PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Two Zero and Kifaru

TheJab
06-19-2003, 02:04 PM
I finally found Bravo Two Zero the movie and bought it. Had seen it once before on a small TV and really grainy picture quality. One thing that stuck out from the excellent depiction of SAS section tactics was the venerable Bergen packs that the operators were carrying. The poor sods had to ditch their 200+ pound packs in order to create some distance between them and the Iraqis. All these guys could go on with was their 1st line kit. Now imagine them with a Kifaru EMR/MMR and a Marauder/Scout piggybacking. E&E would have been a little more comfortable with some extra food/ammo/ranger blanket (considering the Iraqi winter!! weather).
Just a thought... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Razor
06-20-2003, 07:28 AM
You can take that even further. Imagine if they would have confirmed their commo plan before infil. Imagine if they had a solid E&R plan, rather than "walk to Syria". Imagine if they had a good compromise plan. Imagine if they had done like pretty much everyone else and went mounted. The greatest danger a SOF trooper faces is believing his own press.

militarymoron
06-20-2003, 07:58 AM
screw that! i'm imagining MYSELF with kifaru's entire line of products...in green, coyote and DTS... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
MM

TheJab
06-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Tru Dat Tru Dat!!
For Razor, you're absolutely right. Yes, the failures by G2, G3, G4, and the section itself were truly unforgivable. The constrast between Bravo Two Zero and the Sabre Squadrons is glaringly obvious. However, the one constant variable between all the troops regardless of their comms and log issues was their pers kit - 1st line and rucks. The operators managed to hump 200+ pounds of kit into the field, but when the balloon went up, the reality of improper kit became obvious - in my mind at least.
As a recce soldier, I've always believed in a two-pack (not the rapper) system: main pack and a patrol/radio pack. Jury-rigging has been the name of the game. The Canadian army is getting a new load bearing system - tac vest, small pack, and rucksack - but there is no provision for piggybacking. The idea is to stuff the small pack into the larger pack when not in use. A waste of space, esp during longer missions.
Sorry if I'm venting. I know the Marines and the rest are going through their own growing pains.

Tacsit
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
TheJab, as I understand it, the small pack will attack to the back of the ruck, and the small pack system pouches can attach either to the back or sides of the ruck or the sides of the small pack. The only problem I have with the system is that a.) we reservists probably aren't going to see it for another decade, and b.) the small pack looks to be a bit too small for my tastes. On a side note, Bravo 2-0 ditched their rucks, but they still had their 2nd line gear on, not just their 1st line. What unit are you with btw?

TheJab
06-26-2003, 05:15 PM
I'm with intelligence. Good thing with my unit, they don't care that I have non-issued rucks or packs... All the senior mbrs care about is getting the job done. Same can't be said for a number of other units I've worked for/with.
You're absolutely right about the miserable delivery times for anything new... Still waiting for the CADPAT. I checked on the Clothe the Soldier site, just to be sure I wasn't mistaken about the new load-carriage eqpt. The link for the rucksack states "the rucksack cannot be worn at the same time as the small pack." I have a friend who used to work at DLR (the guys that test all the new gucci gear), and he said the concept was to stuff items in the small pack (20 litre cap - same as the Scout), and the small pack would stuff inside the rucksack (80 litres - roughly same as the MMR). The small and large accessory pouches would be like the MOLLE pouches - attach them to the packs or the tac vest. Keep in mind this is still all in the definition stage. I'm not even gonna go there.
Getting the MMR and the Marauder was the best I could do for my kit woes.
Now it's time to think about the three-pack of duffels... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

TheJab
06-26-2003, 05:26 PM
And you're right about the 2nd line gear for Bravo Two Zero... They had all their fightin' and dyin' gear with them... for some reason my mind was stuck on 1st line. Ooops.

"Ex Coelis"

Tacsit
06-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Int op eh? I'm an infanteer, Royal Regiment of Canada in Toronto. You're very lucky your unit is open minded WRT non-issue kit. My unit is quite anal about the matter, despite my attempts at tying to get certain pieces authorized for wear... sigh... When I read that line on the CTS site I interpreted it as saying that one couldn't have the small pack on your back and wear the ruck at the same time. Now, I thought I saw daisy chains on the back of the ruck you could lash the small pack to but maybe I was wrong. I'd go for the MMR if I could, but the price is just killer. Add the exchange rate to it and there's no way I'd put down that much for a ruck. I could buy a pistol for as much as the MMR so no go there. I absolutely love the design though and think it's easily the best internal frame military ruck ever created.

eggroll
07-01-2003, 06:54 AM
ah but its such a NICE pack to fondle too.
Being that I am just over an hour away from Kifaru world headquarters definitely helps - Its a matter now to get them to build my MMR our of this luminiscent screaming dayglo orange material I have sittin around /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

EGG

Razor
07-01-2003, 07:17 AM
You may jest, Egg, but I wonder if some of the local SAR units would be interested in a bright colored MMR or EMR? Mel, Patrick; have you talked to any of those guys lately?

Patrick
07-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Razor--

Nope, haven't heard from 'em. Good thing too, as we're humping to get the new stuff into the pipeline! One more "color" and we all implode.

Razor
07-03-2003, 06:57 AM
I guess there's truth to the saying "the worst enemy of good is better". /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif