PDA

View Full Version : Zulu vs ZXR

Armadeli
07-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Yep the ZXR is an upgraded Zulu, but does the Zulu fill a niche the ZXR can't? Or is the ZXR a total do it all, sell that Zulu while you can bag? Any hard core Zulu guys here? Or how about some converts? Or maybe collect the whole Kifaru set with action figures.

eggroll
07-06-2006, 06:10 PM
what exactly are you asking?

Boltgun
07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
sounds like a few things:

- which should I get from exsisting users who have had both
- is the ZXR a replacement for the ZULU? IE should he even bother with the Zulu or just go ZXR
- "i'm sitting on the fence and need to justify the extra expense of the ZXR"

wish I could answer any of them from experience, but I guess the most reasonable anser would be what are you going to use it for and do you need to carry the extra gear?

Boltgun

Armadeli
07-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Egg, I'm not even close to a purchase yet. But weighing options and possibilities. I don't want opinions based on my applications and needs, but on others needs and apps. I already know what would be recommended to me. If you must pick one of the two, which and why? Maybe you'd pick the ZXR b'cuz of size or the Zulu because you have an EMR. Whatever the case may be...

Atrick-Pay
07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I've got a Zulu and I'll stick to it!
Perfect size for anything and
built to survive anything forever.
No Zippers or Internal pockets to break or catch.

And with a few pockets on it,
if everything doesn't fit then I'm carrying to much!

I had a EMR for a few monthes,
Just to much pack to much of the time fpr my needs.

IMHO

militarymoron
07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
like boltgun said, it'd help if you state your applications and needs first, so people with similar applications and needs can answer you.

straps
07-07-2006, 03:45 AM
ZXR based on Zulu form factor; top loading Bergen style with sleeve pockets and adjustable height. ZXR bigger, adds beefier suspension and bottom access to the main compartment. Blah blah blah search and you shall find more discussion in other threads.

ZXR built for increased volume, and comensurate increase in weight. The Zulu maxes out for most at 50 lbs. Humped my ZXR 20K w/75 lbs the other day with no constrictive pain. From the perspective of a lowly end user who's seen the Omni (Marauder/Zulu) Wrap Tech (Navigator/Pointman) and Duplex (MMR/EMR) systems, the ZXR is an evolution in that it combines the best features in the suspensions of the Wraptech and Duplex suspensions.

Zulu is great for daily carry with usual load (hydration bladder, laptop, gym gear, day planner, jacket) PLUS some groceries. Campable in the spring and summer.

ZXR will carry all that PLUS a couple changes of clothes, 3-season sleeping bag, medic kit (w/IV kit), comms (w/batts), chem protective gear, inclement weather gear, another hydration bladder, ammunition, etc. Campable for much more of the year.

Oh yeah, Marauder/Zulu have to be re-fitted based on body armor or not. ZXR has more length to it; doesn't require re-fitting when changing uniform posture.

As was said above, you will get better feedback if you outline your needs.

straps
07-07-2006, 07:35 AM
MilitaryMoron's Zulu discussion
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru4.html

MilitaryMoron's ZXR discussion:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru7.html

Military ZXR Pack-out:
http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001474

Downright bizarre Zulu capacity demo:
http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001443

Armadeli
07-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I personally prefer the Zulu. Though I am not sure I can cram all my gear in there. Iíve been using the EMR and even thought Iíve worked hard to trim and lighten my gear, still packing heavy even for the 2-4 days out. Just got to weed out some more stuff. I'd like to use a fold-out with the Zulu. It seems like the fold-out would consume most of the internal space once loaded though. I prefer the old strap your bag to the bottom method for sleeping bags and the sleeping pad, if taken, on top. Pouches on the side (undecided on which ones) and an XTL on top. Thatís what Iím thinkĎin will work for me.
I could probably do without the fold-out. The back panel will probably be bare as I would like to stick my hawk and shovel there. Just as easy to place on the sides though. Thatíd give me room for a back pouch or E&E. Start adding too many packs and Iíll probably wish I went with the ZXR. But I do want to keep it light and trim.
For anyone looking to get into a pack that doesnít already have one of the larger packs, I would say the ZXR would be the way to go. It really seems like a do all. I still havenít laid down any money, so I am still open to the ZXR. Might wind up with them both.

Tollmeister
07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm backtracking a friend of mines posts in these forums and I've realized that I have the same questions and needs!

I will most certainly end up with both Zulu's. And then I'll have a whole happy family of backpacks...

Quick question: Can you close of the sleepingbag-compartment on the ZXR like you can on EMR/MMR?

Mel
07-12-2006, 05:55 PM
The ZXR does not have a true "sleeping bag compartment" like the EMR/MMR. It's more like a bottom lid for easy access into the lower half of your ruck. There is no divider panel in the ZXR like there is in the EMR/MMR.

Mel