PDA

View Full Version : Nalgene pocket question.

bayani
06-13-2003, 02:54 PM
The new products look great. I have a question on the Nalgene pocket though. Will the PVS-7D NVGs fit in the pocket?

bayani
06-19-2003, 12:47 AM
anyone....beuler....beuler....

Razor
06-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Do you mean the goggles themselves, or the various headmounts (wire and plastic types) as well?

militarymoron
06-19-2003, 03:12 PM
nope, they won't fit. given the dimensions of the nalgene pocket - 3.5" square, the max circumference is 14" around. the circumference of the PVS-7D's are 16" around. uh, if you want a dedicated pouch for your 7's (to carry just the goggles and helmet mount), reccegear and i came up with a design. i'm still waiting for him to send me the prototype - will post pics if you're interested.
cheers,
MM

bayani
06-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I was actually thinking of something to hold both the goggles and the head mount. The Nalgene pocket seemed like it would be a tight fit at best, but the padded pocket and PALS webbing on the outside was enticing.
--MM. I would be interested in seeing the product you and Reccegear are talking about.

militarymoron
06-21-2003, 09:57 PM
will update post when i get the prototype and snap some pics.
cheers,
MM

TheJab
06-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Strange... there should be a dedicated NVG pouch available with a NSN. It comes issued with the NVG, and attaches to the webbing or can be slung over the shoulder. It's roughly the size of a 100rnd SAW pouch, with a triangular bottom. All that's needed is to make it MOLLE/PALS compatible.

Another thought: I've been approached my numerous friends with such questions as "what's this loop good for?, what attaches here?, why so many attachment points? Instead of explaining over and over again what the MMR and the Marauder (and others) can do, why not show 'em? Both the Kifaru site and the military moron site offer good pictures, with some interesting innovative uses seen on the MM site. However, how about PDF docs showing the full capabilites of each unit, downloadable for anyone who's curious in how to maximize the usage of their packs.
I understand that most people who choose Kifaru are fairly experienced, and have a good idea what they want (considering the cost of the packs), however, I'm sure not everyone is quite as imaginative as some others. Also, I'm sure that the MM site helped make up the mind of many buyers who had shown interest in the Kifaru site/packs. How about showing the full capability in focused pdf files, one for each pack, to bring home the superiority of the Kifaru pack system?
Resourcewise, a good digital cam (as used by the Kifaru staff), and some time to play around with the packs is all that's needed.

militarymoron
06-22-2003, 08:33 PM
jab,
yes i have the issue PVS7 pouch you mentioned with the triangular bottom. it's sized to fit some accessories, the head mount and the goggles. but if you're using a helmet mount, and don't need the head mount, it's a bit bulky. it's also a zipper opening - if you're really in the need for stealth at night, you'll have to open it REAL slow. it flops around on the belt etc.
the pouch we came up with fits the goggles, helmet mount, and some accessories only. it was sized to be more compact than the issue pouch and more user friendly (easy to extract and replace goggles with one hand etc). we'll see if it works out.
as for illustrations showing all the features and uses of products, i think that many manufacturers lack that. often there's not even enough information to make an informed decision on the product. kifaru is one of the better manufacturers when it comes to showing the key features of their products, IMHO. of course, i'd like to see BIGGER pics :-) maggie's done a great job on the site tho.
my goal with my site was to provide pics of features or views of products that i was interested in that weren't shown on manufacturer websites. kifaru would love to do that, i'm sure, but it's all a matter of having the time and manpower to do so. kifaru is swamped right now.
cheers,
MM

TheJab
06-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Ah yes. It truly has been that long since I've touched one of those NVG pouches. I forgot that some of the crucial details were not there (as is the case with most issued items LOL). Now that I think about it, some improvements are in order. I'm thinkin something like side-release buckles with optional "hide-away" velcro for the lid - possibly with a collapsible cinch top underneath the main lid (to compress or expand with the items placed inside, plus offer waterproofness), and tapered semi-rigid walls. Are your prototype images going to be posted on your site?
Good luck with your project.