants a place to crash I have carpet available.

evanhill
01-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok. so I located a camp spot and prepped it yesterday.

Snow conditions are pretty good. We had a warm spell a week ago, so there is a very heavy crust with maybe 3 inches of oldish snow on top of that. We're supposed to get a couple of small storms between now and this weekend which will hopefully result in a few more fresh inches. This means that you can go pretty much anywhere quite easily -- even on snowshoes. The trail itself is kind of crusted and icy, but off trail isn't. I located the camp a scant 9/10 of a mile in (but a couple hundred yards off the trail). So, if you're on the fence about coming, don't be. It is going to be very easy to get in, even with snowshoes and a full load on your back, and we have lots of snowshoes to loan.

Camp is a nice bench at the upper end of a clearcut that has views of brokentop:

http://www.evanhill.org/images/pnwwr09/a.jpg

http://www.evanhill.org/images/pnwwr09/b.jpg

I also cut and split some firewood to get us started:

http://www.evanhill.org/images/pnwwr09/c.jpg

The trailhead (Swampy Lake Snow Park) was pretty busy yesterday, as this is smack dab in the middle of the best XC skiing and snowshoeing terrain near Bend and the weather was beautiful.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recreation/winter/images/swampy-nordic.jpg

However, while I was prepping camp, I only saw one small group of skiers go by on the trail at the far edge of the clearcut, and they didn't see me. This location is going to be a great base to go out and explore the area or just hang out and enjoy being out. With snow conditions being what they are, there is very little reason to stay on the trails other than to get into and out of camp.

If folks are interested, an added possibility lies another 5 miles up the main access road at Mt. Bachelor. http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/trail_map/trailmap.jpg. As of this year, one of their bunny lifts (Carrousel Lift) is open from 10 to 3 on Saturdays and Sundays and is absolutely free. It is plenty long and plenty steep to work on your XC ski downhill technique. I was up there with the kids yesterday afternoon, and there were lots of folks practicing tele (including myself for one run). I'm not a big fan of lift served, but you sure can pump up your downhill technique really quickly that way.

As of right now, it looks like enough folks will be coming in Friday evening that we'll probably head into camp pretty early Saturday morning, and then one of us will probably head back out to meet later-comers in the parking lot. I will privately send out UTM coordinate and an annotated trail map to confirmed attendees whose email addresses I have. If I don't have your email addy, PM or email it to me.

SuperBadger
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Looks great, thanks for the prep work!

Bushcraft
01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Evan,

With the recent melt-off, what would you estimate the snow depth to be at the camp site after it has been packed/shoveled/leveled?

Steel stakes...or SST? I'll bring both sets of course, just curious since it can be a little troublesome to setup if the ground is frozen and you've only got 8-12" of semi-crusty snow.

Allen

Jason
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the pictorial preview Evan.

evanhill
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
snow depth under the heavy crust is 3-4 feet of fairly powdery snow. The crust was tough to break through with a snow shovel. I was going to pack down an area for the 8 man, but could rarely break through with my boots, let alone my skis for packing it down. I *think* that the spot I have in mind (just in front of my pack in the top picture) for the 8 man is tough and level enough that we can simply use the regular stakes on top of the crust. There are other smaller level spots nearby that are similar.

Bushcraft
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Excellent. Sounds like perfect conditions for the SST pins.

You chopped the wood too, right? :grin:

evanhill
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
You chopped the wood too, right?

you mean split it? yes I did. There are some smallish pieces I didn't split, but most of it is split and safely resting under a contractors bag on top of some unsplit stickers, as there wasn't a likely looking tree crook nearby. There isn't enough wood prepped for everyone for all weekend, but there should be enough for the first night at least.

email with specific campsite location just went out. if you don't have it and want it, let me know.

Montanapete1
01-12-2009, 11:11 PM
This sounds much more fun than what I'm going to have, the next time I go to Oregon. Have to head down there next month to meet with a Probate Attorney. I hope you guys have a great time as the pics look like good site to, get-down and cut-a-rug! I have a feeling that, the only thing in those woods that's going to be endangered is going to be a 12-pack of brew.
Have a great weekend and Post lot's of pics for us losers at home.

evanhill
01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Scot and I skied out to the campsite this morning to check things out. We didn't get any snow this week, so the trail itself is pretty solid ice, at least first thing in the morning. If you don't have skins for your skis, bring snowshoes for bringing your load into camp on the trail. We also have snowshoes to loan. Off trail is still pretty decent traveling on skis.

Buck W
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll be there. I'll bring wild meat (courtesy of Westy) chili (simmering at this moment), and corn bread.

Jason, bring some Logan bread. I'd like to try it.

Jason
01-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Will do.

If anyone has space on their pulk for a cooler, I'll buy a couple cases of Black Butte Porter. With the night temps I'm pretty sure we'd wake up to a disaster otherwise.

I really don't want to stuff two dozen bottles down my sleeping bag......(grin).

evanhill
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Jason, I would think beer bottles buried in the snow would stay close enough to 32 not to explode. I'm sure there are folks on this forum who could speak to that definitively ;)

Don't know if I have space initially, but it's only a mile in from the parking lot and where there's a will, there's a way.

Jason
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
OK Evan, it's worth the risk. We'll improvise as we go.

Buck W
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Should be OK.

I've buried hot water in a covered pot in about a foot of snow when it was 0 deg overnight, and it was liguid in the morning. After all this stuff has alcohol in it doesn't it ??

Jason
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah, it's got a little bit, but 5.5-7% doesn't constitue "antifreeze" I'm afeard.

To answer Evan's question, I'm planning to bug out at O'dark-thirty to land in Bend mid-morning to catch breakfast with a buddy who lives there. If I know what time is everyone planning to converge on the snow-park I'll try to be punctual.

Logan bread is out of the oven and I'm heading into town for my parking permit and oatmeal for cookies.

evanhill
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Jason, check your PM's for a couple of phone #s so we can coordinate once you get into town. Right now it's looking like 11ish for one contingent and then 2ish for a second one. I know you want to go out on Karvers so we need to get that lined up.