PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Scout without a belt?

Aimless
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
I only tried it one day without the belt as an around town type bag. It seemed like the bend in the stay that lets is sit properly in your lower back allows the top of the pack to rock back/away from your back if you take the belt off and raise it up so it sits higher on your back.

Not a big deal, really, as I have plenty of other day packs. I just wonderedif anyone else noticed this and if it was a problem with strap adjustment or something,

Mel
06-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Aimless, the Scout is designed as a lumbar pack, and even though it can be done, it just doesn't work well when used without a waistbelt, up on the back carried like a backpack.

Mel

Dan M
06-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Mel is right. You can use without, and I have, when I was using it to carry the family lunch and our windbreakers at Seaworld. Worked fine that way, but the weighgt was pretty negligible. All depends on how you want to use it. If it will have ammo,w ater, or food in it, chances arre it will be too heavy for just shoulder straps. The belt really locks the Scout to your lumbar.

Dan M
06-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Mel is right. You can use without, and I have, when I was using it to carry the family lunch and our windbreakers at Seaworld. Worked fine that way, but the weighgt was pretty negligible. All depends on how you want to use it. If it will have ammo,w ater, or food in it, chances arre it will be too heavy for just shoulder straps. The belt really locks the Scout to your lumbar.

bmstrong
06-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Okay, then I have a question: What waistbelt does everyone use with the Scout?

Patrick
06-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Gents, it's mainly an issue of the aluminum stays (which give it "frameness" for very heavy loads) configuration (the curves being set for your lumbar region), which makes it feel like it's "pushing" oddly when carried up high. Take them out and it'll carry as well as any other frameless day pack at shoulder height.

Aimless
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif