PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Need to buy 2 Tipis and 2 packs very soon-Which ones & accessories?

CanadianLefty
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Patrick, Mel, fellow forum members,

I also posted this in the hunting forum, but since I am interested in the military line of packs, I thought I'd get a good response here too.

Situation:

Given lead time to produce and ship Tipis and Packs I need to make a decision within next few days on which ones to buy. My first trip is 4 weeks away and the bulk of my hunting is in late Aug to Nov.

I'd like your opinions/suggestions from those of you who use Kifaru equipment.

Here is a little about the type of hunting that I do:

At least two-three 5-10 day hunting trips in Canada each year. Mainly northern Quebec (resident only zone) and Labrador via float plane (usually solo, sometimes with 2-3 buddies) for Caribou. Sometimes I even hunt them in January and February in snow and -30C. Alberta Rockies, usually with 1-2 buddies (Elk, deer, spring bear). Manitoba/Sask, sometimes Colorado for deer, bear, fishing. Quebec for Moose. Planning trips to Idaho for Mulies, Dall sheep in NWT, second trip to Africa, B.C. elk, goat- all within the next few years or so.

I also like to hunt, time permitting, on weekends for deer or scout for other species.

I usually hunt, where possible, unguided and I cape, skin and quarter/debone all my own game, depending on the situation.

Here is what I am almost positive to buy:
1. Paratipi with small stove.
2. 8-man tipi for base camps either solo (if flying in) or with buddies if backpacking in. I would probably get the Mosquito mesh (bugs), liner (winter) and SSTs with Large Stove.
3. EMR backpack or LH Guide model- not decided yet. I like the Olive Drab color of the EMR and it looks more rugged and attachment friendly. Probably will order with XTL extended hood and Cargo Chair and gun bearer.

Here is what I am not sure at all about:

What daypack or weekend pack? It has to be airline compliant as I'd like to use it as my carry-on. Usually, I think either Late Season or Spike Camp meet that criteria.

I am torn between the Express (similar to Spike camp)with back pouch and the Pointman (similar to Late Season). I like the lightness/steamlined design of the smaller pack, but I'd like the extra room and carying capacity of the larger day-pack. For weekends, the larger one seems better, though on short day-hunts, not sure how well they cinch down?

Do I need two cargo chairs or are they universal?

Ideally, I'd like a large pack to go on my extended trips while also be able to pack or piggyback along my day-pack to hunt from my base camp.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies!

CanadianLefty

AbnMedOps
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I'd strongly consider Coyote Brown for the packs. I think it might blend better in the autumn in northern Canada, and would be great for the African bush. Also, CB (or might not) look less military in your travels. I have read that camo patterns are prohibited or suspect in some countries.

My 2003-era Kifaru packs are Olive Green, selected mainly to be inconspicuous amongst other US military gear. However I can mix-and-match with Coyote and various colored pouches attached.

Cargo chair is universal; you only need one (as long as you have it when you need it!). Multi-cam?

Dave R.
06-19-2006, 06:29 PM
lefty....you are on the right track with everything....sizes are right on....btw, I think the express is a tad heavier than the spikecamp...

Your choice of Tipis is great...

Here's my take on the piggyback day pack plan for an extended 5-10 day hunt. This is what I learned when I hunted out west as a resident of Colorado....I have a longhunter standard...its as big as I would ever need, and I've never exceeded it...I have had it for over 8 years. After packing into camp...I unload it and stock it for hunting and survival, cinch the straps down on the bag and I use it as my day pack...and I love it....the gunbearer is rock solid, and I have plenty of room to put clothes in during the day when I have to strip down....plus, with the cargo chair, I always have a good place to sit...and I have a great frame for hauling meat...sure it weighs a little more than a day pack, but it really feels secure to me as a day pack too...so with my style on a big trip, the need for a second day pack is not there...also...did you know that the top pockets of the longehunters can convert into good sized Day/fanny packs??

Now for shorter day trips and short hunts...a spike camp sized rig could really be great..

Dave

panzertroop
06-20-2006, 05:20 AM
A few things to consider, and are my opinion only.

coyote is great but also looks allot like deer hide, something to consider. Also hunting packs have been made in the military colors (custom order).

the EE maybe what you need for a daypack. But that depends on how much you haul for day use. The next step up is the Scout which is great as a daypack and has the added hydration sleeve.

From my understanding this will piggyback onto a longhunter.

NOTE to Mel and Staff. How about some cross platform shots of the military line mated with the hunting line. I want to see how the mil pockets set up on a hunting pack.

panzertroop
06-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Remember this post:

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002798;p=1#0000 09

Mel
06-20-2006, 07:59 AM
The military pockets Dock n Lock onto the compression straps of the hunting packs. They look the same on a hunting pack as they do on the military packs /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif .

Mel

panzertroop
06-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Mel, I think your missing a cross marketing opportunity. They may look the same, but it seems like allot of people have the question of what works and what doesnt. A picture is worth a thousand words after all. It seems like this question comes up in the hunting section from time to time.

Mel
06-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Panzertroop, we've sold quite a few military pockets to guys that have the hunting packs. There are really only 2 types of our military pockets that will work well on the hunting packs. Here's the rundown:

E&E Back Pouch and Back Pouch: these can be Dock & Locked on the sides or front of the packs, using the pack's compression straps.

Long Pockets (Top Zip & Side Zip): same as above.

The Dock & Lock Claymore could probably be used, but the D&L webbing is spaced a little close to be used effectively on the compression straps of the hunting packs. They would be at too much of an angle, and I wouldn't recommend it.

So, as you can see, our military pockets that you can use on the hunting packs are limited, and the ones you can use, would mount in the same positions on the hunting packs as on the military packs. Hope this helps with any confusion guys may have, when contemplating the use of our military pockets on a hunting pack.

Mel