PDA

View Full Version : some zulu pod questions

Woods Walker
06-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Just picked up an OD Zulu on ebay. Good for everyone as I will need to order some stuff for it. Did the ZULU always come with pod attachments on the bottom or has the Zulu gone though any changes? The pack is listed as new but I don't know when it was purchased. If not can Kifaru retrofit them? I like Melís pics of the XZR with the med pod on the bottom. The pod looks good for a bag or Kifaru TIPI.

It has a un padded power pulls belt. I don't know what that is. Do the padded belts offer more comfort? I have never been a fan of thick padding however I don't think Kifaru's padding is overly thick. Anyways I got fat over the winter and may need to order a larger belt. It will take months slim down. Going to take some of the woodland pockets off my rather sad Molle pack (RIP you nasty SOB)and put them on the ZULU. Does Kifaru make an internal pocket for water (camelbak etc)? If not what do you guys do?

Well after I find out the ZULU bottom pod issue. I will have to order that medium pod. Anyone ever put a small POD on top of a ZULU for rain gear etc? Maybe next week when I call Kifaru. I still have Grommets on the brain for that EMR on order.

Oh one more thing. For the future is XTL for a ZULU the same one used on the EMR. I may want one at a later date (after the pods and maybe a belt all my fun money is gone) if it can be used on both packs.

Mel
06-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey Woods, I punched in "zulu pod" on the search function, and this was the third thread down. It should answer your question.

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001461

You can go to the Omni belt page to find out the differences between the belts. The padding used is very thin 1/4" closed cell foam, so it is definately not too thick. I think the padded Omni belts work a little better if you are going to be attaching any type of hard items to the belt, such as multi-tools, knives, mags, etc..

We don't offer any internal bladder carriers. On the Zulu, you can run a bladder in the side slot pockets. You could hang one using 550 cord, inside the Zulu from the common loops that the chamber pocket attaches to, or just run a Camelbak Hotshot, that comes in a self supporting carrier.

A small Pod with rain gear, will fit on the top of a Zulu no problem.

The XTL will fit the Zulu, MMR, and EMR.

Mel

inFALable
06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Same XTL for all packs. I find that the best place for hydration in a Zulu is the center slot pocket. I keep a 102oz Hotshot in mine. It could be hung inside though through some easy improvisation.

--Wade

Looks like Mel beat me to it.

Woods Walker
06-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Looks like the PODS came out in Late September of 04 and the Zulu in Mid Jan 04 so odds are high it has the attachments being that the ZULU came out about the same time. I will just have to see. But the compression strap idea sounds good too. I liked that search thing on the MB. I will have to use that more often.

Glad to hear the Omni belt padding is not thick. That is one of the reasons I went with the EMR. The belt system on the EMR looked good. I have had bad times with overly thick padding. A person might think this could not be true but thick padding sucks. So if the belt turns out too small I will just order a padded pulls belt.

Too bad about the XLT. I held out some hope it would not work on both packs. This way I would have some beer money one day. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ralph
06-05-2006, 05:00 AM
The differential shaping of the Kifaru belt is very comfortable, even for bony guys like me. The light padding is useful, as Mel mentions, if you are carrying gear on the belt, especially when using metal or stiff plastic clips. The belt gear I make for myself uses folded, unstiffened webbing and velcro for attachment. I find doubled and sewn webbing stiff enough to hold well and flexible enough that it doesn't poke or chafe.

oktec60
06-05-2006, 05:49 AM
WW,
I have both padded and unpadded omni belts and I actually prefer the padded.

Mike

Woods Walker
06-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Oktec60.

The type of padding I am talking about that gave me problems is inches thick. The Kifaru padded belt looks like a better Idea. Called kifaru to add the grommets. She is going to hunt down my pack order. Going to hold off until I get the ZULU for pods/belts to see what is needed. I wonder how stable a pod attached to the bottom with compression straps are? Maybe a pod on the back with molle long pockets on the side with molle canteen pockets. Don't know but that EMR wait is going to kill me. It's only been 3 days. How will I last weeks. Anyone else ever feel this way.

Dan M.

I checked out your pics at lightfighter of the Zulu with pod attached on the bottom. Did that Zulu have the pod loops or did you use the compression straps. If you did use the straps how is this done?

Oh and thanks for all your help. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

TimW
06-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I got a Zulu just after they came out. It did NOT have the PODS attachment loops. I sent it back to Kifaru last year and had them add it.

Woods Walker
06-05-2006, 12:36 PM
TimW

Was it worth doing? How did the bottom pod thing work out for you?

Dan M
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I think I used the compression straps. It was rock solid. Of course it loosened if you pop the top lid open.

Woods Walker
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks again Dan. You and Mel have been very helpful. Looks like a medium and maybe a small pod are in the very near future. All I care about is a solid lock with the POD during the hike etc. On smaller packs I keep everything I may need in outside pockets so the top lid only gets open for setting up camp. If there are no pod loops the strap thing should not be too hard to figure out. I could always use the POD on the EMR too. EMR is so big I canít imagine the need but you never know. I like the Pod thing. It reminds me a bit of the Molle Sleep system carrier. The only good thing in the whole pack.

Adrian
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
http://img0622.paintedover.com/uploads/thumbs/0622/zulupod.jpg (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=0622&f=zulupod.jpg)

Is my zulu with a medium pod attached to the compression straps. As long as you tighten the dock n lock straps well, it's not gonna move around.

Woods Walker
06-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for that pic. Looks like I will have to order a Zulu from Kifaru after all as the other Zulu didn't work out. I like the PODs. Mel came up with a real winner. Just added a large MC POD for the EMR that is being worked on. The EMR is a massive pack but a large POD on the bottom would allow big bulky unexpected items to me carried. Looked at the Cargo chair but believed that the POD would offer a more secure method of packing extra stuff and afast way to back up a large bag. I can't waite to see what the MC POD will look like.