PDA

View Full Version : Marauder questions

dnd45
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm looking for a new pack for EDC, three-day kit, woodsbumming and hunting.

I was ready to order the Eagle A-III-P (non-PALS version), but I keep coming back to the Kifaru Marauder. Maybe it's the high praise for its suspension, important as middle age encroaches and prior back and knee injuries assert themselves. Maybe it's the organizational possibilities, or the reputation for bomb-proof durability. Maybe it's all of the above, and then some. Anyway, on to the questions.

First, other than the slight weight penalty, are there any drawbacks to PALS? Do empty loops snag on vegetation? Are there problems with stitching failures? Anything else I might want to consider?

The Zulu looks neat, but I think a panel loader would be better for my envisioned use of this pack.

Thanks for your help.

Daryl

westrek49
07-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I haven't had any problems with snags on branches or other vegetation with my marauder. Certainly no problems with stitches or other pack components and I've been loading, and abusing, the sides with lots of extras for work. External pockets can catch if you are going through dense brush - the loops themselves are tight with minimal play so you shouldn't have problems if you keep it bare. If you want a streamlined pack you might want to look at the express or the hunting packs but the internal organization of the marauder is what I wanted. It works well although the extra weight might be an issue on long hikes. I find the suspension to be comfortable for reasonable loads but the larger packs might be better for what you want. You might get some more useful comments from those who have tried the other kifaru packs in addition to the marauder.

Chucker
07-05-2006, 07:07 AM
+1 - what westrek49 said.

I've had more brush catch on big external pockets on big packs than empty PALS. Kifaru uses bartacks on the PALS webbing so you won't have an issue there. I constantly play with different pocket configs all the time on my packs and haven't had a thread loosen yet (and those MALICE clips aren't easy on those PALS loops). I think for overall utility, having PALS is worth it. Even if you don't use many/any pockets. PALS makes it easier to lash/bungie stuff to the outside of your pack. I like hanging a Grimlock on a conveniently located PALS channel occasionally. Internal PALS are great for dummy cording or clipping small pull outs for pens, lights, keys, USB sticks, etc.

For EDC, I tend to like panel loaders. They seem to accomodate 8.5 X 11" documents better and it's easier to rummage though when your small items fall to the bottom. Of course with the Marauder, you'll have less problems with this because of the internal organization possibilities. I would think that the Zulu would be a little big for (my type of) EDC.

It's my opinion, but I think you'll like having suspension over a pack without it. Kifaru packs seem to melt into your back and move with you when you've got the suspension set correctly.

Ubique
07-10-2006, 01:58 AM
dnd45,
I have a marauder, and have had no problems with the pals catching on vegitation, patrolling through woods, crawling through bushes etc.

In regards to the weight issue it heavy when its on the deck, but you somehow lose 10-20lbs when you stick it on your back due to the suspension set up.

loose threads, blown stitches, not a single one, its been thrown around by others (who have no respect for kifaru) on abd off of vehicles, dragged across various surfaces and still going strong.
BTW the mistreaters were dealt with /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hawk_308
07-14-2006, 05:43 AM
No problems with the pack hanging up , but I hang my 308 savage tactical off the side of it and the gun hangs stuff of course.