PDA

View Full Version : Military

Dan M
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I, Chuck "Chucker", and Mel linked up for a trek and shootout in the Los Padres National Forest yesterday. I posted pics here (http://web.mac.com/dmarkert/iWeb/Martial%20Pursuits/Kifaru%20Micro%20Rondy.html)
I gave my ZXR its first workout. It worked flawlessly. It was loaded with about 40lbs of ammo, water, chow, shooting supplies, and a second carbine. The TT MAV was about 20 lbs of ammo, water, and blow out kit. I can tell you, that Mel is in great shape and was kicking my arse up the Mill Creek Trail! It was about a 2 hour hike in (almost all up hill) and an hour back out. What a fun day. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
http://web.mac.com/dmarkert/iWeb/Martial%20Pursuits/Kifaru%20Micro%20Rondy_files/DSC03931.jpg

oktec60
06-09-2006, 01:44 PM
That would scare the granola out of some tree hugger.

Mike

Woods Walker
06-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Looks like some kinda AK Dan. Mel is that a H&K G-3 .308? Like the AR. My kinda people.

Mel
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Hey Dan, nice pics! It definately was a great day of hiking, shooting, and camaraderie. We gotta do it again for sure. "Brokeback Creek" :p ? That was hilarious /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif !

Woods, you're right on all accounts. Dan with an AK, me with my HK-91 (.308), and Chuck with an AR.

Mel

wolfmen
06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
thank you. very nice share.

Woods Walker
06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Mel

I have a few AR's and a nice AK from my Homeland Hungarian SA-85 but never fired a G3. How is it? See the targets strapped to the pack. Nothing beats a nice shoot. This is the only Semi .308 I have. The FAL.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/gun.20.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

Makes for a nice Kifaru tipi welcome mat. Oh that new ZXR looks bigger than I expected. Nice.

militarymoron
06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
great website, photo album and pics, dan!
now THAT'S what i call a 'day off from work'.

Dan M
06-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks, guys. It was a great "day off". I had 2 carbines: AKS-47 with a aftermarket rail fore end and an M4'gery 5.56mm (it is packed in the ZXR). We did see one lady at the beginni of the trail with her dog, defintely closer to the granola crowd (she looked more like Grape-Nuts was her choice, though). She was a mildly surprised to see the firepower I suspect. On the way out a car full of Army types in civvies (you know you can spot senior NCOs and officers in civilian clothes) just as we exited the trail head. They were definitely rubber-necking. Other than that we had the great outdoors to ourselves. It was nice of the USAF to give us an F-16 duo fly by as we started the trail.

Aimless
06-09-2006, 05:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by oktec60:
That would scare the granola out of some tree hugger.

Mike </div></div>No kidding, there's a crew I wouldn't want chasing me /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Are those IDPA targets on the back of that pack! Wow I thought I was serious about shooting, I have to admit that I have never packed torso targets in.

oktec60
06-09-2006, 05:52 PM
"Brokeback Creek"

Ya’ll weren’t up there doing some Deliverance “squeal like a pig” thing were you? I have heard stories about you boys out in Kalifornia. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Mike

Hanzo
06-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Next time ya'll are out, give me a holler. I've got detailed topo maps of all the trails around Pozo, northeast of San Luis Obispo. Good hiking and (pig) hunting up there too.

Chuck45Ho
06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Yep, I love days off work like that.

Brokeback Creek?! I was hoping Dan wouldn't actually post that one! Actually, I'm secure in my masculinity since you guys have seen my baby's pics.

Dan, great job putting that album together so quickly.

'Chucker'

wookieJS
06-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Dan, any way u could Load your ZXR like u were going to the Field and then load your issue ruck, if you still have one just so i can see and compare??? PLEASE. looking at getting a pack but not sure wht to get to replace my TT Malice Ruck.

jensenmk
06-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Dan, PM sent.

Dan M
06-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Wookie,
Sure I'll see if I can scrounge some time this Sunday. For starters, you can take a look at this thread where I have pictures of the gear layout and then worn:
ZXR loaded for the field (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001474)

BrooklynBen
06-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Dan - Great stuff, thanks for sharing!!

I couldn't help but think of how very few places are left on earth where three good men such as yourselves could get together and enjoy such an outing as that. It warmed my heart just to look at the pictures, coming out of my old stomping grounding in Kalifornia no less!

May you each have many more such good days. Thanks again.

Mel
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, thought you might like to see a view looking way down the mountain to where we were shooting. If you look at the lower left corner of the pic, we were set up in that flat area, back against the treeline, shooting into the mountain down at the bottom. To the left of the flat is where we went down into the canyon, and followed it back out to the coast on the return trip. Here you go:

http://sjs.jsei.ucla.edu/~sjs/Nacimiento/pages/Nacimiento09.html

Mel

Chucker
06-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Wow, that's a beautiful shot.

Just to clarify what Mel was saying, we shoot from left to right on the photo. Pictures can be deceiving. We can get about 300 yds of useable shooting distance in that direction.

Mel
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey guys, as some of you noticed in the pics, we were packing in cardboard silhouette targets for the shoot. I have a couple areas where I've been going to shoot for the past 20 plus years, down in the Los Padres National Forest. You can't drive to these areas, so you have to pack all your gear in. For these backcountry shoots, I came up with a super simple and lightweight target stand system. You can go down to your local OSH, Home Depot, or Lowes, and buy the materials. First off, buy some 1/4" aluminum rod, and have them cut it into 1' sections, right there in the store. Next, buy some eye hook screws with a hole big enough for the 1/4" rod. You'll need 2 eye hooks for each aluminum rod. Now you've got all you need for the target stands. Take the eye hooks and screw them about 1/2 way into the cardboard like you see in the pics, 2 on each lower sides of the target. Take your aluminum rods, and insert them through the eye hooks, while holding the target upright on the ground. Now, just hammer the rod into the ground with whatever you have available. Sometimes you can just push them into the ground with your hands. You now have a standing target that is stable and secure, even in heavy winds. Like I said, very simple and efficient. Here's the link with pics:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/melt_photos/Target%20Stands/

Mel

militarymoron
06-13-2006, 05:28 PM
that's a great target idea, mel! thanks.