PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru at Yosemite

Chucker
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
My wife and I decided to spend a couple of days in Yosemite hiking around for our anniversary this weekend. I used that as an excuse to go to the gear shed and select some 'appropriate' Kifaru items. I decided to take an Express with an E&E docked to it and an Emdom 4X4 MALICE'd to that. I also had a set of Esstac MiniMeds that I attached to the padded belt.

On the first day, we hiked up 'Upper Falls' trail. In the main bag I had a couple of towels, 2 pair of mesh 'water shoes', a 3L Camelbak Storm (bladder only), and wallet, keys, and cell in the chamber pocket. In the E&E, I had 3 extra bottles of water and 2 Kifaru field chairs. In the Emdom 4X4, I had sunscreen, mini first aid kit (pain relievers and band-aids), and my eyeglass case. The Esstac MiniMeds held a Magellan Meridian and Cannon digital camera in one and Stiener 10X24 compact binos and map in the other. The pack and all the pouches held everything easily with room to spare. I wanted to use the extra pouches more for compartmentalization than for extra capacity. I have to say that the E&E docked to the Express is one nice, trim package. I could feel how slim the Express' profile was while threading through branches. It seemed like I could just slide right through without getting caught. Going up to the Falls was about a 3+ mile hike all straight up. Thinking back to last week's Mini Rondy with Mel and Dan, I was glad that I didn't have my fully loaded Pointman or my weapon on this hike. The Express was rock solid all the way up. Never shifted, slipped, or started to pull on my shoulders. We hiked up for about 3 hours and took a break. The sound of the Falls was incredible even though we weren't that close. It sounded like a jet engine. Even about a mile away, you can feel the cooling mist on some sections of the trail. The power of the water was unbelievable.

The second day we just relaxed and checked out the Sugar Pine train museum just outside of Oakhurst. I undocked my E&E and just cruised around light and simple. The versatility of the Kifaru system is excellent. My wife even remarked that she liked the E&E docking (probably because I was the one carrying all the stuff). Anyway, here are some pics of the trip.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Yosemite/Yose1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Yosemite/Yose2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Yosemite/Yose3.jpg

Chucker
06-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Oh by the way, I never got any stares or sideways looks from anyone over the OD, Coyote, or MultiCam. And the 'Flower Power' was out in force, I tell you what.

Aimless
06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
I lug around kifaru multicam stuff all the time, no one has paid the least bit of attention to it.

Mel
06-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey Chucker, nice pics! Sounds like you guys had a great time over there in Yosemite. Glad to hear the gear worked out well for you. Maybe I'll see you this weekend?

Mel

militarymoron
06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
nice pics, chuck - did you take any of the falls?

Flesh Thorn
06-21-2006, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chucker:
Oh by the way, I never got any stares or sideways looks from anyone over the OD, Coyote, or MultiCam. And the 'Flower Power' was out in force, I tell you what. </div></div>They were too afraid to stare. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Chucker
06-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Mel - Thanks! Yeah, it was nice having a couple nights of uninterrupted sleep (no baby).

MM - Got a couple nice ones of the falls. Didn't have time to download. My wife 'owns' the camera. I'll try to post when I get a chance.

FT - /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

militarymoron
06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
chucker - you go tell your wife that YOU own the camera. it falls within the 'electronic toy' category that us MEN control. it is only out of our kindness that WE allow the women to fiddle with those things. you're the MAN OF THE HOUSE - go remind her of that right now and get those pics up PRONTO.
and if my wife lets me turn on my computer again later before beddytime, i'll be sure to check them out.