PDA

View Full Version : Tailgunners as Pockets

Mel
06-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey guys, I was messing around with the Tailgunners to try and use them as pockets on a ruck, and came up with the solution. If you want to carry your Tailgunner on your ruck, where you can basically just click it off and go, complete with the waistbelt, then you want a medium Pod. In fact, for those that don't know the history of the Pods, that's what the Pod was originally designed for. A way to Dock n Lock a Tailgunner, complete with waistbelt, to your ruck, and remove it quickly.

Some guys have wished for a way to mount a Tailgunner to a ruck, and be able to work out of it like a pocket. In the pics in the link below, you'll see what I came up with. It's way simple, and works very well. All you're doing is using your ruck's compression straps to secure the Tailgunner to the host pack. Take the waistbelt off of the Tailgunner, and use the 4 tension lock buckles that the Delta straps attach to, and run your ruck compression straps thru these, and then reattach the compression straps to the ruck. The pics show it more clearly than I can explain it. It is a solid and tight mount up.

Maybe you want to use your Tailgunner as a pocket, but you would like to be able to take it off when needed, and use it with the waistbelt. In this case, just leave the waistbelt on, but take the Delta straps out of the tension lock buckles. Now, fold the waistbelt up behind the Tailgunner, and mount it like in the pics. You now have a complete Tailgunner ready to use, just not as quickly as a Tailgunner in a Pod. Here are the pics showing a TG1 on an EMR, and a TG2 on a Pointman. Click on the thumbnails to bring the pics up full size.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/melt_photos/TG/

Mel

Steve46n2
06-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I tried it with a zulu and a tailgunner 1.It works very well.The only thing I did different was instead of undoing the compression straps I just attached them to the remainder of the straps, pulled to compress the zulu then pulled the slack, BINGO! New pocket!Now I going to try to attach my scout to the rig with my "new pocket" in tow! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Steve46n2
06-04-2006, 03:06 PM
cant type worth a damm!

Mel
06-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey Steve, I forgot to mention that part. In some configurations you do have enough compression strap "tail" leftover to do it that way. Thanks for the feedback.

Mel

Mel
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I've been tinkering some more with the Tailgunners in response to an e-mail I received about using a Tailgunner as a top lid on a ZXR. Right now, I have a TG2 mounted on my ZXR as a top lid, and it works like a champ. All I needed was 2 extra slotted female SR buckles to make it work. It looks like the TG1 should work also in this mode, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll take some pics of all this sometime tomorrow, and post them. It seems that the Tailgunners should work on the Zulu, ZXR, and MMR/EMR, as a top lid, that can be removed very quickly. Stay tuned /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

Mel

Chucker
06-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Mel, that's realy cool. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe you can get Maggie to collect up all of the 'Tips & Tricks' that you and everyone else has come up with over the years and make a sticky. I think that would make a really cool 'album' of how to's.

militarymoron
06-05-2006, 08:39 AM
that's a good idea, mel.

Steve46n2
06-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I second that! :p

Wesley
06-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Mel,
Thanks for checking on the fit and function. I am anxiously awaiting the pics, and will probably change up to that as my ruck and mini aid bag.