PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru vs. Emdom

Dennis in VA
06-12-2006, 06:52 AM
How do Emdom products compare in craftsmanship and durability to Kifaru products?

militarymoron
06-12-2006, 07:22 AM
i'd rank EMDOM up there with kifaru.

doctorrich
06-12-2006, 08:36 AM
EMDOM is tough, but Kifaru is more... "overbuilt" and made for abuse than EMDOM.

Don't get me wrong, they're quality. But Kifaru is bomb-proof.

Dennis in VA
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
That's one of the things I have noticed when looking at other gear. When I got my EMR/XTL I was in awe at the quality AND the "over built-ness" of the product.

seb5
06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Endom is good stuff, but I don't think it's as heavily built as Kifaru. The pouches are built similar to Paracletes IMO. If you wanted pouches built as bombproof with double layers and such I'd say the Esstac would be the closest match. When you start adding pouches the lighter weight can be an advantage. I don't think every little pouch needs to be 2-3 layers thick. For instance, look at the issued crappy ammo pouches. Have you ever seen one fail?

06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Have lots of Emdom products and its quality stuff. Just got the 6'O'4 pouches a couple days ago. Excellent!!! Way to go Ken and MM.

Res.

imported_Scott Cunningham
06-15-2006, 04:35 AM
I have emdom stuff. Its good stuff, and tough enough, but not as rugged as the Kifaru gear.

Both are good. Kif stuff is a bit better made. Buy whatever you want more for the design and functionality. Have no worry on the quality.

I also love the Maxpedition stuff. They have the most innovative pouches on the market. The problem is the workmanship is a little on the consumer side. That being said, the military issue gear I get is usually more flimsy than even the MaxP stuff, so I guess its not a big deal. Being in the military I beat the hell out of my stuff. Nothing has failed, but I just know my Kif products will last longer than I will.

TimW
06-15-2006, 09:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Cunningham:
I also love the Maxpedition stuff. They have the most innovative pouches on the market. The problem is the workmanship is a little on the consumer side.</div></div>Can you expound on that a bit?

As a reseller of Maxpedition gear (since it debuted), I've had only 1 piece of gear returned because something tore or failed, so I am interested in what you mean by that (an M-5 pouch, the top 3/4" webbing piece tore/frayed at one of the bar-tacks...I swapped it out due for customer service purposes, and I cannot tell if it was a manuf defect or use/wear issue).

No accusation on my part is meant, I am just curious as to what you mean.

06-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Have had shoulder pads fray and come un-sewn, a radio pouch with badly sewn seam that blew out, and a zipper that fell apart. I still love their gear.

Lone Piper
06-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Kifaru is produced 100% in the US. EMDOM is based in New York but its products are made in China (Hong Kong). Plus Kifaru products are overbuilt compared to Emdom stuff.

Made in USA, bombproof = Kifaru!

imported_airsupport
06-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Emdom is good to go though

Lone Piper
06-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Don't get me wrong, Emdom has some good stuff and products other companies don't make. Good quality and good prices. But if it were for an identical pouch, I'd opt for Kifaru.

Gizzmo
06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I like the Emdom pouches.
I have 2 4X4 SUV's and a 3" Wideload.
All in Multicam.

DeanJ
09-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Just my $.02

Kifaru seems to set 'worst case' delivery dates (and then works to get stuff done early).

Emdom is at the mercy of when Hong Kong sends them a shipment. They don't seem to have any solid estimates (or control) over delivery dates [at least with my order].

Waiting for the brown truck is sweet misery. I like Kifaru's approach better.

landshark
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I used some Emdom stuff while overseas, overall i'm happy with it, there are some design issues in my opinion but construction wise their stuff is made well. Hope to have some formal reviews together soon. They do make some pouches that from an real world user point of view just don't make sense to me.

Don't have much experience with Kifaru except for my Marauder and that thig is great and also built rock solid, and the best pack of it's size I have owned to date. However there are also things on that I would change, so maybe I'm just picky.

09-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I have both. Emdom is well designed and has lots of cool features, but it isn't as rugged as the Kif stuff. I have Emdom wide-load, BOMB, and a few shingles. They nicely complement my Kif Claymore and side pouches.

One thing about the claymore is the zippers are better, but dont go far enough down the sides to help load in oversized stuff. You will usually get it in, but its a lit of jerking it around to squeeze it in. The Emdom just opens wide up, then you zip it back when loaded.

Just a comment.

dragonunderscore
09-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Emdom won't make items in special colors unless you buy at least 5 pieces of that item. Don't even ask them to alter an item, they don't make it, but their Chinese factory does.

Greets

Hanzo
09-20-2006, 07:29 AM
If you're looking for something as tough as Kifaru gear, get in touch with John Willis with ORIGINAL SOE Gear. Before I went broke I had him build me a drop holster and I am still amazed at how solid it is. I doubt you'll find anyone who makes tougher gear (beside Kifaru of course) than him.

militarymoron
09-20-2006, 08:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by dragonunderscore:
Emdom won't make items in special colors unless you buy at least 5 pieces of that item. Don't even ask them to alter an item, they don't make it, but their Chinese factory does.
Greets </div></div>that doesn't sound unreasonable. most companies like eagle have a much larger minimum order size for custom colours and configurations. some don't even do custom colours.
alterations are best done by someone who does custom work.

Tollmeister
09-20-2006, 08:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by dragonunderscore:

Greets </div></div>Well... I'm not so sure about that. What kind of modifications are we talking about?

I set up a deal for myself and some friends/colleagues. The item of interest back then was customization of Emdoms Blow Out Medical Bag.

The customization I asked for was an extra row of PALS on the backside due to that our LBV's use 2" webbing with 1" of separation. Not to expensive and this extra row of PALS works just great on my vest and the color harmonize great with my other gear.

dragonunderscore
09-21-2006, 06:33 AM
I only want to make clear Kifaru is a bit more flexible towards customer needs as Emdom. (I don't find those other 4 guys who want the same as I and I want the factory itself making the more complex alterations.) But with Kifaru growing this can / will change / is already changed, since Janice will be short in time. Of course this is all logical, but regrettable.