PDA

View Full Version : Marauder fit for big guys?

CreationBear
07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm having trouble deciding between two packs--sound familiar? In my case, I do a lot of rhody-crawling and rock-hopping here in the Southern Appalachians and was looking for a big lumbar pack that would let me stay streamlined and maintain a low COG, while also giving me enough space to pack rain gear, etc. enough for a long day afield. (I've been known to string up a flyrod along the way as well.)

Obviously, the Scout caught my eye from the beginning; however, after reading the specs on the Marauder, I realized it's not that much taller (6" or so) than the Scout, and since I'm a wide 6'5", I'm wondering if it will serve as a kind of lumbar pack, especially with its top and bottom compression straps.

Any thoughts on how well the Marauder might suit this purpose? I'm thinking that if that I can get long enough shoulder straps and get the stays to conform to the small of my back, I might have a winner. If not, I'll definitely count myself lucky to have found the Scout!

fireballxl5
07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by CreationBear:
I'm having trouble deciding between two packs--sound familiar? ...
</div></div>Seems to be a common problem.
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

But in this case I think the answer is pretty easy.

I reckon the Marauder would take a lot of work to effecitvely modify for use as a lumb pack.

I have no doubt that it could be done.
I think the stay bending would be the easy bit, but I think modiyfing the harness to sit right and carry the load comfortably could take a lot of effort and would probably take a lot mor than just lengthening the shoulder straps.

I think you would have problems with lateral stability - the Marauder may only be 6" taller that the Scout, but that is a significant difference in height, given the base height of these packs. I also suspect you might ahve problems with the Marauder not sitting close in to your back.

I think you would either need to modify where the Marauder shoulder straps are attached, as well as their length.
I think the fact that the bottom of Scout shoulder straps attach to the top of it's sides probably add a fair bit to it's lateral stability as well as helping to keep it pulled in close to the back.

Aimless
07-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Boy, I'm certainly no expert, I don't even have a Marauder, but I'm a little skeptical. The stays in the scout have a bend to them that makes it ride in the small of your back properly.

I have had a Scout for a few months now but have only had it out in the woods a few times unfortunately. I'm probably going to have to add some pouches to be able to carry heavier winter gear and still get my tree fall restraint or an electronic varmint caller in there but as long as the weight is kept reasonable I think it will work. It certainly feels more "nimble" than my regular packs (an Eagle A3 and Camelbak Motherlode)

imported_Scott Cunningham
07-08-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm not as big (6'2" 220#), but I can still use the Marauder effectively. You can bend the stays and adjust the straps until it fits you right. It isn't a huge pack, but is probably fine for what you want. In any case, you can usually max it out at 65lb or so (won't fit much more). A guy as big as you would not have a huge problem carrying a typical Marauder load (35-45 lb) comfortably.

CreationBear
07-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks, gentlemen. After reading your posts, I think a Scout will suit me fine if I can maintain a little discipline regarding my load-out and not get too pouch-and-pod happy. (Not an unheard of affliction around here, I'm sure!)

BuckarooMedic
07-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Bear -

I feel your pain in trying to decide between these two great packs. I eventually chose the Marauder, mostly due to the larger amount of interior cubes. One thing to keep in mind is that all the Kifaru packs act sort of like a lumbar pack. This is mainly due to the fact that they all use Patrick Smith's patented lumbar suspension system. I'm 6' tall and weigh around 200lbs and the Marauder fits me very well. When I wore my Marauder with my IBA on, I noticed that the shoulder straps were just about maxed out. I would recommend that you, due to your height, possibly inquire about longer shoulder straps on the Scout that you want to order.

Just trying to help out. Good luck and take care . . .

Lone Piper
07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm 6'2" around 220 depending on what I had for dinner and how much beer I drank. The Marauder fits me fine. I love the way you can organize the interior of the pack to fit your specific needs. I too wore it with my IBA on it it fit perfectly. The adjustable straps are a blessing for when wearing body armor.

Good luck on the toughest of decisions!

CreationBear
07-11-2006, 07:48 AM
BuckarooMedic/Lone Piper--

Thanks for the input--as you mention, the combination of the Marauder's extra volume with all those internal PALS makes it hard to pass up. Granting that the Scout is great for what it was designed to do, I was worried that late season treks with it would have me looking like a yard sale--not good with our "grabby" vegetation in this part of the world.

Decisions, decisions....I wonder how many hits a search of "Get both!" would turn up?

Lone Piper
07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Probably a ton of "get both" responses....its what I do!!! I just got word that my ACU Zulu is enroute!!!! Yeah, its a disease!