PDA

View Full Version : N. Ga. AT Hike! Nov 15.

Aaron
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Time: Weekend of Nov. 15... Friday through Sunday. (We'll probably be done Sunday afternoon depending on how fast folks hike)
Place: Georgia Appalachian trail (exact route TBD)
Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
Area information: We will be REMOTE. As in, it'll take us about 3 hours to get to the nearest hospital.
Climate: A night, it will be COLD. Expect freezing temperatures at night. Average temperatures for that area IN TOWN is 59/34 in Nov. It will be colder than that on the mountain. PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

This thread is to gauge interest and availability. We'd be hiking about 10-15 miles on the Ga. section of the AT.

It's a bit short notice, but I thought it'd be better to get it done before the holidays start and before the truly cold weather sets in.

What do ya'll say? If you've got an interest, chime in and we'll get more exact.

ToySldr
10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
That is around the time that I have been planning on heading out there to go backpacking... Definitely won't be able to get there until late on friday since I have to work. It would be generally around a 30 mile complete hike?

Aaron
10-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh no, no. 15 miles total. We'd be hiking through, with a vehicle at the end to ferry people back to the start.

We're going to start at Woody Gap and hike south to three forks.

ToySldr
10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Ah well, what the hell... Hopefully we can get more people in. As long as my wife doesnt say I'm freaking crazy.

Aaron
10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Outstanding. I've got a few folks from another forum that ought to show up... but at the least, it'll be 4-6 people.

Aaron
10-14-2008, 01:38 PM
More precise details:
Time: Weekend of Nov. 15... Friday through Sunday. We'll link up Friday morning and get done Sunday afternoon.
Place: Georgia Appalachian trail. Looking like it'll be Woody gap to Three Forks.
Duration: 3 days, 2 nights. Seriously.
Area information: We will be REMOTE. As in, it'll take us about 3 hours to get to the nearest hospital.
Climate: At night, it will be COLD. Expect freezing temperatures at night. Average temperatures for that area IN TOWN is 59/34 in Nov. It will be colder than that on the mountain. PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

The trail mileage and elevation breaks down like this (Note: 0 miles on this chart would be springer mountain, south of three forks)
We will be hiking this backwards - from Woody Gap to Three Forks.

04.1 Three Forks (2520 ft), where three streams converge to form Noontootla Creek, USFS Road #58. Campsites available north of A.T. along Long Creek.
04.9 Blue blazed trail to Long Creek Falls.
07.6 Hawk Mountain Shelter (3130 ft) with privy and water down path behind shelter.
08.1 Hightower Gap (2854 ft), junction with gravel USFS Roads #42 & #69.
14.9 Gooch Mountain Shelter (2775 ft) and privy to left on short side trail. New in 2001. Excellent spring, tent sites.
16.3 Gooch Gap (2784 ft), USFS Road #42 leads 2.7 miles to Suches, Georgia.
19.9 Woody Gap (3150 ft), paved GA Hwy. 60 with good parking. Suches, Georgia is 1.9 miles to left.

For woody gap, go to maps.google.com and type in "woody gap, ga"

We will have a vehicle parked at the end of the trail, and will ferry folks back to woody gap.

-----------

Words of warning/what to expect:

This is a fairly remote trail. There are no camping areas at the Woody Gap trail head. If you need overnight stay information, contact me and we'll figure out what'll work best for you. There are options, and if needs be, I can meet folks on Thursday and we can camp in the wilderness areas Thursday night.

There is a lot of elevation change. Water will be certain at the shelters, but there probably won't be much in between. Be prepared to PACK WATER. Even though it ought to be fairly cool during the day, you MUST drink or you will become dehydrated after you've sweated everything you've got out. I suggest hydrating in advance!

The shelters are available. If you want to make use of them, no problem. If you don't, no problem. They are solidly built shelters and offer 3 wall protection. There are tent sites near the shelters.

There is NO running water. There are NO flush toilets, although the shelters both have a privy. This is NOT an RV campout. If you get sick on the trail and can't go further, we will claim rights to your pack and everything in it, stash it, and drag you out by the collar.

Plan for freezing temperatures overnight. YOU MUST HAVE INSULATION. PLEASE DO NOT WEAR COTTON. If you're using a sleeping bag, a 20* bag is a minimum.

Please bring food and PLENTY OF IT. It's easy to underestimate the number of calories you will burn walking up and down the mountains. 2000+ per day is a good starting point. You need to have food. (If you're the MRE type, estimate 1.5 MREs a day)

If this is your first time camping out, please contact me prior to showing up. This is not a good trip to find out your gear doesn't work.

Aaron
10-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Damn. Gotta change the date to the weekend of the 22nd.

ToySldr
10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Crap, won't be able to make it that weekend, I have a family function that weekend. Maybe some other time I can link up with you all.

Gizzmo
10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm going the 7-9th of Nov.
Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap.
I've got some friends coming up from Mobile.
Same group I went to Montana with in July.

Then I generally get back out the weekend before Thanksgiving also.

Aaron
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear it... maybe next time, 'eh?

Aaron
10-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm game for both weekends.

My buddy and I have been scared of doing that stretch. It looks like a killer in terms of elevation change...

Just tell me where and when you guys are meeting!

ToySldr
10-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I just got the worst news ever... I'm an Infantry Drill Sgt in the Army, I was suppose to have had a 2 1/2 month cycle break to go to schools and get some "professional development" we pick up a new group of soldiers 10 days after my current group graduates. I am so furious!!!! I had so much planned! I had to vent.... Ahhhhh!

Patrick
10-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Good country out there. You men will like this trip. I recall testing early tipis and stoves on the AT in N. GA about that time of year. Nightime temps. were in the teens. We sure 'nuff appreciated that stove. The traditional 'shine too. Have a great trip!

Gizzmo
10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks Patrick !

If you ever make it to this part of the country look me up.
We'll find some nice N Ga mtns to ramble in.

I'm looking at maybe just my Paratarp. I'll maybe leave the Paratipi and small stove home. We also have a few hammock hangers going. The trail shelters are cold places this time of year. My group has a few younger people making a first hike, so it will be a fun trip.
Water has been a little scarce in some areas the past 2 years.
Last year we were under fire bans.
I need to check for this year. We have had a little more rain.

John

ToySldr
11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Gizzmo, I'm heading out there this coming weekend, Springer Mountain to Woody Gap and back. I get off work Saturday morning at 8, hoping to drive out there from Columbus, GA be on the trail by 12 or 1 pm.

ToySldr
11-12-2008, 02:15 AM
I had an awesome time! It got a little chilly on the 2nd night, a little bit of frost on my tent. I didn't go as far as I had liked, but it was an awesome trip! The ZXR did great, I definitely packed more than I should have, about 70 pounds, but hey, for the first time backpacking I guess it wasn't too bad. Definitely doing the military moron mod on my XTL, I'm going to try and post 3 pics, hopefully they come out.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/TxSWATCop/IMGP2947.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/TxSWATCop/IMGP2950.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/TxSWATCop/IMGP2953.jpg