PDA

View Full Version : ARC Flashlight?

SuperBadger
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Does anyone use one of these or have any experience with then? I ordered one today after needing a small LED light to carry with me at all times, and reading many solid reviews. Just curious as to what people think of them.

web page (http://www.arcflashlight.com/) ARC AAA LED flashlight

Atrick-Pay
06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Best company and light on the planet.

I've had (and given away) about 20 AAA
and had four different ARC-LS. Still love'n my ARC4.

Check out candlepowerforums.com for the people as crazy about lights as most here are about packs.

westrek49
06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Second that. There are newer lights out there, brighter, smaller, more gee wiz but nothing quite fits the need of a light on the keychain that you forget about but is there when you need it. My current one is about eight months old, traded out as the newer ones are a bit brighter. Drop my keys all the time, mud and dirt encrusted more often than not but going strong.

edited to add: runs a long, long time on a single battery

SuperBadger
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by anthracitic:
Which one did you order? </div></div>I ordered the AAA premium model. It's supposedly 2.5 lumens brighter with the same battery life, only 10 dollars more. Another question, have any ARC owners tried lithium AAA's in your light? I'm curious if it gives a significantly greater run time.....

SuperBadger
06-27-2006, 08:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Atrick-Pay:
Best company and light on the planet.
</div></div>Next to Kifaru of course /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

(well...not the light part, but I'm sure if Mel and Patrick decided to make lights they would be as great as their packs)

westrek49
06-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I have a lithium in mine. A regular AAA does just fine and you don't need to spend the extra money for longer run time. However, the lithium battery is a bit lighter - silly I know but there is a small weight difference. Agree with you on Kifaru - the best. I like buying things handcrafted in the US that are engineered and built to last.

SuperBadger
06-27-2006, 09:20 PM
amen to that. I can't even count the number of times I have declined a product and ordered over the net, or bought used, or otherwise put forth more effort to find US made goods. Some things are hard to find, but most of my outdoor gear is made in the US. Can't wait to get this lite on my keychain! I'm hoping they aren't back ordered, I put in the order at about 11am today, and it hasn't shipped yet, but my guess is it will probably ship tomorrow. I'll probably go stock up on AAA's when it comes in, seeing as more and more of my electronics are running on AAA's instead of AA's.....

Mind's eye
06-28-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a ARC AAA.

I was chasing one a while ago but missed the boat when ARC went out of business /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Was a real pleasent surprise when I stumbled upon the new ARC AAA on Lighthound and found they were back in business!

-

As people have said, they're not the brightest, whitest etc but they're about the best little package keyring light you can buy imo.

Smaller than they look in the pics (smaller than a mag solitaire), light, strong with a good none slip / shine hard anodized finish and waterproof to a good few feet, it's a pretty solid bit of kit.

Brightness wise they might not be as bright as something like a Fenix P1, but they run on cheap and easily available batteries for in excess of 5 hours, throwing enough light to see your way around a dimly lit office and easily enough light to safely navigate a pitch black house.

Mine lives on my keyring and replaced a much larger / brighter Inova X5 as my daily carry light, as whilst not as bright it was 'bright enough' for the day to day tasks I needed.

Furthermore It'd been added to my regular hiking kit as a backup light - I carry a Garmin 301 and a Petzl Tikka XP both of which use AAA batteries, so it's nice to have a spare (battery compatible)light which can be used to to read maps (without dazzling companions) and is waterproof incase the Petzl (which isn't as water-resistant) goes down.

There as so many positive reviews of the old light and even more of the new improved model. This really is one bit of kit I reccomend to everyone who's willing to part with a little extra money for a quality item /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Doug
06-28-2006, 02:02 AM
+1 on the new Arc AAA (premium) amazing little light, got one for myself and my Dad (he loves it!!) We both keep them on our keys, super bright for a one AAA light, great finish and build quality.

SuperBadger
06-28-2006, 05:53 AM
I have a CMG infinity, which I still use quite a bit, but it's deffinetly too big for keychain usage, plus as far as I know it isn't water proof. I still keep it in my grab and go pull out though, in case I need an extra, or need a red LED light. I hope they ship this light in a timely fashion!

Mind's eye
06-28-2006, 06:46 AM
One thing that's frustrated me a little is the lack of variety offered now.

I appreciate why it's done (smaller product line is easier to produce, less cost etc), but ARC used to offer a variety of lense colours including Red and UV.

Still. I'm happy to have such a solid product back in whichever form.

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention is the nifty old trick of using the supplied pocket clip to fasten the ARC AAA to the underside of a peaked cap for some handsfree action /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Always handy to have options especially if they cost nothing.

SuperBadger
06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
good suggestion for the hat! I hadn't even thought of that. I read on the candlepower forums that some people wear them around their necks. I think mine will love on the keychain with some sort of quick release mechanism, like a clip.

thewolverine
06-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I think the new Fenex P1 is pretty small and powerful and not too pricey. Lighthound is GREAT!!!

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/fenix_p1.htm

thewolverine
06-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I think the new Fenix P1 is pretty small and powerful and not too pricey. Lighthound is GREAT!!!

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/fenix_p1.htm

SuperBadger
07-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Just to give an update, I recieved my ARC-P in the mail a couple of days ago, and I am thoroughly impressed. I don't know how I survived without a handy light before! I have used it for everything from a handlebar mounted light for my bike for night commuting, to finding my way through our dark garage, and it's great! It's deffinetly coming with me on all of my trips from now on.