PDA

View Full Version : SNIPER WATCH

anthracitic
06-20-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.telford-services.com/511.htm

Aimless
06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah it's supposed to calculate bullet drop, I suspect a mil dot master is a bit cheaper. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Does it do windage too? I'm not too hot at that, I think it is a skill learned through more experience than I have.

Besides I would probably lose the darn watch anyways.

BrooklynBen
06-21-2006, 07:52 AM
From what I know, it does windage and a number of other calculations. (I think it will even read out in the Horus Vision system calculations.)

Pre-release literature said it even had a hidden hand cuff key compartment, but unfortunately it's not there. Guys say that even though the watch is large, it's still comfortable to wear.

I think that the watch was designed to fit a market somewhere between carrying sniper software on a Palm PDA and old school estimated scope adjustments. As I understand it, one pre inputs the caliber and load specifics and then just before the shot 'clicks' in the elevation, distance and windage.

imported_Scott Cunningham
06-22-2006, 09:08 PM
According to the guys over on Sniper's Hide they work as advertised.

I have a 5.11 HRT on order, but I'm getting the dress one (a bit smaller, with metal band). Should be here soon. I'll posy if its worth a damn.

They will release a new version in the fall with the following features:

Features 5.11's exclusive SureShot(tm), ballistic calculator from Horus
Vision., Digital compass indicates direction and degrees,5.11
proprietary quick-connect strap,extension for wearing over gloves,Hi-density
poly-carbonate construction,Turnable bezel face,Standard digital time
functions: home,day/mo/date, three time zones, alarm, chrono, timer.

Aimless
06-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Does the horus vision system require their reticle or would it work with a standard mil dot? Just curious. I saw some promo stuff at the Horus booth at Shot a few years ago and seem to remember they have some different reticle set up

06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
It can be set up for either

BrooklynBen
06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Aimless - go to their web site and dig around. They used to have a great simulation available where you get to practice shooting their system through one of their simulated scopes.

I looked it up, here it is;
http://www.horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=demosystem

06-26-2006, 07:38 PM
OK, my 5.11 HRT dress watch just showed up. Thing is big. You certainly know that you have it on your arm. Its built like a tank (and this is supposed to be the smaller one). I think it weighs 4-5x as much as the Timex with nylon strap it replaced. Setting time and date and such is easy. Haven't started with the ballistic calculator. Will save that for the range on Friday.

Overall it looks pretty good. Looking forward to testing out the Horus software

militarywatches
07-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi, I'm Trevor from Telford Services who supply the 5.11 HRT watch. While it is only one of the watches we sell it is one of the most popular. As well as selling to military and police marksmen, we have also supplied several to shooters who compete at International level. They all seem happy enough with the watch.

If you have a genuine use for the software in this watch then it offers excellent value. If you are not a long range shot then you would be wasting your money.

07-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Good point.

I shoot in sniper matches, and have a Horus style reticle in my long range scope. The watch fits in with that and makes a great addition. Normally you have to use a PDA, but with the watch you don't need it.

If you don't need all the ballistic functions, then there are probably better tactical watches out there. If you do use long range ballistic computers, there is nothing else like this.

So far so good on the watch. The weight and bulk take a little getting used to, but it is certainly well made and rugged (which is good, I'm tough on gear).

Scollins
07-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I just received a 5.11 HRT watch in Titanium. This thing is HUGE!!! I'm glad that it was the titanium version and not the SS version, as the weight would be considerable. I really like the watch, even though I haven't tried out the ballistic calculator function yet. I've got the leather band on right now, as the rubber band wasn't as comfortable. The watch is huge though, almost as wide as my wrist.

I don't know if I would buy one for $300, but since this one was free, I won't complain!

BrooklynBen
07-16-2006, 10:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by militarywatches:
Hi, I'm Trevor from Telford Services</div></div>Hi Trevor, welcome! I've always been curious why the pre-release information on the watch all said it would have a "hidden hand-cuff key compartment", but then when the watch was finally released it wasn't there?

I personally thought that would be a very cool side function for a watch.

If you know the background story on this issue, I would love to hear it. Also, any chances of this option showing up in a future 'special edition' of the watch?