PDA

View Full Version : Strap Management, Pics

seigi
07-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I was toying around with different setups and getting use to donning the pack and adjusting it when I noticed a problem, the lifter straps would slip off of the shoulder straps and get twisted sometimes. So I decied to do some quick mods today.

I added removable velcro to all of the straps except the shoulder bottom adjustment and the lifter straps (to tidy up all of the extra slack). I also added wrap-around velcro to the shoulder strap top adjustment as well as the lifter straps to keep them in-line with eachother.

Compression straps:
http://static.flickr.com/45/193680323_e4b01b21d1.jpg?v=0

Shoulder straps:
http://static.flickr.com/58/193680325_b3e8dd063a.jpg?v=0

tester
07-20-2006, 06:28 AM
looks very nice!

tim83
07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
yeah I think you definetly went the right route with that one. The sewn on velcro tabs seem to be the most reasonable way to tidy them up...plus you can just yank on the velcro and it'll come undone in no time at all. That'll definetly be a mod of mine for my marauder...just a matter of when I get the time.

Seahawk
07-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Looks good. I was thinking of using ranger bands on mine, but what you did seems better. Where did you get the velcro to do the mods?

seigi
07-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys,

I got the velcro from Diy Tactical (http://www.DiyTacticalstore.com)

Overall it was a quick mod, but very productive. I'm planning on some actual modifications to the pack soon, not just surface.

militarymoron
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
nice work, seigi. by the way, for the other 1" strap ends that you may not have wanted to sew velcro on, i tried out the new ITW-fastex 'Web Dominator' clips, which will secure a rolled-up loose strap end, and installs on any 1" webbing. i'm not sure where they're available yet, so ask your regular ITW hardware dealer to order some if they don't carry it. they work pretty well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/dominator1.jpg

seigi
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
MM,

Thanks. Those look sweet, definately gotta get some. Do they work well with thicker webbing?

militarymoron
07-25-2006, 11:44 AM
it'll work as long as it can be installed on the webbing. obviously, you might not be able to get as large a bundle in there, so you might have to have fewer folds/layers.

edited to add: seigi just contacted me offline inquiring about where to get these. i haven't seen them carried by the usual dealers like supplycaptain.com, so email your normal dealer to ask them to carry it. mel, any chance kifaru will carry and sell these?

bmstrong
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I would love to see a tutorial of some sorts on how this was done. IE: How you sewed the straps on, how long it took, etc. I know nothing about that kind of stuff but would love to attempt the mod.

seigi
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I'll get something together soon, I'm a bit swamped a t the moment.

mark92a
07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
The Web Dominator is not in production yet as of this week. Samples are floating around, I have some, but ITW Nexus is still working on the tooling. As soon as they are in production, Im sure vendors like Supply Captain will have them. The ITW Nexus Military buckle rep lives right down the road from me, I get to see all the new stuff first.. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pathfinder74
07-30-2006, 03:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by militarymoron:
for the other 1" strap ends that you may not have wanted to sew velcro on, i tried out the new ITW-fastex 'Web Dominator' clips
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/dominator1.jpg </div></div>SWEET!!

Olive Drab
07-30-2006, 07:45 AM
cant wait til i can order some samples. product looks perfect

bmstrong
08-01-2006, 04:08 AM
>>I'm planning on some actual modifications to the pack soon, not just surface.

If I may? What kind of mods?

seigi
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm not definate on what exactly yet, but I wanted to add webbing to the bottom and top. I was originally going to sew on slot pockets but I've decied not to do any major alterations to the pack, instead I'll be doing surface mods only.

bmstrong
08-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Ah!

Seigi: Do you "farm" your sewing talents out to other members?

seigi
08-02-2006, 08:35 AM
PM me.

militarymoron
08-04-2006, 08:46 AM
not to go off topic, but here's another great use for the web dominator - securing the end of a hydration tube to the sternum strap (or any vertical webbing on the shoulder strap).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/dominator2.jpg

Bushcraft
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Alright, I'm sick of looking at these pictures of that jacket and not having one! Exactly what I'm looking for (if waterproof/breathable/decent lining). Where can a guy pick up one or two of those? Do they come in Multi-Cam?

seigi
08-04-2006, 12:42 PM
MM,

Good idea for the clip.

What jacket is that?

militarymoron
08-04-2006, 02:10 PM
it's an arc'teryx alpha jacket (scroll down this page) -
http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/clothes.3.html

the hydration hose usage came up during a chat with the ITW rep - i'm just passing it along (wasn't my idea). /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

edited to add: nope, the alpha does not come in multicam right now.

murphquake
08-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Cass,
Is that paracord or shockcord on the dominator? Neat little trinket, think I'll need a dozen or so =-)
-bill

fireballxl5
08-07-2006, 12:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by murphquake:
Cass,
Is that paracord or shockcord on the dominator? Neat little trinket, think I'll need a dozen or so =-)
-bill </div></div>Huh! Lightweight!
;-)

I bought some plastic keepers (not quite as nice as those dominators) for strap control on pack, two long pockets, claymore and E&amp;E and needed over 22.

I bought 50 keepers thinking that would be enough for myself and my mate and a few spare for odds and sods pouches.

All those compression staps, Lock 'n' Docks and so forth really add up quite quickly. It's easy to underestimate.

Those dominators do look quite nice - lengthen the shockcord and I'd hazard a guess and say you can probably use them for lashing points for things such as knife sheaths and the like.

Dan M
08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Supply Captain says they have these web dominators inbound.

Eagle6
08-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Any news on the ETA of the web dominators?

landshark
09-05-2006, 02:55 PM
According to my supplier "Factory production is limited at this time due to a single cavity tool and the assembly of the cordage."

There is a 4 week lead time on the plastic and 8 week lead time for the assembled item.

Considering what These things are, they aren't too cheap, especially when pre assembled which pretty much triples the cost.

I should have samples by the end of this week but won't get to check them out till I get back to the states.

Smackdaddyj
09-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Can we buy the plastic and shock cord in peices and assemble them ourselves?

Someone please let us know when these are available. I really need something like this.

Smackdaddyj

landshark
09-10-2006, 10:42 PM
I haven't determined how we're going to do that yet. We have a couple of options. I'll come up with something once I get back in country and settled. I'm in transit back to the US as I type this.

Feel free to contact me PM/email with any questions. Don't want to turn this into a marketing thing.

I Don't mind answering in the forum with technical details and info if i have it though.

imported_Scott Cunningham
09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Those web-dominator clips look nice. One complaint I always had on Kifaru stuff was the lack of strap management. Kif products have more straps than any others, and often look like a pile of spagetti after all is said and done. Its a pet peeve of mine to have all this loose stuff hanging around, so I use inner tube snippets, tape, buckles, and other stuff to police up all the loose gear.

One thing I did on my Marauder was 550 cord the lifting strap. I used a strand of 550 and wrapped the lifting strap tight. It makes it a lot stiffer and easier to grab. I also sewed another lifting strap on the top of my Marauder because I didn't like the placement of the original (in the back), but that is another issue.

Hanzo
09-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Look on the bright side, it's like a built in ghillie!

mark92a
09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Web Dominators are now out and availible for sale. They come in both Foliage Green and Coyote Brown.

Eagle6
09-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Ordered mine this morning!

Lone Piper
09-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Just ordered my web dominators as well! Looks like a great piece of kit!

wolfmen
09-30-2006, 01:42 AM
me too. yesterday nit i ordered 20 pcs to try it and some other accessories.

thx mark92a

Scrim
10-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Good deal. I have been eagerly anticipating these. Thanks for the heads up.

danceswithhelicopters
10-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Anyone know if these are, or will be, available in black??

mark92a
10-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Not availible in black, only FG and CB.

Woods Walker
10-02-2006, 06:05 AM
I want some. How do I order? Looking for CB.

seigi
10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Mine were delivered today, I must say that their definately going to make a huge difference.

Eagle6
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Mine arrived this morning as well. Agree with seigi--huge effectiveness.

BTW, beginning to like Foliage Green...

Hanzo
10-02-2006, 01:31 PM
WW,

Web Dominators (http://www.supplycaptain.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&amp;Product_ID=30 4)

Gingerbread Man
10-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I just got in a supply of the new ITW Web Dominators from Supply Captain and I thought I'd post a quick review.

I have a few packs, and one of my favorite to take along on my White Mountain treks is my Kifaru Marauder. I tried to use velcro strips, electrical tape, and other methods to manage the numerous straps, but I found that they made it worse. If you ever needed to undo the strap that was being managed, it either meant cutting the tape, or undoing the velcro strip (which usually ended up in a pocket somewhere or lost).

When I first saw these new ITW Web Dominators on Military Morons, I waited for them to get in stock to try some.

These things are great! They are relatively inexpensive (I got 50 of them for about $27), lightweight, and do the job well. I am also going to utilize these for managing my hydration hose, which I can never seem to keep in the right place when I'm hiking.

Here are a few pictures. The first is an example of one of the top compression straps on the Marauder bare.

http://thedimarcos.org/gear/ITW_WD_2.JPG

Here is the Web Dominator installed

http://thedimarcos.org/gear/ITW_WD_3.JPG

and with the strap secured.

http://thedimarcos.org/gear/ITW_WD_4.JPG

SC supplies them in packages of 10 and loose 1/8" shock cord. You can size the shock cord to your desired length. I did leave the cord a little long in these pictures in case I wanted to run a wire or hose through them as well.

Finally, here is a closeup of the bare clip next to a Grimlock for size comparison.

http://thedimarcos.org/gear/ITW_WD_1.JPG

I hope to get out in the next few weeks either with my Boy Scout troop or on my own to see how useful these really are. I suspect I will not be disappointed.

Regards,
Paul D.

Lone Piper
10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Paul, thanks for the pics. Just received my pack of 50 today from SC as well and am getting ready to put them on my Zulu. Have to agree, these look like a GREAT strap management tool!

Mel
10-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I saw the development of the web dominators from the begining. Last year the ITW rep stopped by my place when he was out here on the west coast, and showed me the first mockup protoypes in the white. I knew they had a winner when I saw them. It's great to see the finished product is finally available. Clean and simple, what more could you ask for.

Mel

Dan M
10-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Hehe, I just got mine in foliage green in today as well. They are the cat's *ss on my UCP ZXR.

Scrim
10-05-2006, 05:39 AM
These are the best things since sliced bread!
Just finished my EMR. I ordered 30 and only had 2 to spare. So order plenty!
Any one else get blisters from tying all those bloody knots?!

duckhunter
10-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Strap management!? WTF,strap management is pulling them all til they're snug. What's the big deal? I have civy packs with just as many straps hanging off and it never bothered me. It just becomes a PITA when you need to adjust them,especially on the move.
That being said,the Dominator looks to be an extremely useful little item. I am now using them to route my hydration tube,but I expect I'll find other uses in time.

landshark
10-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I posted this in another forum but here is how i am using them. A bit more secure to prevent the straps from popping out when thet get snagged on something.

http://www.diytactical.com/images/webdominatorwrap1.JPG

Diabolus
06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
I have been looking for these all over the place - thanks for the link.

I just bought 40 of em...

Jan
06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Just got my pack of 50 from Supply Captain. These things are the heat, plus the shipping was phenomenally fast! Two thumbs up!