PDA

View Full Version : Beach Demo & BBQ (Update)

Mel
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Hey guys, I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and finally decided to post about it, to test the waters for interest. I'd like to put together a Kifaru Beach Demo and BBQ out here in California, about 3 miles down the beach from my place. This would be a chance for the guys out here on the West coast to come and check out all of the Kifaru Military Gear first hand. Of course it would be open to all to attend, no matter where you're from. It would be held at Seacliff Beach State Park, where there are ample picnic areas down on the beach, complete with tables and BBQ's. At this time, I'm looking at the end of September for this event. It will be a 2 day, Saturday and Sunday, event. A BBQ will be included on both days to include food and drinks. Unfortunately, there is no alcohol allowed on the beach.

I would have the full line on display, to include all packs and accessories. You will be able to load up the packs with weight, and test them out. The spot I will be using sits right at the base of the stairs where I do my stair workouts, so you will be able to test the packs under load while climbing. Also, you have miles of beach to test on, with hard packed sand or deep sand, whichever you choose. It's a great spot for ruck testing.

I will be giving pack fit demos, and offering tips and techniques for the entire line. Patrick has said that he would try to get out here for this event. I'm sure we will have some type of swag to hand out to the attendees /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . This is a beautiful area that I live in, where you have the beach to enjoy, and 10 minutes away, you can be on mountain trails in the redwoods. You can bring the family for the weekend, where not only can the wife and kids play on the beach, but there are many other attractions to see. Here is a link to Capitola, where I live. It's a little village that sits right on the beach with lots of quaint little shops, and a good selection of restaurants and bars.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/cpt.html

Next is a link to Seacliff Beach State Park, where the event will be held. It is just 3 miles down the beach from Capitola. There are RV spots available here for those of you that have RV's. You do need to make reservations.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/seabeach.html

Here is a link to Santa Cruz, which is just 6 miles from Capitola. Check out the Beach Boardwalk. It is one of only 2 amusement parks left on the beach on the West coast, and there is no admission.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/scruz.html

So, as you can see in these links, there are lots of things to see and do in this area, and ample accomodations. You also have Monterey/Carmel only 40 minutes away, where you have the famous Cannery Row and Monterey Bay Aquarium, along with many other attractions.

If you guys like this idea of a beach demo, I will make it happen. I think it would be a great time for all. You could make it a family outing, and come for the weekend, or for you guys that are close, come on over for the day. Let me know what you think.

Mel

straps
06-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm there Mel...

...blacked out for 29-30 July and 5-16 Aug but if it's just about any other weekend I'm there.

Mel
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
That's cool Straps, looking forward to it. By the way, where are you located?

Mel

axisofignorance
06-19-2006, 03:50 PM
lol Im sure my gf will be thrillled when she finds out Im going to try and drag her to kifarupalooza.Providing I fix my car by then Im there.

SuperBadger
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
If I didn't have school during that time I would be there in a heartbeat, if it were on the oregon coast I would be able to attend. Anyhow, have fun to everyone who does go! Great idea for an event Mel!

MATCHGRADE
06-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey Mel, Id love to come out for that. I pretty much already own the "pack line up" /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
but it sounds like a good time any way.

Chucker
06-20-2006, 06:56 AM
I'll be there!

BrooklynBen
06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by axisofignorance:
"kifarupalooza"</div></div>Hey, I like that! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I've been working on the bureaucratic 'ins and outs' regarding camping in Central Park. If this "Beach Boy Kifarupalooza" gets enough interest, perhaps I'll try to work on a similar January or February "winter camping demo" here in New York City.

axisofignorance
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I forgot to ask if there was regular tent camping around there.

Dan M
06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Mel,
I'll bring the whole family over the hill for beach demo days. Get some tipi's sent out for demo as well. Thinking about a 12 man for the family, need to convince the wife on how cool they are.

Regular tent camping is availabel nearby in the Sant Cruz mountains, Henry Cowell State Park is very close. Big Sur and Monterey coast are about an hour and a half away. Closer is Big Basin State Park that has walk in, and back country spots along a trail that goes form the mountains to the beach north of Santa Cruz.

Mel
06-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Dan had some good suggestions on camping spots, but there is one that is even closer. Check out New Brighton State Beach in these links. It is a beautiful campsite amongst the trees, up on the cliffs above the beach. There are 112 campsites for tent camping, car camping, and RV's. New Brighton is just 1.5 miles up the beach from Seacliff Beach State Park, where the beach demo and BBQ will take place. In fact, you can just walk down the stairway to the beach from the New Brighton campground, and walk to Seacliff along the beach. Here's a link to New Brighton State Beach:

http://www.santacruzstateparks.org/parks/newbrighton/index.php

In this next link, just scroll down to New Brighton SB, and click on for a video clip:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/video_gallery/

I look forward to making this happen, and hooking up with you all. Dan, there's not really any room to pitch tipis, but I will probably set up a ParaHootch, and hopefully have samples of the new Kifaru sleeping bags to show off.

Mel

Mel
06-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Decided to make this a sticky /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif .

Mel

Raven67
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Mel,

Count me in as long as I'm not flying on the weekend that you choose. Give me a heads up so I can figure out the duty schedule. By the way, just ordered my Scout based upon your suggestions. Thanks, really looking forward to getting it. Now I have an excuse for a bike ride.

Raven67

Rich9644
06-29-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm not one to speak much on these boards, but i'll be there. It'd be fun to place names with faces.

-Rich

Mel
06-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm really looking forward to meeting all you guys, and putting this together. There are 2 possible dates I'm looking at for this event. That would be the weekend of Sep 23/24 or the following weekend of Sep 30/Oct 1. This is the end of summer, when it will be less crowded. Also, these are dates that Patrick has open, so he can fly on out here and be part of the festivities. Let me know what weekend works best for you guys, and I'll try to pick the one that seems like the majority can make.

Mel

Red Republican
07-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Sweet! a weekend of surfing and Kifaru packs. I'm all over this!

Mel
07-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey Red, look forward to seeing you there. Where abouts in Cali are you located?

Mel

Dan M
07-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Mel, I think that 30 SEP 1 OCT weekend looks good for me.

Mel
07-12-2006, 11:05 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that the new Kifaru sleeping bags will be unveiled at the Beach Demo. This will be the first chance for anyone to see and handle the new Kifaru bags. I think you will like what you see /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . I know I'm looking forward to it /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

Mel

Rich9644
07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
+1 on Dan's scheduling suggestion.

straps
07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
+1 for 30 Sep/01 Oct

Mel
07-13-2006, 09:12 AM
OK guys, the official date for the Beach Demo &amp; BBQ will be the weekend of 30 Sep/01 Oct. This now allows everyone a chance to schedule for this event. Hope to see you all there.

Mel

EdRuth
07-14-2006, 07:01 AM
That date works for us too

Red Republican
07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey Red, look forward to seeing you there. Where abouts in Cali are you located?

Mel </div></div>Mel, I'm in Davis (ugh). I used to get to Santa Cruz regularly for surfing, alas, a new child and being self employed don't mix with dropping everything to surf. Frickin responsibility. Will be there dragging the family along.

Hog Hunter
07-15-2006, 05:01 AM
I freqquent the hunting forum, but saw this posting and will plan on making it. I'm interested in the new Kifaru bag and some of the military packs. I own a late season and longhunter.

The demo sounds great. I met Patrick several years ago at his shop in Colorado and will look forward to meeting you.

Marc

Dan M
07-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Way cool on selecting my date. I should be there. I picked taht weekend because it straddles the federal fiscal year - so very very low probability of the National Guard screwing up my weekend Kifaru plans. Usually good beach weather that time of year too. Looking forward to that sleeping bag fondle.

Ubique
07-17-2006, 07:19 AM
I'll be there in spirit, gonna be on my promotion course /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Mel, if there is a spare swag bag at the end of the weekend I'll be happy to pay the postage to UK. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Kifaru freebies, gotta be done

Mel
07-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm excited to see the list of attendees growing. It should be a really fun event. If anyone has any questions, or needs more info on the area, just give me a call toll-free at (866-308-1911) which is a direct line to my house. Feel free to call day or night.

Mel

Raven67
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Mel,

Count me in, just found out that I am off during that weekend, but always subject to change. By the way how was your weekend down south?

R67

Mel
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
R67, roger that, and hope to see you there. The weekend down south was great!

Mel

RV
07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I am mainly a lurker, but I am a proud owner of a Zulu w/ accessories. I did not make it to your suite during SHOT, so I can't miss this one. I will be there most likely with the wife and baby.

Robert

X-ray Dave
07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm there !

Dave

Mel
07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
X-ray Dave, PM sent.

Mel

Ralph
07-28-2006, 07:15 PM
I wish there was some way I could get to the west coast for this. Sounds like a blast and I would dearly love to meet the guys attending. Kifaru attracts the finest kind of people.

For several years I was the firetender for a 300 person barbeque. Went out the day before to dig the 5' x10' x3' pit and build the fire. Camped alongside and tended the hardwood fire all night, burning down to solid glowing coals. Next morning, various cuts of marinated beef, pork and game, slow cooked and lovingly basted with 6' long swabs. Huge pot for boiling corn. Great stuff.

Paladyn
07-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Mel,
will Kifaru being holding any events in the Northeast?

Mel
07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey Paladyn, welcome to the board. There are none planned yet for the Northeast. We're going to see how it goes with the Beach Demo, and plan from there. We're thinking of doing a demo in the spring in the Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area. If these events are successful, we will plan for more in the future.

Mel

Ralph
07-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Not a demo as such, though there is enough Kifaru gear that it could be, but the last couple of years we have had a rendevous in Northville, NY in March.

epw
08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel:
We're thinking of doing a demo in the spring in the Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area.

Mel </div></div>WooHoo! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Thats what Im talking about. Now lets just hope Im not on the other side of the world when spring rolls around.

PHfactor
08-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey Mel,
I made plans to visit my Dad and attend the Demo.I'm really looking forward to checking out the new sleeping bag.

Mel
08-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Hey PH, that's good news. Looking forward to seeing you again brother.

Mel

ctlist
08-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi Mel,

See you there.

Chris

Mel
08-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey Chris, welcome to the board, and I'll be looking for you at the demo.

Mel

wolfmen
08-26-2006, 07:37 PM
please take more photo and share to us.

Mel
08-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to keep you all updated on the event. Everything is still on track as far as the dates and location. Patrick is coming for sure, and will be arriving here on Friday the 29th.

The times for the event will be 10:00am to 6:00pm, on Saturday (Sep 30) and Sunday (Oct 1). There is NO alcohol allowed on the beach where the demo will be held. Also, please DO NOT bring any firearms, real or not, down to the site.

I will have ALL the Kifaru Military Gear products on hand to fondle, try on , and test. As stated before, this will be the official unveiling of our new sleeping bags. There will be weighted stuff sacks and other gear to put in the packs for testing under load. You're welcome to bring any non-Kifaru pack that you may own, for a head to head comparison with a Kifaru pack. Also, you can bring your 2nd line gear, if you want to see how it integrates with our packs.

Those of you that want to party or just hang out and BS in the evenings, I invite you to come over to Capitola Village, which is about 3 miles from the demo site. There are several restaurant/bars available for food and drinks, right on the beach. The nightlife is varied, with bands, DJ and hip hop, pool, or just hanging out and drinking. You single guys will definately enjoy the sights /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ! We will be down in the Village on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, just hanging out and having fun. Come and join us.

You can use mapquest to get directions right to Seacliff State Park, and I'll post directions right to the demo site, with a link to a map showing some parking sites. Check the links I posted up in the begining of this thread, for info on food, accomodations, campgrounds, and things to do and see in the area. If you have any questions, just post them here, or call me toll-free at (866-308-1911) which is a direct line to my house. Feel free to call day or night. I will keep you updated with any new info here on this thread. See you there!

Mel

landshark
09-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Mel,

New here but been a fan for quite a while and lurking around a bit.

Unfortunately I'll just be getting back in country and won't be able to make the event. But do you plan to make it an anual thing? How about Shot will you guys be there this year?

Mike

Mel
09-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Mike, welcome to the board. Yes, we would like the Beach Demo to become an annual event. We won't be making the SHOT Show this coming year, as we weren't able to secure a hospitality suite near the convention center. We will definately make the 2008 SHOT in Vegas. Sorry you can't make the Beach Demo, but there should be plenty of pics posted here on the message board after the event. Stay tuned.

Mel

Mel
09-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey guys, I should have mentioned to bring your Kifaru pack(s) if you want any help with fitting, or just want to try on different pocket configurations, and see how they work.

Mel

1/19th
09-08-2006, 04:40 AM
Mel,
Wish i could make it but i have to finish up here in the big sandbox. I am looking forward to seeing this new sleep system. I have been holding off buying a new bag just to see what you all have come up with. In my year here in Iraq i have started a cult following for your kifaru gear and more than one person has tried to talk me out of my zulu. Hope I can make it to the next get together. Also when will that system be on the website for everyone to see?
Take care and keep at it with the awesome gear.

jakeg

Mel
09-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey Jake, thanks for your support of our gear, and thank you for your service to our country. You and your bros stay safe over there.

I'm not exactly sure when the sleep system will be up on the website, but I do know that there should be plenty of pics and info up here on the message board right after the beach demo /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . Stay tuned.

Mel

Lynn
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Looking forward to being there with the wife and the boy. Coming from Anaheim, CA.

Mel
09-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey Lynn, sounds good! It should be a fun time for all.

Alright guys, it's getting real close now for the event. Maybe now is the right time for some sort of roll call. It would help to have an idea of how many will be able to make it, so we can plan for the food and drinks. Is everyone who posted here about coming, still on board? If you plan on coming, but haven't posted yet, can you check in here on the message board, or give me a call at (866-308-1911). Thanks, and looking forward to meeting you all.

Mel

Rich9644
09-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Mel,

I'm 10-8. I'll be there with a possibility of 2 guests (total of 3 with me included). For the sake of roll call- and food and beverages- lets pretend my guests won't be there. They don't own Kifaru products so screw them.

-Rich

Mel
09-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey Rich, roger that. Your buds are more than welcome, even if they don't own any Kifaru products. We'll see if we can change that /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . See you all there.

Mel

Mel
09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, forgot to mention that we won't have anything for sale at the demo, but will be able to take orders on site for any of our products.

Mel

Teacher in CA
09-22-2006, 10:25 AM
This is just a suggestion...maybe we can set aside a little space for a garage sale of items members have brought. People can then compare their pack against Kifaru. I am thinking of selling my TAD GEN2 alpha pack. But I am waiting for a good replacement before selling.

EdRuth
09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Mel: wife and I will be there on Saturday. Ed

Dave R.
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Don't forget to give us all the scoop on Kifaru's up and coming sleeping bag system... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dave

Red Republican
09-23-2006, 12:56 PM
I will be there with the wife and son. I haven't had any sort of vacation in over a year. Surfing and Kifaru. I'm so excited. See ya saturday!

Mel
09-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Teacher, unfortunately there really won't be any space to set aside for a garage sale, but everyone will be mingling together, making it easy to get the word out if you have anything for sale.

Ed and Red, looking forward to seeing you all there.

Dave, there will be tons of pics and info on the sleeping bags right after the demo, trust me.

Mel

Mel
09-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey guys, for those of you still looking for directions, go to <a href="http://www.mapquest.com" target="_blank">http://www.mapquest.com (http://www.mapquest.com)</a> . When the home page comes up, go to "Directions" and put in your info from where you're leaving, and then fill in this info for your destination:

Seacliff State Beach
State Park Dr.
Aptos, CA 95003

Click on the directions, and you'll have a detailed instruction sheet plotting your course. If you have any questions, post them here, or give me a call.

Mel

Mel
09-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Guys, I will also have samples of all the Hanwag boots from Lathrop &amp; Sons at the demo for you to check out. These are the Trapper Top GTX, Alaska GTX, Special Forces GTX, and the Mountain Light GTX. I'll also have on hand the custom footbeds that they make. You can check out their site here if you're not familiar with them. Great guys to deal with. <a href="http://www.lathropandsons.com" target="_blank">http://www.lathropandsons.com (http://www.lathropandsons.com)</a>

Mel

Mel
09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Okay guys, the weekend is almost here, and I can hardly wait. I just wanted to post some more info on directions to the actual location of the demo. If you went to <a href="http://www.mapquest.com" target="_blank">http://www.mapquest.com (http://www.mapquest.com)</a> , then you already know how to get to Seacliff State Beach. When you are heading down State Park Dr. towards the beach, you will come to the gatehouse to the park. It's a $6.00 fee for all day. Once you leave the gatehouse, you can go to the right which winds down the hill to the beach. When you get to the bottom of the hill, go to the left and continue down the beach towards the pier. Just past the pier on the left, at the base of the stairs, you will see the demo site. Find parking and come on over to the party.

Another option is after leaving the gatehouse, turn left into the upper parking lot. All the way at the end of the parking lot, you will find the top of the stairs that go down to the beach. After parking your vehicle, head over to the stairs, and walk on down. We will be at the base of the stairs on the right.

As you will see, there is plenty of parking, and the demo site will be easy to locate. See you all there.

Mel

resqspt
09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm planning on stopping by on Saturday. I've spread the word within my organization and hopefully will have several others show up. It's going to be a gaggle though.
Anyway look forward to meeting everyone and seeing Patrick again.
EB

Mel
09-28-2006, 09:57 PM
EB, looking forward to seeing you there. Hope your buds can make it also.

Mel

X-ray Dave
09-29-2006, 07:32 AM
I'll be coming over, possibly my buddy will be coming along.

Dave

Dan M
09-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Mel, see you soon. I'll actually be down your way today surging.

Mel
09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Dave and Dan, see ya there.

Mel

Chucker
09-29-2006, 02:35 PM
To anyone going tomorrow, SEE YOU THERE!

Yes, more 'compromising' field chair ride pictures!! HAHAHAHAH!

Dan M
09-30-2006, 10:38 AM
The seeping bag system totally kicks arse. The materials are amazing and the construction is ingenious. I want one badly. I am sure pictures will be posted tonight.

X-ray Dave
09-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Had a good time. Great to see &amp; handle everything. The new sleeping bags are ingenious, very lightweight and compact. Nice to meet Mel and Patrick. Thanks for the hat.

Dave

Dan M
09-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks to Patrick and Mel for hosting a gear demo and BBQ. Enjoyed talking with you all, meeting Dale, Matchgrade, Lynn, and seeing Chucker again. Chuck got a lot of good pictures. Look forward to the final production sleeping bags. Glad we were able to give some input, Patrick. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Sites/Kifaru/Beach_BBQ01.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Sites/Kifaru/Beach_BBQ02.jpg

Ralph
10-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, when can the rest of us get an idea of the new sleeping systems?

imported_airsupport
10-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Need more pics! And details for us East Coast guys.

ophelan
10-01-2006, 08:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by airsupport:
Need more pics! And details for us East Coast guys. </div></div>Agreed. This is just torture. I vote for less Bob the builder and more Kifaru photos. :p

Oh well, it's not like this future Kifaru customer really needs any MORE things to buy...I cringe at the thought of the bill when I get around to placing an order. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Lynn
10-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately, I forgot the camera cord to load my pictures to the computer, but I'll send mine as soon as I get home (tomorrow).

The whole event was perfect. I got to meet Mel and Patrick Smith. If you have never met them before, these are two of the most real people you will ever meet. Not only equipment and multifunction gear geniuses, but they have life wisdom and common sense. Real great Americans.

Anyway, the new sleeping bag system is the most (multi)functional sleeping system ever. I am 6'4" and 300 pounds of outdoor ground pounder walking on size 13 1/2 boots. Most of my weight distribution is in my torso. I slid in to the base bag with boots, cloths and all with Patrick Smith himself looking on. I was able to cinch it down easily from inside. Though I am probably on the upper limit of who would fit in this bag, I fit very nicely. My feet were perfectly in the foot box and my head was not pushed against the hood portion as with most mummy style bags. I did not get ANY of the clostrophobic feeling you get with some mummy bags. Additionally, there was not a lot of that extra space for cold air that you get with other mummy bags. The collar functioned superbly, keeping the warm air where it belonged and the cold air out. I was very comfortable rolling on my side and stomach, which I do often when I sleep. I could move my arms around and could get things out of my pockets while in the bag. I could easily operate the zippers and draw strings from inside the bag as well.

This bag was definately designed by someone who uses mummy bags. I have had several bag systems in the past, and currently, which are efforts to cover a wide range of sleeping temperatures. These other systems use different layering techniques such as thicker insulation on one side than the other or multiple whole bags when put together increase the temperature range. While these other systems are getting better, Patrick has come up with a system that addresses the full range of needs.

First, you get to decide what range you will need for your base bag. I set up camps at such varied places as Death Valley, California (in the Winter), Mount Ranier, Washington and Kenai, Alaska. I need as wide a range covered as I can find. Then you get to choose your layering range. You can add a layer to just the foot box (I get cold feet when I sleep), just the upper body, just the mid torso or any combination of those three. Each of these sections has its own integrated stuff sack (so you can't lose it!) so you just take what you need and use it when you need it. You can also use the top section as an extreme head/upper body coat for those cold days. For those of us who need to sit on watch such as hunters in blinds or snipers, the upper section and mid section can be used to keep warm when you cannot move to warm yourself. The fabric is silent too, unlike most nylon or other fabrics where you get that crinkling noise when you can't make noise.

The fabrics are extreme, just like all Kifaru gear. The Rhino fabric is the best available and the insulation gives the loft with compressability we have always needed.

Speaking of compressability, wait until you see the stuff sacks this stuff comes in! The lateral compression stuff sacks are the most incredible I have ever seen. This demo would have been worth going to just for the stuff sacks alone!

I wish all of you could have been there. I know you would be as ready to buy as I am right now. I can't wait until they are ready for shipment. My son and I are already planning our camping trips to compare this system to our current Wiggy's bags.

Thank you again to Patrick and Mel, and to all who prepared the food for the event. Very excellent. It was great meeting everyone I got to meet. I hope to meet more of you all in the future. There are a lot of great Americans left here in America and Kifaru seems to bring at least some of us together.

See you all out there!

Lynn

Dan M
10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Sorry guys, I took more pics of my kids than gear. The sleeping bags are production proto-types, so I did not go crazy taking pics. Chucker took a bunch more pics of us trying out the gear, so look for him to post those. The sleeping bag comes in a "base bag" and a "3 part layering" outer "bag" (if you put all three parts together. The top layer can be used as an over garment, so you can travel without a "belay jacket" (see psychovertical.com for a great belay jacket (http://www.psychovertical.com/?belayjacket) article).
Mel and Patrick will have a lot more to say I am sure.

EdRuth
10-01-2006, 06:43 PM
We had a great time. The new sleeping bag systems look great, the food was great, and meeting everyone was wonderful. Thanks to Mel and everyone for setting this up! Ed

Teacher in CA
10-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I just wanted to report that it did make a big difference from seeing products in the catalogue and having Mel and Patrick explain the whole system. I was just intending to order the MMR and a few pullouts.

Now, I want Hanwag boots, XTL lid, a pod for the boots, a medium pod for ahem, other things, A gunbearer for the MMR, and a scout bag for running. And the duffle bag to hold it in the aircraft. So I have to figure out how much ramen noodles I must live on to support this. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif And of course to keep breathing when the bill comes in..

I am giving a round of applause for Patrick and Mel for putting this show on.. I am looking forward for more of these demostrations..

Mel
10-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It was great getting to meet you all, and putting faces to the names. I look forward to the next time, whenever that may be.

Mel

Red Republican
10-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey Mel, We just got back from the bay area last night and I wanted to say thank you for the demo and the help with adjusting my pack. I will be placing an order for some things this week. I see an XTL in my future. It was nice to be able to fondle all of that great gear. My wife tried on a few things and has given me a green light to get her a pack!! Hope you guys make this a yearly event.
John

Raven67
10-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Patrick and Mel,

Thanks for a great Demo and BBQ. It was a pleasure meeting Patrick, Mel, Mrs. Mel, Dan, Matchgrade, Lynn, Chucker, and all of the other Kifaru junkies. The equipment demo was superb, the BBQ was great and the conversation was enjoyable to say the least.

Seeing the entire line was perfect. I was able to get some insight into how I want my packs set up and it was nice seeing how everything works in combination together. Mel thanks for showing me how to wear and fit these packs correctly. I am amazed at the comfort to say the least.

I have to say that if you are looking for a sleeping, bag this is it. I have used many, but to date have never found the right one. Like Lynn I'm 6'4" 228 lbs and the fit was just right. The construction and design are superb and the materials are unbelievable. I have not seen so much thought put into one piece of equipment. The adaptability of this bag and the construction are well worth the wait. I can now have one bag that does everything that I want, and I can leave some pieces of clothing at home that otherwise would have been required, saving even more weight. This bag with a Para Tarp or ParaHootch is the perfect set up for those of you who are on Active duty. I wish that this had been on the market while I was on A/D, it would have been in my ruck.

This bag, combined with a ParaTipi or ParaHootch will now be my standard camp set-up. I can carry it in my scout with food water and ammo as my day pack, and the combined light weight and size (compress-ability) will still leave tons of room for extra clothing, food, and water during extended trips in a marauder or larger pack.

Combine this bag with a Kifaru Tipi and you have the Denali Lodge of all lodges for an extended Caribou or Elk hunt. Now were living large. Question is, will you ever want to go back home once that perfect camp site and stream are found?

Thanks again Patrick and Mel. It was a great weekend.

Dale

Chucker
10-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late post. My computer at home is such a dog that I've got to come into work to post pics. Here's a little teaser. Will post more later. By the way, I'd have to say that it was such a relaxing change to be around so many like-minded people all at once. It was really great meeting all of you on Saturday and being able to help out the Kifaru group in my little way. Patrick and Mel run a good ship and it shows in their clientele.

These guys still can do real work!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Set%20up/Brett001.jpg

I was lucky enough to get a little one on one time with Patrick during the set up. You can just make out how small the bags can compress. The bigger sacks are the 20 degree system and the smaller 'sausage' sack is the 40. The compression sacks are like nothing I've seen (horizontal compression!). Great idea. Unlike MM, I was an idiot and didn't think to get a good shot of a compressed bag. We got the 40 deg. 'sausage' to fit into the bottom of a Scout! It will also fit easily into a Long Pocket or a Pod...and that's not cinched down hard yet. I could easily imagine it strapping to the sides, top, or bottom of a pack or under a lid.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Set%20up/Brett004.jpg

Here's a shot of the 40 deg. bag, the three part wrap system all snapped together (minus the upper section) on it's own in the middle and the 20 deg. bag on the right. Attention to detal is the name of the game. I loved the little features that Patrick worked really hard on: non-snag zippers, separate face vs. neck cinch that can be identifiable by feel (in the dark) and the neck draft collar.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Set%20up/Brett010.jpg

Here's the upper part of the wrap system detached and pulled over the head. It's like a hooded vest. The middle wrap section can also be snapped to the upper for a longer 'overcoat' (I forget the word Patrick used to describe the particular garment that it mimicks). Keep in mind, these are still the prototypes so some adjustments are planned.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Set%20up/Brett009.jpg

Well, I've got to earn my paycheck and get into my first meeting of the day. Will try to get more pics up this afternoon.

bmstrong
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Cool! How many people wound up showing up?

Chucker
10-02-2006, 01:55 PM
bmstrong - Can't say for sure how many people were there. I was only there on Saturday for part of the day.

Here are some more shots of the upper wrap. Again, this is a prototype. I'll leave it up to Mel to tell you what changes may be in the works.

Here's a shot of the hood. As mentioned earlier, it has 2 separate pull cords. One controls how tight a wrap you get around your face. The other adjusts how much tension you want under your chin/upper chest.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Brett016.jpg

Here's another shot of Dan M with helmet and goggles underneath the hood. Looks like plenty of room underneath.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Brett017.jpg

This last shot is with Dan M wearing his IBA underneath a loaded out TT 2-piece MAV with X-harness.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/Beach/Brett015.jpg

dangarcia
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm sold on it! I haven't had a piece of Patrick's original mountainsmith or my EMR w/E&amp;E fail or fail to out preform other brands yet so if it works then keep with is my attitude towards anything Kifaru. Bring on the -50 degree nights in FT Greely or Wainwright!!

Mel
10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
John and Dale, it was sure nice to meet you guys and hang out. It's good to hear that you enjoyed the event.

Chuck, thanks for posting the pics. The compression sacks were designed to work well with packs, hence the horizontal compression. This allows you to make more efficient use of the space in your pack, instead of ending up with the typical soccer ball type shape of most compression sacks, which leave gaps that are sometimes hard to fill completely, in the bottom of your pack. The compression sacks only weigh 2.25 oz, but are amazingly tough. As you can see in the pics, we are using the new ITW LineLocs, which are basically tension lock buckles for cordage. There is a little pocket that captures all the excess cordage after everything is cinched down. With the horizontal compression, the bags are able to be carried in a lot of different ways. Like Chuck said, in the bottom of the ruck, vertical in the ruck, on the sides of the ruck, under the top lid, in a Long Pocket, and in a Pod. The 40 degree bag will fit in a small Pod, and it also fits will under an XTL.

The hood section of the bags and the upper wraps, use 2 pull cords going through 1 cord lock. One cord is flat and the other is round, so you can feel the difference in the dark. The flat cord tightens the neck area, and round cord tightens the hood. The upper wrap can be used as a parka, and some changes are in store to make it even better in that regard. About 4 inches will be added to the bottom, with a further taper or tail at the rear, to prevent it from riding up. There is a drawstring in the bottom hem. As you can see in the pics, there are zips on both sides for your arms, but you can easily pull in your arms and zip it up for superior warmth. Imagine the difference between gloves and mittens for warmth factor. You will be able to put the upper wrap on over body armor and 2nd line gear, to stay warm while laying up, and not having to take off your gear. I think you'll like the finished version, once we get it dialed in.

Mel

militarymoron
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
great pics, chuck and all. wish i coulda been there - missed being in the area by a couple of weeks. glad everyone had a good time.
that photo of the bags in the compression sacks is somehow getting me hungry for string-tied roast beef...yum...anyone else see that?

Chucker
10-04-2006, 06:41 AM
MM, you're crazy...yet somehow you get me thinking. My dad used to be a butcher and he used to bring home these big string tied beef roasts. Now that you mention it, those stuff sacks do look like oven roasted beef roasts. I think I'd better go get a roast beef sandwich for lunch today.

SidPost
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm interested.

SidPost
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm interested.

SidPost
01-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Anything planned for this year? I would like to demo a pack before I buy it.

Thanks,
Sid

anthracitic
01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Sid, what's your location?

SidPost
01-19-2007, 06:50 AM
I am in Tucson, Arizona most of the time. I go to Las Vegas about 6 times a year, the DFW area of Texas twice a year, and OKC, Oklahoma twice a year.

Right now I'm in Europe.

yasnevo
02-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Tucson? I live in Tucson too!

Y

pigslayer
04-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Mel, any plans for a beach demo in 2007. I am new to Kifaru and I am looking for a pack for firefighting. I would love to check them out some time.

Pigslayer

Mel
04-25-2007, 08:53 AM
A Beach Demo 2007 is a possibility, especially if there is a lot of interest from customers to make it happen again.

Mel

pigslayer
04-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Let's get one going, count me in Mel.

Dan M
04-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I am in, depending on timing of course.

yasnevo
06-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Mel, I am back buddy... now, where were we with the 2007 BBQ and gear show?

Y-

Raven67
08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Mel,

You can count me in. Cool coastal weather and dinner after a day at the demo would be fine. Do I hear a sport bike ride a day or so in advance?????

sssstfire
09-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Count me in. It's just a hop for me and would be a shame to miss such an opportunity. See you on the 29th.

SSSSTFIRE

Mel
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
SSS, I'll be looking forward to meeting you. It should be great fun.

Mel

towheadedmule
09-06-2007, 07:00 PM
ummmm

for those of us who in less.....convenient locations to the beach, any chance of some of these items pictures being posted afterwards?

R

Mel
09-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Tow, I can guarantee that you will see pics of any new gear shown at the Beach Demo, immediately afterwards.

Mel