PDA

View Full Version : Tailgunners as Top Lids

Mel
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, here are the pics I promised, showing the Tailgunners being used as top lids. The TG2 is mounted on a ZXR, and the TG1 is mounted on an EMR. All that is needed are 2 slotted female SR buckles that attach to the Pod loops on the bottom of the Tailgunners. The Tailgunners could be mounted like this on the Zulu, ZXR, MMR, and EMR (all the top load packs). Just click onto the pics to bring them up full size.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/m...amp;media=image (http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/melt_photos/Top%20Lids/?sc=1&multi=8&addtype=local&media=image)

Mel

Wesley
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks again Mel. It looks great.
Wes

militarymoron
06-05-2006, 06:48 PM
kifaru lives up to it's 'modular' motto /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Chucker
06-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Because of the ample amount of PALS on both the pockets and main packs, you should be able to craft just about any config you'd want.

phishi
06-07-2006, 01:01 AM
That's what I'm talking about. Good to see it. Order for TG II should be in bound shortly.

Thanks,
phishi

Striker2
07-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Mel,

I'm thinking of replacing the XTL on my EMR with a TG. Even since the Dana "hip lid," I've been a fan of lids that turn into butt packs. My only concern is stability. Both the stock EMR lid and the XTL have pretty widely spaced attachment points (basically at the four corners), whereas in your photos, the TG "bottom" attachment points are more towards the middle of that side. I'm sure I can crank down on the straps to keep the TG from shifting, but I'm wondering what your experience has been.

Thanks,
Striker 2

Olive Drab
07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
hmm...

Striker2
07-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I'll often put a rolled up sleeping pad across the top of the pack; on top of the drawstring/main pack body and under the lid. I'm concerned that if I replace the lid (or XTL) with a TG I, the more closely spaced rear straps won't hold the pad down as well, and it'll have a tendency to slip out (or get knocked out by vegetation).

Does anyone have feedback on using a TG I on top of an EMR, especially with something strapped in between them?

Mel
07-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Striker 2, I haven't tried a sleeping pad under a TG I as the top lid, but it should work if the compression straps are snugged down, the same as lashing any gear under your compression straps. The back of the TG I, which would be the bottom in top lid mode, is not contoured or cupped like a conventional top lid, but that shouldn't be much of an issue once you snug down the compression straps.

Mel

Striker2
07-27-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks Mel. I figure if I have problems with the sleeping pad getting knocked out, I'll slip some female buckles into the waistbelt anchor/optional shoulder strap anchor webbing loops. These look to be pretty near the corners of the TG I, and should make it harder for the pad to pivot out from under the TG.

I suppose I shouldn't worry about it too much; it can't be any less secure than strapping a sleeping pad under the lid of an ALICE pack...

jeriah
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
(Edit: Oops, wrong thread.)

BuckarooMedic
06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Here's another option I just configured. I bought a Top Lid for a Longhunter (ordered it in OD with the CB hardware, standard is black). It's mounted on my MMR which is basically the mil version of the Longhunter. This lid has the built-in Delta waist strap and comes with a shoulder sling. When I return home later this Summer, I'm going to experiment using a set of the Kifaru Shoulder Straps on the lid. Should work, just got to figure it out. The Top Lid also works on my Zulu pretty dang well too. It seems a little "bigger" on the Zulu though. I guess the MMR is circumferentially bigger than the Zulu.

I haven't had a chance to "really" use the combo yet. Just a couple of short hikes in the local woods. Rides well, is very stable, no movement. A cool feature of the Top Lid is that it has elastic material along the side that help snug it down on top of the pack. You can see these strips of elastic as the black material in the second picture.

Kifaru's hunting line is made of the 500 Cordura vs. the Military's 1000 weight Cordura. I think if I had to do it over again, I would get a OD Longhunter instead of the MMR. I've never really utilized all the PALS webbing and most of the external, Kifaru pouches can be added to the hunting pack.

Striker2: The lid has a webbing loop on the "underside" that a strap can be run through to secure a sleeping pad. That, with the elastic, would definitely keep a sleeping pad from slipping out.

Take care,

redstarcluster
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used a Tailgunner as a top lid for their Longhunter? All the pictures show the TG as a lid for a military pack. Can it be done?

jeriah
10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Question: How quick is a TGII top lid to remove? In other words, would it be viable to regularly and rapidly remove the TGII from the pack (to use as a daypack, for example), or is it more of a semi-permanent installation? (Removable, obviously, but not quickly.)

My thought would be to use it as a FAK, on top of my EMR, and I'm wondering whether it would be viable to pop it off and go if someone needed aid, so I didn't have to bring my whole pack. I'm not a medic or anything, but it seems like being able to bring a FAK if someone got hurt would be a good thing.

mobius_flashman
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Of course this happens after I get to finally put my G2 Zulu to some good hard use and decide one thing I can't live without is an XTL. Oh why do you have to innovate and experiment so much! Maybe I can get my Koala to act as a lid so long as the snow collar isn't full of gear, hmmmmm.

Gizzmo
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Mel,
Can you use a G1 Tailgunner I for a top lid also ?

Mel
11-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Those pics are of a G1 Tailgunner I.

Mel

rhunter424
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Necroposting here, but I'm considering using my TG1 as a top lid to give me a better base camp pack instead of my XTL. Is anyone still using this config? Any feedback on why/why not it worked for them in the field?

Drew5337
05-11-2011, 01:57 AM
I played around with this with my TG1 and MMR, both G1. Its cool, but the TG1 is so good at organizing tons of small bits of hard gear that for me it was too heavy as a top lid. It also didn't to as good a job as the standard top lid at compressing the load. My top lid now sports two 2qt's, and D&L buckles on the underside in case I want to add a claymore or small pod. The standard EMR/MMR or Zulu/ZXR lid is very versatile in this way, so much so that I don't think I'd pony up for an XTL. Had one on my Zulu, and it was neat, but what I have works for me.

The TG1 is an awesome little pack though. I think the TG2 might work better as a lid. I REALLY wish the TG series had D&L straps so they could be better used as external pockets.