PDA

View Full Version : NW winter rondy

idaho lad
10-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Is there going to be an winter rondy this year? Any word on it?

evanhill
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
We don't have enough snow yet to float a pulk let alone a skier!

Yep, we'll put one together. I want to choose a better spot than last year, but the timing seemed pretty good (late Jan, early Feb). Heck, with the exception of Allen, something right here on the Deschutes NF would be pretty centrally located for the folks who came last year.

SuperBadger
10-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I am looking forward to this years winter rondy. I agree that the timing was great.

A change of venue would be nice. The Deschutes would be great! I'm sure we could carpool from Portland.

idaho lad
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
The timing last year sucked. We had that storm and there were road closures on 90 and 84 so I couldn't attend. Way big time snow.

I'd like to go and I can bring my 12 man tipi equiped with large and Arctic stove and can haul it on my sled.

Had it down to -10*F a couple weeks ago. Tipis and stoves are good things if there is a nice location to pitch.

SuperBadger
10-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Ah, the 12 man would be a great wintertime shelter! I bet that arctic stove puts out some BTU's! I remember your misfortune from last year!

OR_Wildfire
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
The timing was good last year, plenty of snow. I'm up for anywhere, especially since I am probably the only one from last years group that doesn't have to work around a job that time of year.

evanhill
10-23-2008, 08:20 AM
I meant the timing seemed to be good for most people's schedules. It's hard to schedule around snowstorms ahead of time. Plus, it would be unusual if we had as much snow again this year as we had last year. I tend to think that less snow would give us more options because access would be easier into a wider variety of locations. Heck, last year we didn't even make it into our intended trailhead until the snowplow came through the next morning.

SuperBadger
10-23-2008, 08:27 AM
And even then we almost didn't make it because that guy almost ran our tents over!

snakey2
10-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Weather and schedule permitting I will try to make it this year.

Kevin B
10-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm sketchy at best. You know how I am. I'm always tight making the summer rondy a sure thing. Loop me in for the details and if I can swing it I will. I have a 12 man, but only a large stove.

Will there be moose meat? I'm running low on whitetail and you never know when I'm going to have a bum year so I'm looking for scraps where I can find em.

snakey2
10-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Kevin there will be moose meat unless I eat a couple of pounds everyday till then.

Kevin B
10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Sounds like yer sayin it's iffy. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

snakey2
10-29-2008, 07:58 AM
It is probably a safe bet there will be some left then. I can only do about a pound a day and still keep my svelte figure!

Siskiyous2
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I would love it if you did it in Central Oregon. Count me in.

evanhill
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Ok, since the NE winter Rondy is Feb 7th, that leaves us with either late Jan or late Feb.

The badger and I were out camping in the Ochocos this weekend, and there was plenty of snow there for a ski and pulk trip. Skiing has been even better in the Cascades over the past week or so, so it looks like we'll be set for snow.

Usual drill - we'll nail down dates and then call the location based on attendees and snow conditions as the date nears. Given that, any preferences from those who might attend between late Jan and late Feb?

Bushcraft
12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
The Pacific NW Sportman's Show is in Portland, Feb 4-8. The NE Kifaru Rondy is the same weekend. The RMEF 25th Anniversary Elk Camp is March 5-8.

I'll throw in a vote for a date/location that will allow the most people to attend. I know, I know...very helpful.

My druthers would be for sometime in January, preferably the 17-19th since the 19th is a stock market holiday (MLK).

SuperBadger
12-25-2008, 01:13 PM
As of right now, either one works for me.

The Ochocos would be a great spot for the trip.

Ed C
12-25-2008, 06:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The RMEF 25th Anniversary Elk Camp is March 5-8.
</div></div>

It's in Ft.Worth,Texas!!!!

Should be a great time any one planning on attending?

BIG BALLS IN COW TOWN /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

scothill
12-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I won't be able to carry a pack or anything over 15 pounds until the 14th of January. So I would vote for Feburary personally.

christianh
12-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I usually just lurk/read but I would like to get in on the rendezvous. I live in Leavenworth, WA. I have a Kifaru pack, teepee, and sleeping bag. I work as a paramedic two days on/four days off and have lots of vacation to use. Any day is good with me. I can easily get to Bend, OR in six hours. I used to work on the Warm Springs Res. with a helicopter firefighting contractor and I am familiar with the area.

Christian Hanson

medic16
12-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Late January sounds good.

snakey2
12-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I am actually NOT on call that weekend so that would work for me. I am still on call every other week which limits my windows of attendance.

Randy
12-26-2008, 06:34 PM
You guys have a blast! I'm opting out this year...again. Last winter we had the big snow just before the Rondy. This year...the snowiest December on record and we still have a week to go. We've had in excess of 45" at our place and all I do is fuel the tractor, tighten the chains and move snow for 3-4 hours a day. Rumor is we are going to get another 40"+ in January, then things will quiet down for awhile. I usually love getting out in the winter, but when all you do is work to keep the driveway open sometimes more snow can be a bit much. Heck, it's so deep the dogs can only walk where the roads are plowed, they sink in and get stuck:0

OR_Wildfire
12-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I have to be in Redmond the 1/28-31 for training, but other than that I am off. I might have training the last week in feb too, don't know yet. Other wise I am wide open.

kgk

snakey2
12-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Maybe we should have it at Randy's place, sounds like he has the snow for it!!!!

Jason
12-28-2008, 12:16 PM
My time off is VERY date specific, so there's no point in talking 'bout that yet, but I would like to throw in another vote for the Bend area. My wife is dragging me to HI in February, so a January rondy would fit in my world better.

evanhill
12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
OK, it's short notice but there seems to be lots of support, so lets call it for Jan 17-19th. Location TBD, but right now the bulk of folks seem to be clustered closer to Central Oregon with only one Puget Sound outlier.

Can I get a preliminary roll call for those dates to start thinking about the location?

On a side note, a Chinook just blew in last night and it is actually raining clear across the crest of the Cascades right now (I just crossed them). Things will certainly change in the next three weeks though.

SuperBadger
12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
I've got to check on those dates. For me there's a potential conflict, but it's not 100%.

Hopefully I get my new pack by then...

Bushcraft
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Evan,

I've been called worse. Looks like this seventh generation Oregonian will be taking a trip in the south easterly direction.

See you then. Have a great week!

Allen

SuperBadger
12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
BTW I've got an extra sled if anyone doesn't have a pulk and wants to try one...

Jason
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I just got to work and checked my schedule. I'm off the 17th to 19th, so count me in.

I'll be coming solo, so let me know what I can bring for food and gear to help the group.

David Walter
12-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I turn 50 on the 22nd, so anytime before that works for me and the huntress.

SuperBadger
12-31-2008, 10:22 PM
I checked my schedule and I am good to go for those dates.

Randy
01-01-2009, 01:19 PM
OK, it's official...61.5" of snow for December in Spokane. The snowiest month ever since record-keeping began in 1880. Only 3.3" of that fell prior to December 16th. Today it's snowing hard again and we're forcast for 9-18" more over the next 24 hours!!! Keep in mind the totals are the official measurements at the airport weather station...Deer Park usually gets considerably more than Spokane or the airport. I'm guessing we've had total snowfall of close to 6' so far. Getting to the point of having no place to put all the plowed snow. My driveway is a fortress of 6' high berms:)

David Walter
01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Randy,

Headed to the gun show this weekend?

Randy
01-02-2009, 07:37 AM
David,

More than likely I'll be plowing snow again. Tracy is headed to the Tri Cities...if she can get out of Spokane for the AQHA end of year banquet so I'm baching this weekend and trying to get ready to go back to work. Last I heard a couple of buildings at the Spokane Fairgrounds had collapsed due to heavy snow loads, are they still holding it there? The Big Horn show has to move because of the damage.

Take Care